• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me Comprehend Silencer Advice

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I want to get a silencer to protect my ears. Mainly, it would be used on an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would be shooting from a bench or platform in my yard. No Chris Kyle stuff.

I know nearly nothing about silencers. It seems very complicated. Apparently, some can be used for multiple calibers, and there are different ways of attaching them. I didn't know they could be used along with brakes, but I found that out yesterday.

I want decent noise suppression and no interference with accuracy. Those are the big priorities. I would like to be able to use the silencer with .308 and other calibers ranging down to .204 if possible.

I emailed a silencer vendor for advice. I wonder if people here could help me understand the reply:

I would go with the Dead Air Sandman S. Then you will need 2 additional Dead Air muzzle breaks. 1 in 5/8x24 and a 2nd in 1/2x28

I have no idea why I need two additional brakes or why they would take different threads. Any clues?

So the dead air can can quickly be moved from one barrel to the next and attaches to the muzzle device. Typically 223 caliber barrels are threaded 1/x28 larger barrels are 308 are typically 5/8x24.

Personally I would do your research that would not be my first can. I would be looking at a tbac Magnus, able co. Theorem, or otter creek personally def do some googling here and read up

Reactions: tlg308
Thanks for the help. I am looking for info wherever it can be found. Hard to think of a better place than this forum.

I have the dead air S and an L. I bought both in .308 and use them on .308 and .223/5.56. I shoot without earpro unless i am on my porch with walls which increases the noise level. 99.9% of my shooting is outdoors in the open. Inside will be much louder.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that it will not affect your accuracy. I do not mind that as I always have the suppressor on. What I found is on some of my guns. It will change point of impact from suppressor on and suppressor off. I always have suppressor on. You will hate to shoot without it after you own it.

I have zero regrets on buying dead air

Reactions: Smokin7s
Thanks. I don't care if it changes the point of impact, since I would expect to use the silencer all the time. I just want to leave the precision alone.

I found a good video from Midwest Gun Works. Might help other people.

I would get a HuxWrx flow before I would get a dead air sandman again. I am issued the sandman (since 2020). I think there's something going on with the company because we have had problems sourcing them this year. We are moving to HuxWrx. It's a better design, so I'm happy with the switch. Feel free to PM me for details.

FWIW I have not had any accuracy issues with my dead air sandman. I use it on a bolt gun and an AR

Last edited:
for the shooting your describing take a look at the diligent defense enticer-L Ti or the thunder beast ultra 9

Reactions: Jjames06
Alright, I’ll be the first to mention PewScience…
His “Pew Rating” gets lots of grief, but his methodology and measurements are done with consistency, so you are getting an apples to apples comparison when you’re looking at the numbers posted in the comparison charts.
I skip some of the technical discussion as it’s frankly beyond me, but the summary paragraphs, helpfully in bold type, at the end give great insight into the pros and cons of flow through vs high pressure va newer printed hybrid designs .

• Haha
Reactions: Krob95
Thanks. I don't care if it changes the point of impact, since I would expect to use the silencer all the time. I just want to leave the precision alone.

You're changing barrel harmonics so you may need to adjust your load.

I have only had one instance where it had a decrease to accuracy, and that was a 308 can on a .19 Calhoun.
A different can in 223 and it came right back.

I have just gone ahead and done load development with all my rifles with cans attached since.

Back in 2018 my son talked me into purchasing a suppressor before the 2020 election.

At that time the only experience I had was with my sons Sico Omega 300. I was impressed with the performance and sound of the Omega and purchase one for myself. The light physical weight and sound suppression is why I bought the Omega. Stamp included, I paid $899. The Sico muzzle devices needed for the quick change options are about $95 a peice and you will need one for each rifle you want to use the can on.

Sico has a program that with my military service saved me $200 on the price of the can. I used that $200 to pay for my stamp.

I use the Omega on 223, 5.56, 6.5 grendel, 6.5 creed, 257 roberts, 270win, 7mm mag, 300blk, 308win and a 300winmag. I got craphouse lucky because the changes in point of impact between suppressed/unsuppressed is only a click or two off and I didn't need to work-up new loads for any of the above chamberings.

I use the quick change Sico flash suppressor and "compensator" so I can easily switch which firearm I feel like shooting suppressed at the moment.

I have heard that using a quick change instead of direct thread can also help direct some of the burning gasses away from the first baffle in the stack. I believe it's called a blast baffle. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny if this is true.

My buddy has a sandman and that bitch is a loudencer. I’d opt for something actually quiet that actually has some company support. Thunderbeast Ultra 9, Dominus, Magnus. The Magnus is the quietest of the three listed and I own both the Magnus and ultra 9. Theyre both excellent but if money is no object, get the Magnus. The ottercreek cans also have pretty good reviews as well and are much cheaper.

