• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide what to build

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I have the urge to build a new custom rifle but I don't know what direction to go. I currently have my 6 Dasher match rifle in a Manners TCS, and I have a Carbon/steel Switch barrel 6.5 Creed in a Manners T5A that I use for some practice with the steel barrel, and as a hunting rifle with the carbon barrel.

I'm currently sitting on a 50% off MDT chassis certificate that I really don't know what to do with. I'd love to get a chassis and put a BA in it to actually get use out of it.

My current ideas are:

1. Vudoo or Rimx since I don't have a bolt action rimfire
2. 223 or 223AI trainer
3. Hotrod 22 or 6 cal for coyote hunting

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I don't really have the urge or need for a big boomer so I've avoiding those type of builds.

HNT26 to replace the T5A

223 barrel and boltface for whatever action your 6Dasher is

and a vudoo/rimx to swap into the TCS

Reactions: CShooter92
As someone who gets much more enjoyment from taking my 300 PRC out to 2k+ than I do from shooting shorter ranges, I have to ask: why not something that can reach out a little more?

As someone who gets much more enjoyment from taking my 300 PRC out to 2k+ than I do from shooting shorter ranges, I have to ask: why not something that can reach out a little more?
The range I shoot at regularly only has targets to 1000. Setting up anything further would be a major hassle since I'd have to find land to do that.

I have had a ton of fun running a 22-250 ackley imp with a fast twist barrel. I run the 88elds at 3400 with rl26 and it is a laser. It was incredibly easy to tune a load. Something unique and lapua 22-250 brass or pretty easy to find.

I had a 700 in a MCS T5A and literally and figuratively, best stock on the planet and the Manners people are really good people. One of the reasons I bought a Tikka T3X UPR late last year was because I can't drop $1,500 on a new stock for a rifle like I did in my youth, I wanted an out-of-the-box all-encompassing solution - BUT IF I ever have money to blow again, Manners all the way and twice on Sunday. Just wanted to throw that out there.

223 trainer. Doubles as a Coyote gun. 26" Bartlein MODB carbon fiber barrel. You should be able to get 2900 + with 75gr bullets. Add weights and shoot TAC class or lighten it up for coyote hunting. Suppress it either way.

If you go rimfire the forend will likely be too long for the barrel and within 4 months you'll realize you need to spend $2000 on rimfire ammo.
Unfortunately I can't run a supressor in Canada... stupid liberal govt.

I hear you on the rimfire ammo side of things. In theory it's cheaper, but I'll shoot more volume and the high end stuff isn't any cheaper than reloaded centerfire. Plus I really don't have any interest in rimfire matches.