• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me Decide: "Custom" Tikka CTR or Bighorn Orgin?

Colorado S14

Pushing the Limits of Spontaneous Combustion
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Denver, CO
www.youtube.com
Hi all,
I have $1,000 burning a hole in my Venmo account that I think I want to put towards my first non-hunting bolt action. and would love input from others.

I occasionally shoot a local $600yd match run by @Hoser with my 224 Valkyrie AR15, which has a Rock Creek barrel and is a consistent sub MOA to half MOA rifle with my hand loads. I am not yet a consistent performer/wind reader with this in the match as it is hard to get down to Pueblo every month with family obligations. I have been biding my time on a new rifle build as I eventually want to do a really nice rig with a Terminus/Bartlein/top tier optic. However, we keep doing things like home improvement, investing, travelling and the gun keeps getting put off a bit.

I am at the point where perfection is the enemy of good and want to get something built that I can use to keep improving as a shooter. I will rarely have the opportunity to shoot much past 800-1,000 yards and don't anticipate ever competing much past local or regional matches. I think in the long run a 6mm in the 6BR/X/A family would be a good fit for my needs. If I go the "custom route" do I do that or stick Valkyrie for now given I have all the equipment/supplies and it is $.10-$.15 per round cheaper for me to load? Is the Origin/GM $415 better than the Tikka option, is the Krieger worth the extra $200? Apologies for the dissertation, would love to hear what you all think and if I am missing an all together better option.

Option 1, $1,785:
  • T3X CTR in 6.5CM
  • KRG Bravo
  • Yo Dave Spring
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,200:
  • Keystone Origin Barrel Action with Green Mountain barrel
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,400:
  • Keystone Origin Barrel Action with Krieger barrel
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
I would find a used Tikka Tac A1 you will be money ahead and have a accurate rifle off the get go.I have seen them used for 1350.00 euro optic had 6mm new for 1750.00 but they sell fast when they get them GOOD LUCK
Rick

Reactions: lachoneus
Origin.
Save $ and skip the brake with a 6BR.

Lots of places to get good Origin shouldered prefits.

Benefit or Origin is bolt head swaps and a “new rifle” as a switch barrel over the tikka. Go to a .223 for PD or short range shooting, or mag bolt if thats your thing.
Have Tikkas and like them.
Looking at an Origin or TL3 for this reason though.

I was in the similar position as you and I decided to go with the Origin.

The reason I picked the Origin over the Tikka was flexibility and available options.

Since the Origin uses a Remington 700 pattern, you have a number of choices for triggers and chassis.

The Origin can use both shouldered prefit and Savage small shank barrels. Also, it's simple to switch bolt heads.

Since you already have all the equipment for reloading 224 valkyrie, get the Origin with valkyrie bolt head.

Origin.
Save $ and skip the brake with a 6BR.

Lots of places to get good Origin shouldered prefits.

Benefit or Origin is bolt head swaps and a “new rifle” as a switch barrel over the tikka. Go to a .223 for PD or short range shooting, or mag bolt if thats your thing.
Have Tikkas and like them.
Looking at an Origin or TL3 for this reason though.
Thanks for the reply, the brake is only for use of my Ultra 7, I have the CB version.

Reactions: powdahound76
OP what format is your <600 competition? PRS or similar or something else?

Reactions: Colorado S14
Origin for sure

While 224V sounds appealing cause you have dies. You'll likely want new brass. And a different seating depth anyways so another set of dies is needed

Straight 6BR with a 26-28" barrel would be a good start. 6BRA if you want a little extra spice but for a 600y match I wouldn't worry about the extra speed

Btw. Don't think there is a big step up to a Terminus from an Origin. Its a totally different action. Yeah it costs more. Joel is a good dude and they're phenomenal actions. But ill take an origin all day

You're right to think good glass is good. But it isn't the end all be all either

Super easy decision for you my friend on the action ... Origin, without a doubt. 6mm variant or 224 V ??? I don't know, on that one, but I'd go 6mm.

I absolutely love my origin. I have a TL3 and a Zeus on the way but I ain't EVER getting rid of my origin. The only reason I didn't get another origin is that I wanted to try out the quick change.

Had a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Loved it. Super accurate, smooth and affordable. Sold it and got an Origin, remage barrel, MPA chassis. Very happy with the Origin for all the reasons stated above. Can’t go wrong with either, but I say Origin if you can. Good luck.

I have both an live on the front range. It's been a hot minute since I shot Hosers new 600yd format but you're welcome to borrow the Tikka for a match if you want. The only barrel I have for it that you'd want to shoot is a 20" 22BR but you're welcome to shoot it for a match. You can finger fuck my origin but it's in a hunting rifle setup and you wouldn't want to shoot a match with it.

