• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me figure out exactly what I have. Sig 551A1

Sakoman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2004
North Mississippi
I've got a rifle and I don't know exactly what it is. It says it's a Sig 551A1, but I've read that this rifle won't take AR mags......mine will. The mag release looks different than what I've seen on Sig's website. The forearm has built in accessory rails and it has a multi-position stock.
I'm posting from my phone, but will post some pics when I get to a computer

Thanks for the help

Re: Help me figure out exactly what I have. Sig 551A1

if it has a rail, collapsible stock and takes AR mags.... it sounds like a 516

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it has a rail, collapsible stock and takes AR mags.... it sounds like a 516 </div></div>

no one would confuse those two....

Just got to the computer

Here's a few pics

sig4.jpg

sig3.jpg

sig1.jpg

sig2.jpg

Well, there it is...........it's a 556 JEEEZZZ

So, now.....what's it worth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sakoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, there it is...........it's a 556 JEEEZZZ

So, now.....what's it worth? </div></div>

From what I've seen, around $1000, give or take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eXstasy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sakoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, there it is...........it's a 556 JEEEZZZ

So, now.....what's it worth? </div></div>

From what I've seen, around $1000, give or take. </div></div>

+1, thats what I say too.

Yes 556 if you want to convert to a551a1 sigis selling complete 551 style lower with Swiss stock and Swiss mags 369.00 just ordered one, that will be as close to a 550 swat I will get. 1000 for sig 556 is about average price

Thanks for the input guys. Look for it soon in the "for sale" forum. I'm looking to get into a 260 bolt gun...... Or a .308 that can be later converted to .260

That 556 looks like one of the earlier models. The fin style handguard is no longer used. They also use a different type of collapsable folding stock now. I don't think the value is any different though. About $1000

Hey Sakoman,
Everybody agree's that's a 556. It looks like "classic" SWAT model. 16" barrel and classic forearm with added rails.
GunBroker has it for $1,242 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=288123241)

Have you shot yours?
How well does it shoot?
Any problems?

I have a lot of experience with the original (Swiss) 550's, and for that reason I decided to buy a 551-A1 from CDNN.
This rifle is TOTALLY reliable. I've never seen any rifles of this 55x family having malfunctions. And mine is no exception to this rule. Whatever you feed him he will function.

However, I'm really pissed with sights (or rail) of my rifle.
My mechanical zero is totally off and I'll try for the last time this weekend, trying to figure it out what's happening.

I think that my rifle has either an iron sights problem (BTW those feel really cheap), since my rear diopter sits loose and even woobles a little; or the STANAG 2324 rail (picatinny) is out of specs and out of axle with the barrel/gas port.

No, I haven't tried to shoot with optics, mostly because I want to install a taller QD base for my optics, keep usage of the iron sights and use cheek piece riser from SIG that I also bought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

However, I'm really pissed with sights (or rail) of my rifle.
My mechanical zero is totally off and I'll try for the last time this weekend, trying to figure it out what's happening.

I think that my rifle has either an iron sights problem (BTW those feel really cheap), since my rear diopter sits loose and even woobles a little; or the STANAG 2324 rail (picatinny) is out of specs and out of axle with the barrel/gas port.

No, I haven't tried to shoot with optics, mostly because I want to install a taller QD base for my optics, keep usage of the iron sights and use cheek piece riser from SIG that I also bought.
</div></div>

I recently purchased a 522 that was shooting extremely low with the factory iron sights. There was not enough adjustment in the factory sights to get zeroed. I tried a different rear sight from another 522 and it worked perfect. Turns out, the rear sight on mine is almost 1/4 inch shorter than the other. I contacted SIG and they quickly sent me a replacement that fixed the problem.

BTW, I really like the 522 classic swat. Shoots accurate and very well built.