• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help me choose a pistol

rocky_lange

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2008
Pelham, AL
Primary function: Duty pistol, security
Secondary function: would like to use it for competition shooting

For the job, they require 9mm or .40sw ONLY, so no .45 recommendations please. Also, must be in a level 2 or 3 holster, keep that in mind as well.
For competition, I require highest capacity as possible, so I am leaning towards the 9mm.

Only Glock I would be interested in is a Gen 4. The grip angle of the Glock does not give me a natural point of aim on presentation. I have to fight the muzzle down to get the sights on target, so maybe the interchangeable straps may help.

My pistol of choice is a CZ 75 SP-01, as I can close my eyes, draw, present to target and when I open my eyes, I am dead on. However, I can't find a level 2 holster for it.

My current comp gun is a Witness, but is 38 Super. Being a CZ clone, it works well for me. I guess I am partial to DA/SA with safety. I like to carry cocked and locked. But, I realize that I may have to go striker fired.

Only pistol that fits my requirements 100% is Berreta 92.

Now, what other suggestions do you all have?

I like the Sig P226, at least it has a hammer, but it is decock and not safety.

Also have been looking at the XD/XDm/XD Tactical. I wish the XD Tactical had the capacity of the XDm. The 5" barrel is appealing.

S&W M&P 9 also is on my radar.

I have looked at the Serpa and the Fobus holsters as far as level 2 goes. I may be missing some other brands, if so, let me know. If anyone knows where to find a Level 2 for a CZ 75 SP-01, that would be ideal.

Re: Help me choose a pistol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sending downrange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey man, blade tech has some nice holsters.
http://www.blade-tech.com/Duty-Holsters-c-258.html
The level 2 holsters are made for a bunch of different models of the CZ. </div></div>

Yep, just found them a minute ago. Anybody use the 5.11 Thumb Drive holster?

I strongly recommen you check out the Springfield XDm. I do not own one (yet) but I put a couple hundred rounds through a friend's and it is the most accurate out of the box striker-fired pistol I've shot. Ergonomics are great, the trigger is excellent and the backstraps are interchangeable. They cost a bit more than a Glock but I think they are fantastic guns. A 9mm will be my next auto (though this place has given me bolt-gun fever).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you need a lighter gun in the future I would go with the XD </div></div>

A lighter gun is fine and dandy, but I like the steel frame to help absorb some of the recoil for competition. I don't mind the weight for long hours carry as my Witness was my CCW gun for a while and it never bothered me. The XD is still high on the list of alternates though. Probably may favorite of the striker fired. A pawn shop up the road has one at a so so price.

I'd recomend going to a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as you can. Then go from there.

In order for me.......
-Glock 17/19 Gen 4
-Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm
-STI Tactical 4.15 9mm
-Sig 226
-Springfield XDm

The M&P is in the #2 spot because I haven't shot it as much as the Glock and the Glock I trust more "right" now

The steel frame has some ability to absorb recoil, but if you get the pistol that has a low bore center line above your hand and a good grip for YOUR hand you will be able to mitigate the recoil better than you would with a heavier gun with shittier ergos....come in to the shop Thurs, Fri, or Sat and get some hands on with all those pistols minus the STI (coming soon) and see which feels best and why.

Definitely do not overlook the M&P series. They have an extremely low bore axis which keeps felt recoil to a minimum. Also take a look at the FN FNX series of pistols. They have the external hammer design and seem to shoot pretty well (only put around 100 rounds down a FNX-40 so far). Good luck with your purchase!

i have carried a glock 22 most of my career but off duty i carry a xd not xdm. if i could i would carry the xd at all times.

be very careful its tempting to want to upgrade your competition side but not wise to upgrade anything on a duty gun but the sights otherwise in court if you have t shoot someone you look like you have been planning the best way to shoot people all along. silly i know but courts are full of un knowledgeable gun people who can be swayed. our department would never allow upgrades except night sights.

I own the XDm 3.8" compact .40 and the XDm 4.5" .40. Love both. The XDm 4.5" .40 will definitely be the best choice imo. Grip safety is a nice feature (some officers at the local PD have shot themselves in the leg with their mandated Glocks, I wish I was joking...) and 16+1 in .40 is pretty nice.... I have also owned a XD tactical and subcompact. XDm 4.5" .40 > XD 5" Tactical .40

Reasons for XDm vs XD, 16+1 instead of 12+1, MATCH barrel instead of regular, and the grip texture and slide serrations are a lot nicer. Adjustable backstrap is also a plus.

