• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me decide on scope rings / mount

holdem

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have a Sig SSG 3000 rifle. I ordered a NF 8-32x56 benchrest scope. Thanks to info on this site, I was able to make a good decision on the scope. And I have been able to make an informed decision about ring / mount height. I have figured out that I need rings or a mount with a centerline at .95"-1.00" to allow the front of the scope to clear the barrel.

With my rifle (0 MOA base) and that scope, I can zero at 100 yards, and push out to 800 yards. I have never shot that far, and my chances to go to 1000 yards will be limited, but I would like to have the option.

I am looking at two different rings / mounts.

First, based on feedback here, the Seekins high rings at .97". The price is nice at $129 and everyone on this site seems to have good experience with them.

Second is the NightForce unimount. It has 20 MOA built into the mount. I could then zero at 100 yards and push to 1000 yards. But the centerline is 1.125", or an 1/8" inch higher than I actually need. It is also $250.

This rifles main purpose will be F-Class shooting, mostly at 300 meters. No hunting at all.

Do I go as low as possible with the Seekins? Or do I get the NF and give up a small height increase to get the extra flexibility?

Without having both and mounting them, I can't tell if .125" will make a difference or not, and that is where I need the experience of the Hide.

Re: Help me decide on scope rings / mount

I really like my Seekins rings on my FN. Light weight and streamlined.

+1 for seekins real happy with them on my 300wm.
Went with tps on a scope I move around from gun to gun because of the single steel clamp nut.I have had good luck with those also.

May also want to take a look at the Leupold Mark 4 rings. they have the 15 MOA built in and the optical center of the 30mm highs is 1.06''. Only positive feedback on the Mark 4 mounts.

Trevor B

First I think you need to decide if you need extra MOA's built into your base. The distance you zero your gun at doesn't matter when it come to shooting out to 1000 yards. The scope you are getting has 50 MOA from top to bottom. Depending on your load, and where the scope cross hairs end up, that may be enough. I was in a similar boat, and I went with the 20 MOA base just to be sure.