• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me decide between NF/IOR

EL34

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
AR
First, budget around $1,500 max. Use: 600-1000 yd. shooting, non-competitive.
Choice #1 Nightforce 3.5-15X50, price $1,400, NP-R1 ret., mil/moa, SFP, has illum., no zero stop, but made here. Option to up grade to zero stop turrets later.

Choice #2 IOR 3.5-18X42, price $1,549, Modded MP-8 ret., FFP, mil/mil, no illum., no zero stop, made in Romania. No option to upgrade later.

What I really like about the NF is, it's made here, is upgradeable. What I don't like is non-matching mil/moa, and SFP.
I like that the IOR has a tad more magnification, FFP, mil/mil. Cons are made overseas, no option to upgrade (that I know of anyway).
I'd probably be happy with either one, since both are light years ahead of my leupy/nikon/burris hunting scopes. However, I'm having a hard time choosing one, and my rifle should've had a scope on it a week ago! Or, am I way off, and should be looking at something else entirely? Thanks guys!

Re: Help me decide between NF/IOR

I would make the decision based on reticle/turrets being the same.

you can get mil/mil nightforces, just as you can get MOA/MOA nightforces.

I'm not that familiar with IORs...

my 2 cents...

If you want your turrets to match in your NF NP-R1 reticle get 1/4 MOA turrets.

If you want more magnification get 5.5-22x with NPR1 / .25 MOA turrets.

If you want zero stop, you can get zero stop.

If you want a clear winner, get Nightforce.

hu hu here we go again.....same ole shit again......marchin down the avenue.......6 more years and and I'll be through

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hu hu here we go again.....same ole shit again......marchin down the avenue.......6 more years and and I'll be through </div></div>

Yep

To the OP your budget dictates the IOR or drop the extra cash on the NF. I love my NXS'.

For the NF, I am certain you can get matching reticle and turrets.

Feature for feature, my opinion is the IOR holds more value as it is also FFP.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall which model would have more elevation adjustment as that may also come into play depending on application.

From other reviews, the IOR glass seems to be nicer than that of NF.

As far as durability is concerned, it seems like the Gen 4 IORs are quite robust.

Being so close in price, they are almost substitutes for each other and would be best for the OP to try them both if possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geometro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the NF, I am certain you can get matching reticle and turrets.

Feature for feature, my opinion is the IOR holds more value as it is also FFP.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall which model would have more elevation adjustment as that may also come into play depending on application.

From other reviews, the IOR glass seems to be nicer than that of NF.

As far as durability is concerned, it seems like the Gen 4 IORs are quite robust.

</div></div>

2cnyq87.jpg

Alright, I did not know that the NP-R1 ret., and .25MOA turrets matched up, thanks for that! I am aware that I could get alot more, however, personal economics come in to play, and I simply cannot justify all the options at this time.
NF has 100 MOA elev.
IOR has 75-80 MOA elev.
My shooting will be @1k max., and will be running a 20MOA base.

There is an Illum version of the IOR, it is just not called the "Snipers Hide Edition"

The IOR has better glass(Schott) as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is an Illum version of the IOR, it is just not called the "Snipers Hide Edition"

The IOR has better glass(Schott) as well. </div></div>

Yes, I saw one on Scott's website that has illum., but it is a SFP. If there is one like the SN ed. with illum. I'm not aware of it.

My NF 3.5-15 has a "Made in Japan" stamped on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My NF 3.5-15 has a "Made in Japan" stamped on it. </div></div>

Duh!

Having had one IOR and now having multiple NF, I can say the only thing that the IOR has over the NF is a hair better glass. Other than that, I would choose the NF and never look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having had one IOR and now having multiple NF, I can say the only thing that the IOR has over the NF is a hair better glass. Other than that, I would choose the NF and never look back. </div></div>

I too own both IOR and NF, and I would describe the IOR glass a better than just a hair better.

This is not a knock on the NF, but I really do believe that the IOR has outstanding glass at a level the NF doesn't compete.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMG8185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, budget around $1,500 max. Use: 600-1000 yd. shooting, non-competitive.
Choice #1 Nightforce 3.5-15X50, price $1,400, NP-R1 ret., mil/moa, SFP, has illum., no zero stop, but made here. Option to up grade to zero stop turrets later.

Choice #2 IOR 3.5-18X42, price $1,549, Modded MP-8 ret., FFP, mil/mil, no illum., no zero stop, made in Romania. No option to upgrade later.