The tbac cans can be had in 3-4 different mounting options as well. Direct thread, CB brake, HUB mount, and on the dominus and Magnus, an SR version.

His “Pew Rating” gets lots of grief, but his methodology and measurements are done with consistency, so you are getting an apples to apples comparison when you’re looking at the numbers posted in the comparison charts.
I skip some of the technical discussion as it’s frankly beyond me, but the summary paragraphs, helpfully in bold type, at the end give great insight into the pros and cons of flow through vs high pressure va newer printed hybrid designs .
I forget what that one went over but a bunch of suppressor manufacturers recently got together and did their own agreed upon testing. The tl;dr is if you're looking for max suppression get either a TBAC Magnus or an OCL Hydrogen-L I think.

I'll link both the study and the SH thread where people were discussing it.

Reactions: Asiparks
1) Don’t shoot without ear protection, regardless if you have a a suppressor mounted. The supersonic crack will slowly destroy your hearing.

1.5) Do NOT obsess over decibel reduction. If smart, you will still be wearing ear pro. Thus, you will probably not notice the relatively small differences in different can’s decibel reduction.

The blast reduction that a suppressor provides is what you are after. Ignore the Pew Science rabbit hole and other comparos.

2) Unless you are in some sort of extreme hurry or a total threading klutz, buy direct thread cans and save money. No need to buy muzzle brakes/flash hiders/tapered threads…you just need 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 muzzle threading. Choose the latter for everything with a thick enough barrel to minimize any effect on the bore (more metal left).

The only exception, possibly, for a normal person is if shooting an AR or other semi-auto that might shake the suppressor a little loose. I went with a Surefire RC3 (in jail still) for my AR.

3) Buy a TBAC 30cal for a precision bolt gun. I have a Banish 30 (for 308 to 204) which is nice and is a take-apart can, but I think if starting over a Magnus or Ultra 9 or 7 would be the way to go. One free cleaning a year. Pretty stellar rep. Dead Air has changed OEM’s and has reportedly had lots of weird CS problems.

If you want to go HUB to preserve your future options, there are HUB direct thread adapters. HUB is just an interior thread on the backside of the can (muzzle end) that allows one to choose different adapters.

4) Install direct thread cans this way: thread till can stops moving. Back off 1/2 turn. Then tighten hard. If the can wants to walk off during firing, then after the barrel warms up (like 5 shots) then loosen can and snap it tight again.

Last edited:
I want to get a silencer to protect my ears. Mainly, it would be used on an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would be shooting from a bench or platform in my yard. No Chris Kyle stuff.

I know nearly nothing about silencers. It seems very complicated. Apparently, some can be used for multiple calibers, and there are different ways of attaching them. I didn't know they could be used along with brakes, but I found that out yesterday.

I want decent noise suppression and no interference with accuracy. Those are the big priorities. I would like to be able to use the silencer with .308 and other calibers ranging down to .204 if possible.

I emailed a silencer vendor for advice. I wonder if people here could help me understand the reply:

I have no idea why I need two additional brakes or why they would take different threads. Any clues?

Imo do not buy a sandman s or ask that vendor for advice ever again. It's a heavy hard use can but the company is going through problems atm.

Do you care about length, weight, shooting at night (Ti will spark) or anything else you might want to prioritize?

If length is not important here are a few silencers you can look into. These are in the 8-9"ish range.

TBAC Magnus hub
Diligent Defense Enticer L (stainless or Ti)
Resilient Suppressors Jolene
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L

If you'd rather have a 6-7"ish silencer look into these.

CAT ODB (inconel or Ti)
CGS Helios qd Ti
Diligent Defense Enticer S (Stainless or Ti)
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen S
Liberty precision machine Anthem S

For mounting, depending on the silencer you go with I'm a big fan of taper mounts.

Rearden Atlas mounting system I'm a big fan of.

I'll be trying CAT's 1x16lh taper mounts very soon. Similar mounting system to rearden but with left hand threads.

Take a look at the Thunderbeast big test (link below). I would avoid anything Dead Air at all costs due to the problems that company is having (I've had recent, first hand experience and own a Dead Air can). I have Huxwrx, Dead Air and Diligent Defense.

If it's for a bolt gun, go with a standard baffle can like the Diligent Defense Enticer L. If it's for a gas gun, you'll want a low back pressure can since it won't affect function. If it's for both, get a low back pressure can like Huxwrx or Radical Defense. The new RD stuff is really good as is the Huxwrx Flow 762.

I would get a TBAC ultra 7 or TBAC dominus.

