• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide: Barreled action or Barrel + Action

Ziloooo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
I'm thinking about assemble a new bolt action rifle recently and did some research on parts.

I searched on PVA, i see their barreled action for Zermatt Origin is 1750 and for TL3 2299. Let's say, if I choose TL3 the action itself is 1300 by Zermatt (might be a bit cheaper from other vendor) and the barrel sold by PVA would be around 600. There'll be like 300 bucks differences.

Some other businesses like preferred barrel blank will install barrel onto the action for free if you buy both from them.

If the custom actions / parts are deemed to have very tight tolerance, what's the point I buy a barreled action over I just buy those parts and put them together with proper torque?

Do you guys usually gets parts from? do you have any recommended business for parts and barreled action?

I'm thinking to build my next bolt action on Zermatt or Defiance....

Typically buying the barreled action already assembled will usually save you time and money.

You failed to factor in the cost of required tools for the assembly process. Barrel Vise/bushings, action wrench, torque wrench, and you should probably also get headspace gauges as a check function. If you are just starting out you probably don't have most of the above items.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
Typically buying the barreled action already assembled will usually save you time and money.

You failed to factor in the cost of required tools for the assembly process. Barrel Vise/bushings, action wrench, torque wrench, and you should probably also get headspace gauges as a check function. If you are just starting out you probably don't have most of the above items.
Exactly what I determined. If you can buy it assembled for a shade more, do that.

Youll need a barrel vice, action wrench, and torque wrench if you dont have them already.
I just ordered an Origin barreled action from Blue Mountain Precision ($75 less then PVA and no tax. No shade toward PVA).
I figure Ill buy the barrel vice and action wrench when the barrel needs replaced next time and just get a prefit.

You could get bugholes to do a barreled action for you with a cut rifled Bartlein, Krieger, or several other options and be in it less than the $1750 for the PVA with a button barrel. You’re basically paying $850 for a button barrel prefit and that doesn’t even include cerakote.

You could also get a Origin and Proof SS prefit from Altus for even less $$ and I’m sure they’d bolt it together for you.

At the price of the TL3 I’d much rather have an impact. Impact can deliver a barreled action to you for about the same price including cerakote.

If you bolt it together yourself you’re going to spend at least $300 on a decent torque wrench, action wrench, and barrel vise if you don’t already have some or all of those things.

Reactions: Ziloooo

I got your point. Thanks for your opinion.

If the barreled action costs serveral hundreds more, I'd rather invest them one time into the tools I can re-use in the future.

Do I miss anything? I was thinking about if those bucks are going for gunsmith 'service', but those custom actions seems no longer need to be 'trued' like factory Rem 700.

Youll need a barrel vice, action wrench, and torque wrench if you dont have them already.
I just ordered an Origin barreled action from Blue Mountain Precision ($75 less then PVA and no tax. No shade toward PVA).
I figure Ill buy the barrel vice and action wrench when the barrel needs replaced next time and just get a prefit.
I checked BMP....seems their barreled action pricing is simply Action (900 for origin) + Barrel (depends on barrel choice), with no surcharge putting them together.

I do have the torque wrench, and a genral vise. But yeah, I'm thinking the same to you :)

I got your point. Thanks for your opinion.

If the barreled action costs serveral hundreds more, I'd rather invest them one time into the tools I can re-use in the future.

Do I miss anything? I was thinking about if those bucks are going for gunsmith 'service', but those custom actions seems no longer need to be 'trued' like factory Rem 700.

The tools are just something most forget to account for initially, but I agree that they are worth buying and doing yourself.

I wouldn't think you'd be missing out on anything by doing it yourself.

Side note: PVA's Aero Solus barreled action price seems like a much better deal than the Zermatt ones

You could get bugholes to do a barreled action for you with a cut rifled Bartlein, Krieger, or several other options and be in it less than the $1750 for the PVA with a button barrel. You’re basically paying $850 for a button barrel prefit and that doesn’t even include cerakote.

You could also get a Origin and Proof SS prefit from Altus for even less $$ and I’m sure they’d bolt it together for you.

At the price of the TL3 I’d much rather have an impact. Impact can deliver a barreled action to you for about the same price including cerakote.

If you bolt it together yourself you’re going to spend at least $300 on a decent torque wrench, action wrench, and barrel vise if you don’t already have some or all of those things.
Just to confirm:
Bugholes = Southern Precision Rifle https://www.bugholes.com/
Altus = Altus Shooting Solution https://www.altusshooting.com/
right?

I was thining about Impact action, seems like a go-to choice for PRS, but hard to find them in-stock. Anyway, thanks for your valuable advices.

I would spend the money on the tools up front. You’re overlooking one of the great things about an action that can take prefits. Two barrels. Hell ten barrels.

Maybe a heavy target barrel and a sporter 338 Fedral or something else for heavy hunting.

22-250 to 358 Winchester. Game on if you’ve got your own tools. Just buy the prefit.

One advantage of buying the barreled action is the caliber/twist engraving on the barrel will be perfectly timed above the stock line vs around the circumference of the barrel.

You bastards and your friggin prefits…I’m tempted to buy an Impact 737R or Zermatt TL3 just so I can join the club

Now w the Aero Solus joining the party prefits seem to be the way of the future.