• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help me choose...

awaken

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2006
Brisbane / Australia
I am building/buying a budget PRS rifle. Need some input from you guys.

Option 1.
Howa varmint 6.5 creed dropped into an xlr element
I already have an element chassis and the fit of the stock is great. Howa seems to always offer excellent value for money

Option 2.
ruger precision rifle
This would be a buy and use gun. I won't do anything to it. I know they shoot and I assume they would feel very similar to the xlr being an AR type platform

Cost would be very similar so that's not an issue

Just want to hear your thoughts

Dave

I'm located in Australia, $2049 Australia for the RPR and $699 for the Howa +$1000 for the element. So a bit cheaper for the Howa but once I get an aics mag it's pretty close

Dave

I would go Howa. That action is extremely underatted. Very sturdy, smooth action. The barrels that I have personally check put looked good. Between the two I like the Howa trigger better as well. I think you get a more solid gun for your money with the Howa. Go handle a Ruger American next to a Howa 1500 and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure the Ruger is a fine gun. Just think the Howa are a little Better built.

I agree. If you can handle one of each, I would see which one feels right to you. Sometimes, I'm surprised in a good or even bad way when I feel of a new gun. Also, check to see what aftermarket parts may be available for each. I know you plan on keeping it stock for now, but you never know when you may want to upgrade a trigger, barrel, etc.