I would recommend a Sig. They are extremely reliable, have high capacity, and are probably one of the most accurate pistol right out of the box. The only down fall that I see is how high the barrel sits above your hand. Just my opinion though.

HK P2000, I just got one and love it, I will probably be selling a Glock 23 or 2 soon, since it will be my go to pistol.

The recommendation of renting or finding friends with guns to shoot is a really good idea, some fit and feel better than others, and better to shoot someone elses than to buy and regret.

just an fyi, but sig makes a 226 in SA with a safety

I have two XDm's with the 4.5 in barrel in 40 cal. I really like them. Springfield has also just come out with a new competition XDm with a 5.25 in barrel in 9mm. I would definitely check that out if I was you. I also have an xdsc in a .40 I've never had a problem with any of them.

A friend of mine has a XD 9mm in stock black frame. His store is named Ammo Dump in Clanton, AL. He's a good guy and just getting started. Thought I'd let you know cause he's a small shop and trying to build his name and store up. If you have any ?'s drop me a PM. I can find out what you need to know or get you in touch with him.

Mod's if I'm in the wrong for supporting my friends store here please fell free to delete this and I keep my tonge in check from now on.

HK P30s. (DA/SA with saftey). Can be had in 9mm or .40.

Yeah I would give 'ol blade tech a call to see if they can make you a level 2 holster for the CZ that you like. If you're that solid with that pistol, then I'd vote "stick with it." - and you saved money just getting another holster and not a whole new gun and holster.

For high capacity, and nice grip - I'd vote for a full size S&W M&P 9mm if you were gonna get another gat piece. On this one, you've also got the option of a thumb safety on a striker fired pistol, and for duty carry, maybe you like the optional magazine safety too.

CZ 75 or 85 is my pick if your shooting competition. I own an XD tactical and the CZ outshoots it hands down as far as accuracy goes. As you said its steel frame and absorbs recoil

I'm surprised how many XD/XDM advocates have chimed in! I've had two XDs and while they were very reliable, they also have a ridiculously high bore center. While it seems like I could get a very commanding grip on them, I shoot faster and more accurately with the Glock. Recoil (with the same ammo) is less with any Glock I've used compared to any other pistol. For example: I have a Sig 1911 that weighs 40oz, and it has noticeably more recoil and muzzle flip than my little Glock 30 (favorite pistol).

Personally, I am absolutely convinced by Glock. In my opinion, if the Glock isn't working for you, you're doing it wrong and need to re-learn to do it properly with the Glock...but I know opinions are like @$$holes.

Ultimately, you're on the right track and every pistol you've mentioned has it's own merits. What it really comes down to is trying each of them out for yourself and choosing the one that you are most comfortable with and trust yourself with.

I carry the XD40, XD9, also just got my 1911A1 in .45acp, That does come in 9mm high cap by the way.
XD's come with the XD Gear paddle holster and mag holster.

I'm a big Glock Glock fan. A friend of mine asked me to check out the S&W M&P so I did and all I can say is wow! I love the way this gun feels in my hand. I bought the Pro series which comes with nights sights and a trigger set to 3.5-4 lbs and resets quicker than the regular M&P. It eats all the ammo I feed it with no problems. S&W has great customer service so that is another plus. I hope this gun holds up as good as my Glock in terms of reliability and durability. As of now I would not hesitate to make it my duty gun.

My number one choice would be the STI Tactical in .40sw or 9mm. High capacity, easy to shoot fast and accurate.

I run an STI Edge .40 for IPSC and USPSA and "I" can shoot it the fastest, most accurate out of all the other guns I have. My logic is that if this is the gun I perform the best with, it's the gun I should carry. Especially on duty. The only issue is that it is spendy! That's the only reason I don't own one and don't carry one.

That said, may I suggest a Glock 23/19 or M&P. I'm not a big fan of the XD's and XDm's. The grip is a big weird to me. The polymer is slick, the groove designs are a bit odd, and the "high ride" beaver tail area cut out is too round, my hand doesn't fit it at all.

goodluck!