I personally like my Origin better than just about every other action I own. For whatever reason it's smoother than my TL3's. I can't really explain it. It's a surgical, precise feel compared to the heavy lift and camming "ca-chunk" opening the bolt on my AI. The T3 is a great factory action but running the bolt isn't as enjoyable. It's got the same heavy, short throw lift that makes you question on warm loads if it's pressure, or the bolt lift. I would argue that shouldered prefit barrel options are as prevelant for the T3 as anything. Proof, McGowen, Carbon Six, PVA, etc.

Either would make for a great rifle that a guy should be happy with. The only unhappiness would be "grass is greener" syndrome. If I had to give it a push one way or another I'd say Origin. The way Tikkas are priced right now you're not saving much over the Origin + trigger
I had the same "complaint" with my TL3 compared to my origin, and I called up Big Horn. They wante me to send it to them so I sent the BA. They timed my trigger and replaced something in the fire control group.(no charge) Got it back and its a lot better now. I'm not sure it's quite like the origin is, with how slick that action is, but it's a whole lot closer. Id give Ray a call.

I wish everything else in this sport gear-wise lived up to its rep and defied its price tag like the Origin does, some are as good, none are better.

Mine has seen 950rds in a little over a month since new, and it’s literally never done anything wrong ever, not one misfeed, or any other nonsense at all, nothing. It came perfectly timed to a TT Diamond right out of the box, zero cock on close, bolt lift and smoothness is as good or better than anything else I’ve felt (which is pretty much everything)... all the bells and whistles and it just runs, no drama.

Now the question is, spend the extra $200 for the Kriega over the Green Mountain?

Neither haha... I've gotten 3 barrels so far from Anthony at CRBW and they've all been as good as my Proof's and Bartlien's (plus, no one beats his turnaround times, bet he'll have it out in days not weeks): https://www.crownridgebarrelworks.com/shop/barrels/big-horn-origin-6-5-creedmoor-krieger-4-taper-24/

That should easily save you enough to turn that TT Primary into a Diamond and then some...

I have an Origin with a PVA 224 barrrel. Its super accurate but I wouldn't do the 224 again. Go 6BR and don't look back.

FYI - Some guy is selling TT diamonds for $175 in the buy-sell-trade forum. I'd grab one of those.

And I'd go with a proof shouldered pre-fit from front range precision, the price when you add to cart is sub $500. If you are trying to save some cash, I don't think you'll find a better deal than that TT diamond for $175 and proof barrel for under $500. I'd go with a 6 dasher and buy either peterson or alpha brass, both make 6 dasher brass so you don't need to fireform.

EDIT: Price at front range precision is 458 once added to cart.

+1 If you are going to go all in, I would get the 6BR and just jump in with both feet...

Another vote for the Origin here...Tikka is great factory rifle, but the origin will be easier to grow with as a shooter...plus more people make prefits for them, which eases caliber transitions and barrel buying. I have had decent luck with the proof prefits as another member mentioned, but they do tend to be on slower end of the velocity spectrum in my experience. I would spring for a cut rifled, shouldered prefit...bartlein, krieger, proof, etc

I would try to find a AI chassis ,Rem 700 action before 1989 for long action,Huber concept trigger .Meopta scope.Schneider barrel blank for 350 , and a good gunsmith to put it together.You can probably cut some corners on the chassis and don't go the AI route . This will make your rifle as close as it gets to custom and to your needs .Will last alifetime.All my deployment kits are the same setup -never let me down

Origin/kreiger and yes its worth the other $200
Skip the BRX it’s a pain in the ass go straight BR or better yet the BRA.

Hi all,
I have $1,000 burning a hole in my Venmo account that I think I want to put towards my first non-hunting bolt action. and would love input from others.

I occasionally shoot a local $600yd match run by @Hoser with my 224 Valkyrie AR15, which has a Rock Creek barrel and is a consistent sub MOA to half MOA rifle with my hand loads. I am not yet a consistent performer/wind reader with this in the match as it is hard to get down to Pueblo every month with family obligations. I have been biding my time on a new rifle build as I eventually want to do a really nice rig with a Terminus/Bartlein/top tier optic. However, we keep doing things like home improvement, investing, travelling and the gun keeps getting put off a bit.

I am at the point where perfection is the enemy of good and want to get something built that I can use to keep improving as a shooter. I will rarely have the opportunity to shoot much past 800-1,000 yards and don't anticipate ever competing much past local or regional matches. I think in the long run a 6mm in the 6BR/X/A family would be a good fit for my needs. If I go the "custom route" do I do that or stick Valkyrie for now given I have all the equipment/supplies and it is $.10-$.15 per round cheaper for me to load? Is the Origin/GM $415 better than the Tikka option, is the Krieger worth the extra $200? Apologies for the dissertation, would love to hear what you all think and if I am missing an all together better option.

