• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide my 6.5

FequalsMA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Schenectady, N.Y.
I just recieved my 8.5 twist krieger barrel today. I am going to use a Rem 700 clone and AICS mags. Mostly I'll be punching paper and maybe getting into Tactical matches. I'm thinking a 22 inch barrel.

I am strongly concidering the 6.5x47 Lapua for the the following reasons;

Good Brass
Small primer
Short case to allow bullets seated correctly in mag length.

But does the 47 give up anything to the 260?
Will the 47 run the 139gr bullets at comparable velocity?

Trying not to regret a decision.

Re: Help me decide my 6.5

if you want to run the 139's get the 260 they don't mind jumping and you don't have to worry about high pressures to get the same velocities you would have out of the 47, plus the 260 feeds like a champ. if you want good brass for the 260 just buy lapua 243 and run it through the sizing die once and your done.

Performance wise, there is little difference between, the 6.5x47mm, 260 Rem, or 6.5 Creedmoor. What one can do, can also be done with one of the others.

However, when you consider brass cost:

6.5x47 Lapua Brass per 1000 = $840.

Lapua 243 brass (to be formed into 260 Rem) per 1000 = $660.

6.5 Creedmoor Hornady Brass per 1000 = $592.

WW 7mm-08 Brass (to be formed into .260 Rem) per 1000 = $399.

I'm not making a recommendation, one way or the other, as the performance is excellent with all these rounds/brass.

Bob

I wrestled with the same decision between 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 and went with the 260.

Larger case capacity, ability to shoot all the 6.5's up to the 142's (well), same shoulder angle as 308 (important for feeding) and factory brass possibilities from more than one company, with the ability to neck up/down from many other choices.

--Fargo007

Matt I don't think many run the heavies (139's) in the 6.5x47, I'd stick with the 130VLD's or the 123 Scenars and you will be quite happy.

I run 139's and 123's in my Valkyrie. They both shoot bugholes at 100 yards but the 139's Im seeing better accuracy at distance with a 24" barrel.

Has anyone tried that new Lapua 308 Palma brass? Its supposed to handle more pressure and uses small primers instead. Might give the 260 the advantage if that stuff work as good as they clam, just neck iti down...

the reason folks do a 6.5 is for the higher BC boolits....which come into their own way down range....in the wind......

get the cheapest brass, prep it well, and shoot the shit out of it, till the necks hole and the lands shrink.....

Go 24" on the barrel, don't starve the high BC bullets of their speed way downrange....and I went 260.

Had a x47 based gun, the small primers gave me issues with my "tactical" Badger action and its large firing pin.

Cheap brass has it's merits, shoot more, don't cry when you lose them, etc etc. For tactical stuff good brass and hours of prep really only show past 500 yards, so think about shooting more than neck turning. The right shooter with good ammo will beat the right reloader with great ammo most every time. It's the indian....not the arrow.

One time I had a guy who ran dirt cars tell me that there is no replacement for displacement,the bigger the cubes the more power you can have.Sure you can do the same in a 6 cylinder but at higher RPM and a shorter engine life. So I went with a 260.

well it looks like alot of you guys favor the 260. I mainly handload for my single shot target rifles so my next question is this. Is it possible to load a 139 scenar in a 260 case so the bottom of the bullet seats only to the top of the shoulder and still have it fit in the mag? I don't like taking up presious boiler room and grabbing the bullet with the donut that forms at the neck shoulder junction.

Let's see: I'm use 140 grain Berger LRBT because I don't know the dimensions of the 139 Gr Lapua.

In the calculation below, I am subtracting the length of the boat-tail, as that part of the bullet has no affect on the donut.

Berger 140 gr LRBT length 1.412"
Less: BT Length 0.200"
Leaving : 1.212" of bullet
260 Neck length: 0.2595"
Leaving: .9525" of bullet sticking out of the case

260 case length: 2.0350 + 0.9525= 2.9875" COAL

AW 10rd Mag 2.980" OAL
AICS Mags 5 or 10 RD 2.880" OAL
AE Mk1 5rd Mag 2.980" OAL

Not sure what the ID is of an AICS mag with the plate removed.

