• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me decide which Nightforce scope I want.

fatguy7814

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
North AL
I’m finally gonna pull the trigger on my first NF optics for my 18” LaRue UU kit in .308. I want to preface by saying that I know nothing about long range shooting but based on my limited knowledge and research I want a FFP scope with the MOAR reticle.

Here’s my options right now….

1) NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP or
+$150
2) NX8 4-32x50 FFP or
+$400
3) ATACR 5-25x56 SFP

I know the ATACR is a beast and if it were FFP instead of SFP I think it would be a no brainer and also I’ve read some bad reviews of the NX8 4-32 being kinda useless on the low end of the magnification and hard to focus on the high end.

I’m ready to buy one of them but can’t choose between 1,2, or 3.

I recently bought the NX8 2.5-20X. Have had it out once and really like it. Not too heavy. Glass is very good and it is a rugged, well made scope. I have mine on a precision AR15. So far I have only shot it out to 100 but I have access to a 600 yard range, so I will definitely do some long range shooting. However, given the inherent limitations of a .223/5.56 bullet, I still anticipate 95% of my shooting will be between 100 and 4-500 yards. For those distances, shooting steel I think 20x is all the magnification I really need.

Just before I bought the scope I either started or was part of a thread discussing this scope on SH. There were a number of posters who criticized the scope. If I recall correctly the two main complaints were that it has a very tight eye box and the parallax adjustment. I chose to ignore these complaints because I was able to pick up the scope and a mount for a very good price and neither criticisms worried me all that much.

Now that I have the scope I can tell you that I didn't experience any problems with the eye box. However, the criticisms of the parallax are valid. With some scopes you can set the parallax at 200 and use at a wide variety of distances. With the NX8 you need to constantly readjust the parallax for different distances. I really don't plan on using the scope in a situation where I'm going to be engaging targets at multiple distances where I'm under tight time constraints. I can take an extra 10-15 seconds to adjust the parallax for different distances. But I can understand where this might be a deal breaker for other shooters.

As to the other two scopes, I'd say it really depends on your budget, the distances you plan to shoot and how much you care about the weight. The NX8 4-32 seems to be a very popular scope, and if you plan to shoot longer distances or want more magnification this would probably be a better choice. Also, you might take a look at the for sale section of this website, since I think there are several people looking to sell this scope and you can save some money if you're willing to buy used.

I have zero experience with the ATACR, but a lot of people really love them and I think the glass is considered a step up. But they are heavier and more $.

The ATACR in 16x is an excellent option.

But as for the NX8, it's not a great value at its price point. Especially when you consider 3.3-18x XTRIIIs, which is a nicer optic, is seeing prices around $1000.

Reactions: 346ci
I’d vote a 4-16 ATACR F1 as well. I guess it depends what you need for magnification

Just wondering why you say #3 ATACR in 5-25 would be a no brainer if it was FFP? That model comes in FFP as well

Reactions: Makinchips208
I’d vote a 4-16 ATACR F1 as well. I guess it depends what you need for magnification

Just wondering why you say #3 ATACR in 5-25 would be a no brainer if it was FFP? That model comes in FFP as well
The FFP is sold out on the site where im going to be buying from…. So is the ATACR 4-16 unfortunately.

The ATACR in 16x is an excellent option.

But as for the NX8, it's not a great value at its price point. Especially when you consider 3.3-18x XTRIIIs, which is a nicer optic, is seeing prices around $1000.
Not to derail thread but where are these 1000.00? Ill probably have to try one for that, was waiting on the illuminated models but at that price be hard to pass up.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Not to derail thread but where are these 1000.00? Ill probably have to try one for that, was waiting on the illuminated models but at that price be hard to pass up.
@gr8fuldoug Camera Land

Hell of a deal. Unless you had to have illumination, I'd take the XTR3 over a NX8 any day for that price.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Out of the Nightforce reticles which one are your favorites?
None of them. Reticles are my biggest gripe with Nightforce.

After all these years, Nightforce still hasn't come up with a simple Christmas tree style reticle. You can either have a fancy crosshair or the way too complicated Horus reticles (that they also upcharge about $800 for and barely come with illumination).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Islander
If those are your only choices... I'd try the 4-32. I have no experience with any of those scopes. Sure seems to be a lot of recommendations for the 4-16x...

If those are your only choices... I'd try the 4-32. I have no experience with any of those scopes. Sure seems to be a lot of recommendations for the 4-16x...
The 4-16 is the best scope they make imo. I dont know why NF wont put the elevation knob on other models. Locking, low profile, zero stop, 12 mil, with perfect click spacing. Beautiful image, and very easy to get behind.

For a 308 AR, no brainer.

Reactions: hafejd30
The 5-25x will absolutely overwhelm that rifle. If you want an ATACR get the 4-16x42mm. Either of the NX8 you listed would be fine but I prefer the 4-32x.