• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Me Find the Perfect Rifle and Scope for My 14 Year Old Son

Strzelec

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2022
California
I’m planning on buying my kid his first hunting rifle for Christmas. He really wants to hunt, and I want to spend more time with him before his life gets too complicated.

I’m not a hunter but have always wanted to. We live in California (yeah, I know). Our first hunt will most likely be pig, guided. After that, who knows, but deer…maybe elk someday?

My local FFL has a Tikka T3X Light Compact in .308 that I’m thinking of going to check out tomorrow. The price is good and the reviews are pretty good as well.

What would you guys recommend for a general purpose scope?

Price range for the Tikka scope ~ $150-$600

The upper range would have to be a scope he would eventually move to a better rifle someday.

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Our Black Friday Sale has started so there's great savings across our site. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

My local FFL has a Tikka T3X Light Compact in .308 that I’m thinking of going to check out tomorrow. The price is good and the reviews are pretty good as well.
Get him a slip on limbsaver recoil pad, itll be much appreciated and keep him from getting beat up too bad, its a light gun in a relatively heavy recoiling round.

Call doug and camerlandny and let him know youre coming by way of the forum and talk about the situation and he will match you up with what you need and probably for a very good price.

personally I hate the idea of just buying a new gun and immediately having to replace something and as I am not a fan of composite plastic stocks Id still go with the tika and either the krg stock which I would want to bed and have pillared or the mdt XRS Chassis that does not require such and spend any extra money on good glass

Well, I appreciate the help, and I was planning on reaching out to Doug after going in to look at the Tikka, but they happened to have a clearance scope in stock and, after some quick internet research, I went with it.

Kid’s getting the following for Christmas:

Tikka T3X Lite Compact .308 Win Synthetic

Rudolph Optics Hunter HD 4-16x42 T4 Reticle

Scope was on sale for $299.97

Suggestions on scope rings?

Reactions: Modoc
Well, I appreciate the help, and I was planning on reaching out to Doug after going in to look at the Tikka, but they happened to have a clearance scope in stock and, after some quick internet research, I went with it.

Kid’s getting the following for Christmas:

Tikka T3X Lite Compact .308 Win Synthetic

Rudolph Optics Hunter HD 4-16x42 T4 Reticle

Scope was on sale for $299.97

Suggestions on scope rings?
Seekins Precision rings, evolution gun works 1-piece base. Worth the money for a bulletproof setup when out in the field. 👍🏼

Being 14 and hunting as a kid I carried a .243 Winchester. It is my dads and being 35 now I just picked up another .243.

Damn didn’t see your last post. Just so you know a light 308 kicks pretty good. I’ve got a Remington 788 with an 18” barrel and I haven’t touched it In two years. (Could be because it’s not threaded and I won’t shoot anything unsuppressed any more)