Option 1, $1,785:
  • T3X CTR in 6.5CM
  • KRG Bravo
  • Yo Dave Spring
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,200:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,400:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Hi all,

Option 1, $1,785:
  • T3X CTR in 6.5CM
  • KRG Bravo
  • Yo Dave Spring
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,200:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,400:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Hi all,

Option 1, $1,785:
  • T3X CTR in 6.5CM
  • KRG Bravo
  • Yo Dave Spring
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,200:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,400:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake

Last edited:
Hi all,

Option 1, $1,785:
  • T3X CTR in 6.5CM
  • KRG Bravo
  • Yo Dave Spring
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,200:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Option 2, $2,400:
  • KRG Bravo
  • Trigger Tech Primary
  • MPA Scope Mount
  • TBAC Brake
Go with Bergara Premier Pro! Ive got 2 custom rifles. that are about.$8,000 ea. before optics and it will shot as good as those any day all day.Its a 6.5 PRC.. All I added was an EC Tuner Brake to reduce recoil some...thats my 2 cents anyway.Good Luck on you choice.

definitely another vote for the origin... I got mine a month ago and holy heck it's every bit as good as everyone makes it sound. Hard to beat it for the price, a tt, and pva or proof prefit. Straight Jacket Armory makes really good prefits for them too I've heard

@OkayshooterAJC - look around.
its at the bottom of the forums.
you have to pay to sell here now, to cut down on dirtbags and scammers.

It also gets you online training access, which is useful.

now, back to the easy choice here and getting an Origin!!

FYI, screw the guy who recommended a Rem 700 over it. Besides it costs more $ and you cant just order prefits from any number of vendors.
i have them and like them fine. But they arent an Origin.

I have a TL3, if I were doing it over, I'd get an origin (or an AI lol). The origin didn't exist when I bought my TL3.

Defiance Tenacity action, Krieger barrel in any 6mm caliber you like. Call Dan Dowling in Palisade to put it together. 970 210-3042.
Dan developed the 6mm Dasher. 6mm Norma dasher with the longer neck. MDT mags to feed it.

Pulled the trigger!

Drove up to Mile High and snagged an Origin, a Bravo, a 2 Stage TT Special, 200 rounds worth of Alpha 6 Dasher brass, and a TBAC CB brake.

I ordered the Proof Prefit from Front Range Precision as mentioned by @Thorbeast.

Excited to get this all together.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the tikka but I went with an origin, trigger tech diamond, and proof prefits (also from Front Range Precision!) and I couldn't be happier with my setup. I got it so I could swap barrels easily and that is certainly true with the origin: lots of good shouldered prefit options and you can use a nut if you prefer. I don't think I'll ever need a "better" action, I consider my action concerns a solved problem.

Pulled the trigger!

Drove up to Mile High and snagged an Origin, a Bravo, a 2 Stage TT Special, 200 rounds worth of Norma 6 Dasher brass, and a TBAC CB brake.

I ordered the Proof Prefit from Front Range Precision as mentioned by @Thorbeast.

I ordered my origin, trigger and proof prefit from front range precision! Great service and fast shipping!

Pulled the trigger!

Drove up to Mile High and snagged an Origin, a Bravo, a 2 Stage TT Special, 200 rounds worth of Norma 6 Dasher brass, and a TBAC CB brake.

Right on! Let us know how it shoots and post pics. What made you go dasher over the br you were thinking?

I like the features of the tl3 and I’m happy with mine but the origin sure is nice foe the money

Right on! Let us know how it shoots and post pics. What made you go dasher over the br you were thinking?

I like the features of the tl3 and I’m happy with mine but the origin sure is nice foe the money
The $458 price for a shouldered prefit is pretty tough to beat from Front Range for a cut rifled barrel. I did not need the speed or barrel life of the 6 Creedmoor which was my other option with Proof in 6mm, so I went dasher.

Off to a good start, going to run the Athlon until I pull the trigger on a better optic. Barrel comes Wednesday, will probably have it cerakoted to match the action.

IMG_0421.jpg

Well, we did it everyone! Thanks for all the input and opinions. Narrowed it down for me. My barrel vice showed up yesterday so I was able to finally torque everything down and Duracoat the barrel.

Waiting on a neck size bushing to get my first batch of ammo put together and see how it shoots at the range.

She’s a looker.
81AC5A8C-12DF-4F99-9BD5-535D58B61559.jpeg

72103694-848E-4B33-8DC1-FE3016E875BB.jpeg

Is the chamber on that Proof prefit compatible with Norma Dasher brass? I'm pretty sure there's two different chambers. Norma Dasher and Lapua Dasher. And prefits are pretty much universally Lapua Dasher.

If this turns out to be the case you can simply trim the necks down and essentially turn your brass into a Lapua-Dasher compatible
Proof said Lapua and Alpha brass.

Have a can cover, just not on for the picture

Well, we did it everyone! Thanks for all the input and opinions. Narrowed it down for me. My barrel vice showed up yesterday so I was able to finally torque everything down and Duracoat the barrel.

Waiting on a neck size bushing to get my first batch of ammo put together and see how it shoots at the range.

She’s a looker.
View attachment 7709703
View attachment 7709704
Well looks great! Hope your happy with it!! Did you paint the stock yourself? If so what colours?