• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me gain weight with the right supplements.

tmanker

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
nw iowa
I'm 30 years old and will be leaving for BCT in a couple months. I have not gained weight since I was 17. I work out daily and run a lot. What is the best way to gain weight and what supplements should I be taking? I really only want to take some type of protein or equivalent. I understand that calories in > calories out = weight gain but I want to do it right. Thanks a lot.

Re: Help me gain weight with the right supplements.

Your going to get alot of "man you need to do this" or "man you need to take this" type of replies here. You'd be best to ignore most of them, or ask for the person giving the advice to post pictures of themselves as proof they know what the hell they are talking about.

Why dont you start off by listing every single thing that you eat and drink in a normal 24hr period. Tell us how much you weigh, how tall you are, and what you call "working out" everyday. The gym I train at is filled with people moving weights around everyday, but what they are doing is far from working out.

You are right about calories in and calories out. It's actually a very simple concept, yet it eludes so many. Gaining quality/lean mass isn't easy. It takes work and dedication.

We need more info from you in order to help you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your going to get alot of "man you need to do this" or "man you need to take this" type of replies here. You'd be best to ignore most of them, or ask for the person giving the advice to post pictures of themselves as proof they know what the hell they are talking about.

Why dont you start off by listing every single thing that you eat and drink in a normal 24hr period. Tell us how much you weigh, how tall you are, and what you call "working out" everyday. The gym I train at is filled with people moving weights around everyday, but what they are doing is far from working out.

You are right about calories in and calories out. It's actually a very simple concept, yet it eludes so many. Gaining quality/lean mass isn't easy. It takes work and dedication.

We need more info from you in order to help you. </div></div>

Exactly this !!!

Don't get hung up thinking you "need" a protein supplement unless for some reason your diet is not providing the needed protein

Like Trevor300 said , list exactly what you are doing now , adjusting what you are doing is far easier than getting a whole new plan

First of all, thank you for the response and interest. I will start by saying that nothing in this post is about how tough or strong I am. I am a skinny 30 year old man looking for advice. I'm 6'1, 185 lbs. My workouts consist of running 5-6 miles 3-4x per week at a 7 minute mile pace on gravel roads through the hills. My workout consists of lifting weights (or body weight) every day. Workouts consist of both formal and informal programs of mainly pushups, situps, pullups and lunges. A formal workout consists of 7-10 sets of 10 reps pullups, 10-15 sets of 20 reps pushups and 7-10 sets of 40-50 reps situps every other day. Informal program would include 5 sets of 2 min pushups or until failure, 5 sets of 2 min situps or until failure and 5 sets of 15x pullups or until failure. Every now and then I will do sets of 10x pullups with a 45# around my waist. I do lunges with 35# across my chest and squats with 35# across my chest. I rarely use machines in the gym unless working calves, hamstrings and quads. I mix in diamond pushups, standing rows, box jumpers, etc...

My food intake is a little helter skelter because I farm full time and harvest time is not good because many times I don't know when or what I will be eating. I eat a lot of beef, try to eat a can of tuna every night, I drink 1/2-1 gallon of water every day and usually have one 20 oz mello yello per day. I eat a lot of cold sandwiches during the day while in tractor or combine. I never eat breakfast unless copenhagen counts.

I would like to stay away from buying protein or supplements altogether if I can get the right amount through food intake.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your going to get alot of "man you need to do this" or "man you need to take this" type of replies here. You'd be best to ignore most of them, or ask for the person giving the advice to post pictures of themselves as proof they know what the hell they are talking about.

We need more info from you in order to help you. </div></div>

Amen

low volume, heavy set

3 type of protein

1 - morning protein
2 - post workout
3 - Bed time

go to true nutrition

I honestly think that an intermitant fasting diet would work well for you , I know a few MMA fighter than do this and these clowns are in amazing shape.

Basicly you dont eat anything for 18-20 hrs then in a 4-6hr window you have a couple big meals

What these guys do it eat a meal about 4pm , somthing like 10-12oz ground beef or chicken (dark meat) and 12oz sweet potatoes.
5:30pm workout for 2 hrs
7:30 eat another 10-12oz meat and sweet potatoes
9:30 eat more beef of chicken then dont eat again till 4 the next day

I personaly cant do it because i lose muscle not being able to get enough cals it but im some 60-80 heavier than them so its expected but people who are ectomorphic this seems to work great

It's kind of funny where you're coming from because I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum.

6-1 185 is by no means skinny. It's really about ideal. Gaining weight for weights sake doesn't make much sense. It's harder on the joints and everything else. If you want to get bigger/stronger it doesn't necessarily mean packing on weight. I've seen thin guys who are unbelievably strong.

More than diet I would recommend lifting heavier and harder than you are now. It sounds like gaing strength and size is your biggest concern so just keep pushing it heavier and heavier. If you don't gain weight but do get stronger then I say that's a win/win.

I'm 6-1 215 and a fairly experienced weight lifter. I'd love to be around 190 195 ideally. I think my office job is holding me back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randoman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's kind of funny where you're coming from because I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum.

6-1 185 is by no means skinny. It's really about ideal. Gaining weight for weights sake doesn't make much sense. It's harder on the joints and everything else. If you want to get bigger/stronger it doesn't necessarily mean packing on weight. I've seen thin guys who are unbelievably strong.