MORTA Mags:

Type 1 2.850" OAL
Type 2 2.960" OAL

Seekins Precision Proprietary

.308 2.940" OAL
WSM 3.14" OAL

Wyatt Extended Mag Box: 2.990" OAL

All that all means is you can get close. The 139 gr Lapua may well be shorter.

Bob

I went 260 and never looked back. Brass isnt "monopolized" meaning you can make 260 brass outta a lot different brass. Not so much for the x47 or Creedmoor. 260 will push the 140 class bullets at a higher velocity and brass is fairly cheap. Also you may run into piercing primer problems with the Small Rifle Primer in the x47 and the 308 palma brass....If i could do it all over again id still go with a 260. But keep the barrel @ least 24" to get them up to speed were they can shine way down range.

You'll be about 2.930" for OAL with a 139 Scenar.

AICS mags with front plate removed or Morta type 2 mags will allow you to run from magazine.

Feed ramp will need to be notched on your Rem 700 SA to feed the longer OAL from magazine.

I'd build a 260RP. When my barrel goes away, I'll build another.

Brass is cheap or expensive depending on your taste. I'm running some Nosler and 243 Lapua in mine right now but have the RP as well. The RP is OK but you'll have to prep it to get the most out of it. I hear good things about the WW 7-08 brass necked down but never tried any.

For 130/140 VLD's jammed in the lands run a shorter throat if you want to mag feed from an AI magazine, around .050". Any longer and you'll have modify the magazine.

For 139's run a free bore of .080" to .100" for mag feeding in an AI magazine. I run .100"FB in mine but will change to .080" in the future. I'm running the 139's in mine now as my throat has moved and I can no longer jam the 130's and mag feed, 800+ rounds down range.....it was bound to happen.

For the factory ammo shooter, go 6.5CM and don’t look back.

I run with a straight 260. I am currently using RP brass with great results. There is a decent amount of prep that I do to them though. Norma now offers 260 brass which I plan on switching to when my current batch of RP brass needs replacing. RP is now right around .50 a case which is getting a little pricey considering the amount of prep and sorting that is involved. Hence the reason for me to switch to Norma.

I've had a 6.5 Creedmoor for quite a while now and I love the cartridge. Does everything from varmints to elk for me.

Wroscoe don't go throwing that .100 reamer away. I am loving my 260. Slingin' the 140 vlds. Gun is a hammer

I will be up for another barrel in about a year to 18months.

I recently had a 6.5x47 built for me. It was a toss-up between that caliber and the .260 but I knew I wanted to go with either a 20" or 22" barrel. The .260 would have just ended up having more unburnt powder making a fireball so I went with the 6.5x47 instead.

If on the other hand you don't mind stepping up to a 24-26" barrel then the .260 may be your better bet.

*Roscoe- I promise to hit the range with the rifle soon, just been super busy and need to load bullets. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*Roscoe- I promise to hit the range with the rifle soon, just been super busy and need to load bullets. Thanks again. </div></div>

Dude, we all know you've been laying around in your boxers watching cartoons with the old lady
wink.gif

Stay safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wroscoe don't go throwing that .100 reamer away. </div></div>

I have two. I'd never ditch the .100" completly......coupled with the neck deminsions, it's built several hammers.

Glad it's working out for you.

Ok I'll stir the pot with this one..I went with the 6.5 Grendel on my new rig..Going to strickly be a hunting gun..
cool.gif

I remember somebody saying "pick a caliber that you can get good brass for and build a gun around it" or something like that.

It made sense then and still does. I just got a 6.5x47 barrel for my rifle and so far I am really liking it.

When comparing the cost of brass, you should consider the number of times the brass can be reloaded. I haven't reloaded the 47 brass enough to know yet, but I have loaded some 308 Lapua brass 10 times and still going. It's pretty damn cheap when you think about it like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember somebody saying "pick a caliber that you can get good brass for and build a gun around it" or something like that.

It made sense then and still does. I just got a 6.5x47 barrel for my rifle and so far I am really liking it.