The reason you were told to get 2 different muzzle attachments is because you mentioned mounting the suppressor on a .204. Most .204s don't have the same thread pattern as the larger calibers such as the 6.5s or 308s. If all your rifles are muzzle threaded with the same thread patterns, one muzzle device will suffice. Of course, you'll have to move it from rifle to rifle wherever you're mounting the suppressor.

So you need to figure this out first. Find out what thread patterns your rifles have, then you'll know what type or how many muzzle devices you'll need.

Then just order your TBAC suppressor through silencershop which makes the whole process easy, and order the 2 (or 1) muzzle devices you'll need. Most times, the suppressor itself will come with one. Look into that and select the one with the thread pattern you need if it does indeed come with one.

Have fun and good luck!

Abel Co Theorem L. You’ll never buy another can.
I’d strongly disagree. Not on your choice of suppressor but on the never buy another one. Suppressors are like ferral pigs. One turns into a dozen in no time.

Best advice would be if you know different people with different cans to go shoot with. See which one you think sounds best.

From what you have mentioned, your style of shooting would be just fine with a direct thread. I really like TBAC suppressors. Used em for work and personal. Have a dominus that I really like. And if I was going to grab one suppressor from my safe to use, that’s my go to. Though, I have a nomad30 that is extremely quiet. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one. I have a KGM in jail and a couple sandman Ks as well. Absolutely without hesitation do not get a K sized can for your mentioned application.

The suppressor market has come an extremely long ways in the last 5-10 years. There are a bunch of really good manufacturers now. I personally think TBAC is the top or near the top but others may disagree and like something better. One that I’ll be looking at is a huxwrx. Have some guys I used to work with that just switched from sandmans to huxwrx and they love em.

Just my 0.02. Take it for what it’s worth.

I love my Dead air nomad-L with e-brake. Huge decibel reduction. Decent mid-range price tag too.

I have a .22 silencer on the way, but the high-powered picture is complicated, so I am still returning here to keep up with helpful posts.

Consider looking at the Thunder Beast Ultra 9 or the Diligent Defense Enticer-L Ti for the shooting you are describing.

1) Don’t shoot without ear protection, regardless if you have a a suppressor mounted. The supersonic crack will slowly destroy your hearing.

1.5) Do NOT obsess over decibel reduction. If smart, you will still be wearing ear pro. Thus, you will probably not notice the relatively small differences in different can’s decibel reduction.
true
The blast reduction that a suppressor provides is what you are after. Ignore the Pew Science rabbit hole and other comparos.
right... and how do we measure the pressure of the blast, and the effect of the suppressor on it, both at the muzzle and the ear ?
So that's why some type of comparison between suppressors, done with consistency, has value. Not just dB, but also back-pressure values.
Either the Hide one linked by Ape Factory above, or those done by PewScience, give a far more objective overview of how different suppressors perform, than any one posters opinions on what they thought sounded nice.
2) Unless you are in some sort of extreme hurry or a total threading klutz, buy direct thread cans and save money. No need to buy muzzle brakes/flash hiders/tapered threads…you just need 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 muzzle threading. Choose the latter for everything with a thick enough barrel to minimize any effect on the bore (more metal left).
The only exception, possibly, for a normal person is if shooting an AR or other semi-auto that might shake the suppressor a little loose. I went with a Surefire RC3 (in jail still) for my AR.

3) Buy a TBAC 30cal for a precision bolt gun. I have a Banish 30 (for 308 to 204) which is nice and is a take-apart can, but I think if starting over a Magnus or Ultra 9 or 7 would be the way to go. One free cleaning a year. Pretty stellar rep. Dead Air has changed OEM’s and has reportedly had lots of weird CS problems.

If you want to go HUB to preserve your future options, there are HUB direct thread adapters. HUB is just an interior thread on the backside of the can (muzzle end) that allows one to choose different adapters.

4) Install direct thread cans this way: thread till can stops moving. Back off 1/2 turn. Then tighten hard. If the can wants to walk off during firing, then after the barrel warms up (like 5 shots) then loosen can and snap it tight again.
Or just tighten hard

I prefer direct thread. I lube the threads with heavy white grease. Hand tighten. Check tightness by hand by grabbing over the suppressor cover “every so often…”

I’ve had it loosen a quarter turn once.

Reactions: kthomas
right... and how do we measure the pressure of the blast, and the effect of the suppressor on it, both at the muzzle and the ear ?
Yeah, this is where the nerd in all of us meets practical experience.

Believe me, I research the crap of stuff, way more than anyone I know. People come to me to research stuff or to get advice on what to buy. I’m sure there’s more extreme versions of me, but you get the idea.

What I’m saying is…the obsession over comparison can lead to analysis paralysis and research becomes a hobby in and of itself.