What I really like about the NF is, it's made here, is upgradeable. What I don't like is non-matching mil/moa, and SFP.
I like that the IOR has a tad more magnification, FFP, mil/mil. Cons are made overseas, no option to upgrade (that I know of anyway).
I'd probably be happy with either one, since both are light years ahead of my leupy/nikon/burris hunting scopes. However, I'm having a hard time choosing one, and my rifle should've had a scope on it a week ago! Or, am I way off, and should be looking at something else entirely? Thanks guys! </div></div>

If it were my decision I'd save a little longer and get the IOR 3.5-18x50.I own 3 NF's(I just got my new F1 today with H-58 reticle}
grin.gif
and have owned more than that over the years.I can't say anything bad about them.I just prefer FFP nowadays.I have one IOR 6-24x56FFP.It's a incredible value for what you get.Glass is fantastic,10 mils per turn,zero stop,great reticle,illuminated,mil/mil,tracks perfectly and it's been 100% so far on a big 30 cal for about six months now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If it were my decision I'd save a little longer and get the IOR 3.5-18x50.</div></div>

This.

I have the IOR 3.5-18x50 ffp and it RULES.

I also own a NF F1.

I have been down the IOR road with a 2.5-10, two 3-18's, and a 3x CQB. I'm not going there any more. The IOR has great glass, quite a bit better than NF in my opinion. However, they are not worth the trade up in glass relative to all the other things that are wrong with them. The NF is a far better scope in terms of mechanical adjustments, design, and durability. Save a few more fun tickets and get a 3.5-15 50mm Mil/Mil Night Force!

I have SB,NF and IOR, at present am running the IOR(3.5-18x50) on my 338LM glass wise the SB edges the IOR but not by much both SB and IOR glass piss all over the NF dollar for dollar the IOR would be the one to buy IMHO.

NF with hispeed knobs, 3-18X50mm IOR, Razor HD would be my picks. If you buy IOR get it from Libertyoptics.com.

All of these scopes have decent internal adjustment and reticles with plenty of holdover so I don't think you'll need a canted base but it's up to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My NF 3.5-15 has a "Made in Japan" stamped on it. </div></div>

Sorry, I looked at NF's website, and thier contact info had an Idaho addy. Just assumed they made them here, does that mean that most of NF's line is contracted out?

I appreciate all of the opinions offered so far, thank you.

The F1 line is made here in the States or at least assembled here.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMG8185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My NF 3.5-15 has a "Made in Japan" stamped on it. </div></div>

Sorry, I looked at NF's website, and thier contact info had an Idaho addy. Just assumed they made them here, does that mean that most of NF's line is contracted out?

I appreciate all of the opinions offered so far, thank you. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Todds69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The F1 line is made here in the States or at least assembled here.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMG8185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My NF 3.5-15 has a "Made in Japan" stamped on it. </div></div>

I appreciate all of the opinions offered so far, thank you. </div></div> </div></div>

And even many of those parts are Made in Japan.

Nothing wrong with Japanese made scopes. Some of the best in the world are Japanese.

I've been trying to make the same decision. I would like to be able to look through the IOR before I spend the cash.

Has anybody had any experience with IOR customer service?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmada45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody had any experience with IOR customer service? </div></div>

Yes my 3-18x42 was bought used and went tits up on first range trip, I had a brand new in the box one in 8 days. IOR doesn't have any sort of service center here like NF or Leupold so you can't have reticle swaps or anything like that but they do take care of people.

edit: don't make your decision based on purported glass quality, make it based on how much you want what features you want, what reticle you want to stare at for hours, and what $$$$$$$ you want to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmada45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody had any experience with IOR customer service? </div></div>
I would say that MANY folks that buy an IOR have experience with their customer service. While neither NF nor IOR would be my first choice, I would take a NF anyday if those were my two options.

Not having experience with either one I would choose Nightforce. They have proven themselves to be robust and reliable. Time will still tell on the Gen 4 IOR.

I would save the extra money and get either the IOR 3.5-18x50 or the IOR 6-24x56. Once you look through the glass, you won't be satisfied with anything else in that price range.

If you do have to use it, IOR customer service is top notch.

IMHO Liberty Optics is the only vendor to go through, there are other good ones out there, but Scott has a well earned reputation for outstanding customer service.

I took a chance recently on a gen4 SH 3-&18 because it had the features I wanted. We will see on durability but so far so good. It has better glass than my USOs but that is useless without durability. If their gen 4 stuff proves durable I think they are a very good feature to cost scope. Time will tell but so far I really like the scope and reticle. It box tested perfect and is a real good low light scope. I will still have some doubts until I run it a lot more but that's because I am picky and I USE my equipment so I base my opinion on my use.