• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help me choose from my ONLY TWO Knife options

kospap

Private
Minuteman
yeap....

I cannot buy one from overseas, not even from within the EU, unless someones brings it for me.

I want an outdoor knife and for the time being I am only left with these options that can be purchaed locally in Greece.

Black Carbon Steel Ka-bars (regular & shorty) (may have some luck with a retailer that may locate for me a SS one)
or the Gerber ASEK LMF II

I tent towards the latter....The Ka-Bars are too long and of narrow blade height, and the ASEK has that blade conditioner (I am bad on sharpening and rely on a friend for the task)

You kind views are requested...Kostas

PS want to know how much the ASEK costs here? <span style="font-weight: bold">145 EUROS!!!!</span>

Re: Help me choose from my ONLY TWO Knife options

Is the Ka-Bar legitimate or is it a reproduction/imitation? If it is a fake, just get the Gerber and be done with it.
Which knife is best for you really depends on what the primary purpose of the knife is going to be. The Ka-Bar is a great knife but it is a combat blade that was designed to also handle general field chores. It is tough and I have used them in the woods for years but it is a close combat weapon first. It is not an ideal hunting/camp chore knife. The LMF II is designed as a tough, utilitarian tool for the kind of use you would see daily in a survival or deep wilderness trip situation. It could be used in a fight of course but with its shorter, wider blade it would be more defensive and less suited to offensive use. I would not want to use the Ka-Bar for any heavy prying or chopping as it is fairly lightweight for a 7 inch blade. The LMF will have the edge on heavy use against inanimate objects, the Ka-Bar will have a definite edge if you had to ward off brigands or take out a sentry or two. I have owned several Gerbers and they are made well but did not hold an edge as long as I would have liked. I have owned and loved Ka-Bars for years and if you will also be carrying a smaller folder or a hatchet than you should be happy with a Ka-Bar. One caveat, the leather washer handle on the original Ka-Bar may need a bit of upkeep if it will spend a lot of time wet. Just my opinion and only related to the LMF II vs. the Original, full-size Ka-Bar made in Olean, New York.

Kostas,
Don't you ride an Aprilia?

earthtrekker, thansk for your input....

I regret not telling about my needs...obvioulsy is not combat but it is outdoor chores....
You have dead on, I suspected the same for thhe Ka-Bar.

So it is the Gerber ASEK

But shoudl I get a partially serated edge on it? I want to be able to split 2inches thick wood by battoning and I suspect teh serations will be an issue wasting enmergy and munching wood....

Thanks!

Orion,

In my experience serrations best serve the lazy knife owner. If you will be keeping a keen edge on your blade than serrations are not necessary. If you are using your knife as a wedge to split wood the serrations will dull and dull serrations are next to useless. The only place serrations shine in my opinion is for cutting wet hemp or manilla rope. Again, a very sharp blade outweighs any benefit you may get from an inch and a half of serration. With a blade length under 5 inches you are sacrificing a huge amount of usable edge when you need to do fine or controlled cutting tasks. If you want it all you can bring a multitool like the Leatherman crunch which features a serrated sheepsfoot utility blade.

Hope this helps.

ET

Orion,
I would go with the partially serrated. Yes, its harder to sharpen, but as you said you're probably not going to be sharpening the knife out in the field. I've found the serrations to come in very handy with lots of chores on my RAT-4, which I also use for hard field use.

hmm points by both..noted!

GOD! I found RAT knives at the same price in Gremany, but tehy would't ship to Greece!

Can I widen the choices abit? How about Ka-bar Becker Campanion (IF i find it) vs the ASEK?

you guys really don't seem to understand his import limitations. I have the lmk. I haven't taken it camping yet but it seems to have a good feel to it and some nice features.

Do yourself a favor and don't get the Gerber. Its a brick of a knife designed for cutting your way out of a plane. Go with a Short ka-bar, I have one I use for a woods knife and love it.