• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose a optics and mount set-up .

GIC

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Always watching
Re: Help me choose a optics and mount set-up .

Bobro mounts get my vote. But they're not listed in your poll.

Of those scopes, I'd go for the S&B 3-12. Though if it was me, I'd probably wait just a bit longer for the 3-20X.

As for the mount, that's easy. One not listed, the AADMOUNT. It was made just for rigs like this. See sig.

Three of your four scopes don't go over 12x, and the last one goes to 42X? Gimmie a break!

You're missing out on a lot of scopes in the middle. Personally, I'd choose something with a 14x-18x top end.

Glock 24,

That S&B that your mentioning is NOT 42X.. its a FIXED 10 power...

Matt.

Unfortunately It looks as though that is only a 34mm, so it limits my options to that size tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Three of your four scopes don't go over 12x, and the last one goes to 42X? Gimmie a break!

You're missing out on a lot of scopes in the middle. Personally, I'd choose something with a 14x-18x top end. </div></div>

I was just putting up some of the ones I've been reccomended, I didn't want to ask the infamous "which scope is the best for my gun" question. It gets asked all the time and no one says what they want to do with the gun or anything. Basically the gun I'm building will be capable of 800+ yard shots and that will be its use, long range shooting. It wont be used for hunting or anything like that as I have other rifles for that.

oppps my fault... didnt pay attention to that one... that is ALOT of zoom...

All seem like good scopes in the end... but some do some TOTALLY different things..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bobro mounts get my vote. But they're not listed in your poll. </div></div>

Bobro only makes mounts for Aimpoints.

Id agree you have a huge swing in mag ranges on your optics choices there, and me personally id ditch the Leupy and NF 12-42 and look for something like a SB PMII 4-16 or NF 3.5-15 with the reticle of your choice. As for the mounts, why do you need them to be QD? Id get a BO 22 MOA riser and rings and rock on

Dont need em to be QD, just thought it would be good to have one that kicked the scope forward the allow room for grabbing the charging handle
I'll check out your suggestions.

This post reminds me of that sesame street song, one of these scopes don't belong with the others. Why for the love of god would you put that Night Force, on AR10, If you had a 408 or a 50bmg ya it would be great.

GIC the F1 is made in America...the other are outsourced but are ASSEMBLED in the USA but not made in the USA like the NF F1. Try not to start a shit storm there

I see you pay for the American made part lol. You know what they say though, you get what you pay for
I think I need to put a ceiling on my price limit, they say you should spend as much if not more on your scope as your rifle, but my rifle cost over 2500 so far..

what- no Vortex Razor on the list - I think you need to do some research on the Razor - it is a great scope for the price range that you are looking.

The F1 is also a FFP scope were the NXS is a SFP scope, so you arent really "paying for American made" its two totally different scopes. But it seems that you have so more reading to do, being that you dont know which scopes you have listed are FFP and what it means and what it does. Not trying to sound like an asshole, but id read some more and research before dropping the kind of coin on the highend optics if thats what you are after

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The F1 is also a FFP scope were the NXS is a SFP scope, so you arent really "paying for American made" its two totally different scopes. But it seems that you have so more reading to do, being that you dont know which scopes you have listed are FFP and what it means and what it does. Not trying to sound like an asshole, but id read some more and research before dropping the kind of coin on the highend optics if thats what you are after </div></div>

No offense taken man. Never claimed I know everything about highend scopes and I'll gladly absorb any knowledge I can get regarding em. I've never really used a scope that cost more than 1000 dollars, never shot past 600 yards.(BTW I know the F1 has its reticle in the first focal plane meaning the reticle stays proportional at any mag.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what- no Vortex Razor on the list - I think you need to do some research on the Razor - it is a great scope for the price range that you are looking. </div></div>

Will do, Jstarz, thanks for the suggestion.

Ok well, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't drop 2500 on a scope at this time, since I'm not going to be doing any competition with it at this time and I'm new to high end optics, I figure start with mid tier, so what would you guys suggest for my setup and a budget of 700 dollars for a scope and 300 dollars for mounts and rings

The gun will be used for:
-Target shooting out to and beyond 800 yards(eventually)
-Doesn't need low magnification since it wont be used for hunting
-AR-10 platform

Too bad everyone doesn't build stuff like they used to, my uncle has a scope he's been running on his Marlin since the 60's and it still works great. Now you have to search and do research or you'll end up with a POS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately It looks as though that is only a 34mm, so it limits my options to that size tube. </div></div>
Of course that isn't a problem with the S&B. You're right though, the 30mm mounts won't be available for another 6 weeks or so.

Given your new stated requirements and budget, I'd recommend a Viper PST 6-24X50 in a Nightforce Unimount (or if you can wait 6 weeks or so, a 30mm AADMOUNT). That's the exact setup I'm putting on my long range AR I shoot to 1100 yds.

Thanks for the advice Jon, did you go with the MOA or Mrad reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok well, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't drop 2500 on a scope at this time, since I'm not going to be doing any competition with it at this time and I'm new to high end optics, I figure start with mid tier, so what would you guys suggest for my setup and a budget of 700 dollars for a scope and 300 dollars for mounts and rings

The gun will be used for:
-Target shooting out to and beyond 800 yards(eventually)
-Doesn't need low magnification since it wont be used for hunting
-AR-10 platform

Too bad everyone doesn't build stuff like they used to, my uncle has a scope he's been running on his Marlin since the 60's and it still works great. Now you have to search and do research or you'll end up with a POS. </div></div>

Would strongly recomend you consider the Vortex PST from a cost standpoint.

Would also strongly recomend you "think" about the magnification statment. Wen you are on high magnification you have a strong probability of getting "sucked down the scope" and losing situational awareness. It is not just a "hunting" thing....

Roger that, thats why I started out asking about 10x fixed. So far I have had 3 different suggestions, 3-12, 4-16, and 6-24 I dont think I need that much either,and I am looking and Vortex

If that is your price range then I would definitely look at a Vortex PST..for an AR I would either go with a 3-12 or at most a 4-16.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bobro mounts get my vote. But they're not listed in your poll. </div></div>

Bobro only makes mounts for Aimpoints. </div></div>

Sure about that? I have a Bobro mount with a Meopta K-dot sitting on my AR. They also make bi-pods and VFG.

http://swfa.com/Bobro-Mounts-C3282.aspx

For an AR10, you should be looking at a lower magnification range-especially for the lower mag number. The S&B and Leupold work, but the 10x models don't, IMO. Others I would have selected:

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x
USO SN-3 1.8-10x
Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 ER/T M5
NightForce 2.5-10x32
NightForce 3.5-15x50
Premier 3-15x50
S&B PMII 3-12x50

yeah for a ar10 i would go up to about 15x. like the nightforce 3-15, you could even do a vortex 5-20x which is a very nice piece. all that range, if you are doin long range with it its nice to have that extra couple x.

Yeah I think I'm going with the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm, and a Nightforce unimount.