With certain things, I finally pull my head off of the microscope, throw my hands up, and realize it’s probably not worth sweating every single metric. And I go buy something and shoot more.

Instead of suppressor metrics and listening to that Pew Science can’t-get-to-the-point-and-constantly-self-promoting doofus , I find this sort of video infinitely more enlightening, especially from a back pressure point of view:

I guess the one time I’d sweat the small (dB) suppressor stuff etc is if I am going to shoot it without ear pro. But IMHO that practice is dumb if you aren’t forced into it.

Just relax, put the spreadsheets down, and buy the can that attaches the way you like, fits your length (and other) requirements, comes from a company that has been around a while, and that you trust.

And remember, this is coming from that guy in lots of gear research.

Reactions: 30calDeath
Yeah, this is where the nerd in all of us meets practical experience.

Believe me, I research the crap of stuff, way more than anyone I know. People come to me to research stuff or to get advice on what to buy. I’m sure there’s more extreme versions of me, but you get the idea.

What I’m saying is…the obsession over comparison can lead to analysis paralysis and research becomes a hobby in and of itself.

With certain things, I finally pull my head off of the microscope, throw my hands up, and realize it’s probably not worth sweating every single metric. And I go buy something and shoot more.

Instead of suppressor metrics and listening to that Pew Science can’t-get-to-the-point-and-constantly-self-promoting doofus , I find this sort of video infinitely more enlightening, especially from a back pressure point of view:

I guess the one time I’d sweat the small (dB) suppressor stuff etc is if I am going to shoot it without ear pro. But IMHO that practice is dumb if you aren’t forced into it.

Just relax, put the spreadsheets down, and buy the can that attaches the way you like, fits your length (and other) requirements, comes from a company that has been around a while, and that you trust.

And remember, this is coming from that guy in lots of gear research.

I don't fundamentally disagree with anything you've said- but....
There's a level of commitment buying one, beyond other gear...They're not cheap, it generally takes many months to get one and once you have it, you're pretty much stuck with it- no take backs....
So for suppressor purchases, I'm a little more geeky.

PewScience is a lot to take in- I don't listen to the podcast acts or YouTubes- rather just look at the dbs and back pressure of silencer A vs B vs C, knowing they're measured consistently, see how long /heavy/expensive they are.

His stuff while most likely very accurate takes a translator to understand. So I don't even pay attention to his findings. He needs to put it in layman's terms for the normal guy/gal.

His stuff while most likely very accurate takes a translator to understand. So I don't even pay attention to his findings. He needs to put it in layman's terms for the normal guy/gal.
are we at high school, shitting on the smart kids again ?
I'm a layman, the website is clear,- go to the "lab staff opinion" at the end of any review for a quick summation or look at the comparative silencer v silencer ratings...If you're technically minded, all the detail stuff is there - if you can't be arsed to put minimal effort in, or Youtube is peak learning, then throw your money at whatever

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 6.54.28 PM.png
or look at the searchable rankings.....

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 7.07.28 PM.png

If anyone right now can offer up better/ clearer/ more comprehensive reviews, then they should get on with it, I'll be a subscriber- sure many others will be grateful.

His stuff while most likely very accurate takes a translator to understand. So I don't even pay attention to his findings. He needs to put it in layman's terms for the normal guy/gal
I'm a layman, the website is clear,- go to the "lab staff opinion" at the end of any review for a quick summation or look at the comparative silencer v silencer ratings...If you're technically minded, all the detail stuff is there - if you can't be arsed to put minimal effort in, or Youtube is peak learning, then throw your money at whatever

View attachment 8312727 or look at the searchable rankings.....

View attachment 8312735

If anyone right now can offer up better/ clearer/ more comprehensive reviews, then they should get on with it, I'll be a subscriber- sure many others will be grateful.
I must have struck a nerve lol

Reactions: Phil McGrath

View attachment 8312727 or look at the searchable rankings.....

View attachment 8312735

Jay, is that you?

Below is what @kthomas and I think of Mr. Pew Pew. He’s focused on the numbers and I’m irked by the delivery (both written and spoken).
People put way too much stock in PewScience. And arbitrary suppressor ratings and metrics. And way too much focus on dB numbers.

There's so much more to a suppressor than a dB number. I personally think the information PewScience provides is of pretty limited utility.
1704321237463.gif

This here gif sums up how I feel about the writing on © PEW Science® LLC‘s Pew SSS.6 - Sound Signature Reviews™ which are calculated using their SSS.2 - PEW-SOFT™ software methodology which informs their SSS.3 - Hearing Damage Level™ all of which are incorporated into their SSS.7 - Silencer Sound Standard™.

Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick how many days without autism?

If you want data to make a decision I’d look at the TBAC silencer summit results. Complete transparency, 0 pride and just raw data.