When comparing the cost of brass, you should consider the number of times the brass can be reloaded. I haven't reloaded the 47 brass enough to know yet, but I have loaded some 308 Lapua brass 10 times and still going. It's pretty damn cheap when you think about it like that. </div></div>

I've got well over 12 loads on a few boxes of my 6.5x47 brass and they are still going strong. I also anneal every 4-5 runs.

Just checked and two of the boxes are at 14x, so not well over but I hope to get there!!

I have the x47 and the .260. For a tactical gun I would go with the .260 with win 7-08 brass. Mine shoots great. I like the 142 SMK with H4831SC. It was reamed with terry cross's reamer that is perfect in that I can kiss the rifling and still feed perfect in the AI mag. Roscoe's reamer works well too I have heard from others. You cant go wrong with either caliber BUT, i would favor the .260 for your application. I dont see any reason not to worry with it not hanging with the others.

Roscoe cashed my check yesterday for my new 260. That's all of the experience I have with any of them so far!
wink.gif

I've got a 260 ordered and am running a 260 barrel on an AI. I love the cartridge. I did just order a 6.5 Creedmoor from Stacey with AI yesterday though.

I have a 26", 8 twist barrel chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua in my DTA SRS. I am getting 2800 fps with the 139 scenar with no signs of pressure. The weight of my rifle with the low recoil of 6.5 Lapua makes calling my own shots very easy. On the other hand I have never been around a .260rem or creedmore. In my opinion the rem, lapua, and the creedmore are almost too close to compare. So just ask yourself would I rather use small or large primers, do I want to be limited with only one source of brass by using the x47, do I want resize .243 or .308 lapua brass to 6.5mm or use the cheaper .260 brass, do I want to be limited to only using hornady brass for the creedmore. Also from what I have read here on the forums about short barreled 6.5's, the Lapua yields better results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The right shooter with good ammo will beat the right reloader with great ammo most every time. It's the indian....not the arrow. </div></div>

That same info was in my Fortune Cookie last week!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just recieved my 8.5 twist krieger barrel today. I am going to use a Rem 700 clone and AICS mags. Mostly I'll be punching paper and maybe getting into Tactical matches. I'm thinking a 22 inch barrel.

Good Brass
Small primer

Trying not to regret a decision. </div></div>

Some FYI...

A friend runs 6.5x47L at 2675 FPS with 140gr JLK's in a 21.5"
barrel.It's a lower barrel node.It does suprisingly well in the wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the reason folks do a 6.5 is for the higher BC boolits....which come into their own way down range....in the wind......

get the cheapest brass, prep it well, and shoot the shit out of it, till the necks hole and the lands shrink..... </div></div>

+1; go .260.

I chambered my precision rifle is 6.5 Creedmoor and have never looked back.

How about bbl life in all 3 cals?
Not important to the hunter but nice to know if rifle is used for target shooting?

Coach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tiger260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe cashed my check yesterday for my new 260. That's all of the experience I have with any of them so far!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Still waiting on your bolt from you know who. Hopefully it'll be here this week.

depends on your end goal

260 IMHO not even consideration

6.5CM or 6.5x47

My pick for now x47
20" pig gun 123 skinny @2900fps
31" match rig being built 140 berger 2950fps+

very efficient round

But my other Fav 6.5GAP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just recieved my 8.5 twist krieger barrel today. I am going to use a Rem 700 clone and AICS mags. Mostly I'll be punching paper and maybe getting into Tactical matches. I'm thinking a 22 inch barrel.

Good Brass
Small primer

Trying not to regret a decision. </div></div>

Some FYI...

A friend runs 6.5x47L at 2675 FPS with 140gr JLK's in a 21.5"
barrel.It's a lower barrel node.It does suprisingly well in the wind. </div></div>

Tested out to what distances?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tiger260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe cashed my check yesterday for my new 260. That's all of the experience I have with any of them so far!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Still waiting on your bolt from you know who. Hopefully it'll be here this week. </div></div>

Hmmm...sounds like someone might be having a bolt fluted?
wink.gif

Negative mavrick. Although I did have one on my last gun. Sweet looking mod, just decided to go with something different this time. I'm sure William will drop a few pics on here when its done. It's outta his hands right now, but I've got 50 loaded rounds staring at me every time I walk in my shop screaming "Shoot me, Shoot me"!!!