More than diet I would recommend lifting heavier and harder than you are now. It sounds like gaing strength and size is your biggest concern so just keep pushing it heavier and heavier. If you don't gain weight but do get stronger then I say that's a win/win.

I'm 6-1 215 and a fairly experienced weight lifter. I'd love to be around 190 195 ideally. I think my office job is holding me back. </div></div>

Thanks a lot for the information. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a former Army medic, LRS, 18X. He told me nearly the exact same thing. He said don't gain weight for weights sake. I have gained a ton of muscle strength over the last 6 months, but have lost my waistline a bit. I really don't care what I look like, but how I feel and perform. My formal program seems to be working because taking sets to failure creates soreness every time. I will continue eating healthy and working hard. Thanks a lot.

I agree with not adding extra weight for the sake of having it.. then again, if your a civilian who leads a fairly relaxed life.. who cares if you carry an extra 20 pounds of muscle?

Aside from eating right, and working out using a program that increases strength, protein and creatine are two pretty basic supplements that dont have any industry voodoo behind them.

A basic whey protein, taken before and after a workout, as well as in between meals never hurts.

And taking 5-10g of creatine daily is a proven mass gainer. Dont shell out big bucks for name brand gimmicks, a micronized monohydrate is all you need.

I typically bounce around between 205 and 220 pounds maintaining a sub 10%bf weight of around 205 throughout the year. If I am going into a demanding deployment and need to be light, Ill cut right down. If Im just hanging around the country and training, Ill stay around 210-215.. if Im lazy and on leave.. I can hit 220.

I started off at 6'3 185 pounds when I joined in 06, and through a few years of hard work and good eating, I increased my lean body mass to 205.

In order to gain my quality lean muscle mass, I focused on full body strength routines, working out 3 days a week. I ate as much protein and healthy fat as possible and kept my carbs limited to healthy ones such as vegetables. As long as I was continually getting stronger in my training sessions, my weight would go up if my diet was in caloric surplus.

Its really simple, it just takes time and dedication to being consistent.

Supplements are like the after dinner mint, they do not do most of the work, they add to a healthy eating plan, nothing more.

Plain and simple, you have to eat more and it can't be crap.

http://www.biggersmallerbigger.com/

A nicely detailed experiment as to what it will take to make it happen.

It has been my experience that protein powder is a waste of money and also that without the other food groups and vital vitamins, minerals and nutrients, protein alone is a waste of time.

I donate plasma twice weekly, blood iron and protein levels are monitored closely. On a mostly protein diet at over 200 grams per day (most of that powder), my protein levels were literally skydiving. When I went to a balanced diet of real food, protein levels came back up.

Every meal has the following;

Large bowl of vegetables, no dressing.

Roughly 40 grams of protein from meat, eggs, fish or chicken, steak has the most.

Whole grain carbs and fruit.

Two meals per day my protein levels drop, three per day they stay same or go up slowly, four per day they go up fast.

Four balanced meals per day is what you need to shoot for.

Know this, while you will be able to cut back on eating somewhat once you attain your goal weight, you will still have to eat more than you are now to maintain it.

Unless you really enjoy food and eating, it can really become a chore, literally, read Nate's blog to see what you are in for.

Save the money on supplements and buy real food.

You said a couple of months but exactly how long? I ask because time is a critical equation in results. You also need a base line diet for 5-10 days so you can determine your macro nutrient composition and approximate your caloric intake. As for the training, heavy may work but may not produce the desired result in the time allocated. A better alternative would be cross fit style work as you will be adding agility, speed and cardio into the mix. As for supplements for mass, overrated! There are only four supplements that even work (aside from the designer prohormonal ione type products) and even then it is a drop in the bucket. Money is better spent on whole foods and a good gym. I have an article on my website on base line diets and several more on programs to help start eh process. My site is www.peakedphysique.com if you want to look them over. Bottom line, results = consistency + effort so "just do it" but do it smart.

Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmanker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 30 years old and will be leaving for BCT in a couple months. I have not gained weight since I was 17. I work out daily and run a lot. What is the best way to gain weight and what supplements should I be taking? I really only want to take some type of protein or equivalent. I understand that calories in > calories out = weight gain but I want to do it right. Thanks a lot. </div></div>

Beer,....works great for me. No problem putting on weight. Just consume at least ten tinnies an evening and you will gain weight. Gauaranteed.

Check out the company I work for. Just log in to the site and fill out your profile, it will detail exactly what you need to do to reach your fitness goal. The good thing is, its free to use. Meal plans, supplement guide, sleep help, exercise plans, and attitude improvement. I love this site and I know you will too. Truestar.com/marshallchipley

Havent read all of the posts above but if you want to gain weight suppliments will play a small role, sorry...

If you want to put weight on EAT LIKE A MOTHA-EFFIN MAN-BEAR-PIG!

MEATS VEGGIES NUTS and SEEDS some FRUIT and (if youre like me)a SHIT TON of WHOLE D MILK! I suppliment with protein shakes only right after I Workout, then ill go home and stuff my face with REAL WHOLE FOOD.

A weight gainer may be better than a protein supp, but be aware alot have alot of shitty shit in them as far as ingredients and still, its a suppliment (meaning to suppliment your diet)

Also, if you want to take creatine, have at it, but let me tell you, most of the quick "weight" you will put on from it is WATER....Creatine holds WATER, the REAL reason people take CREATINE is it helps distribute nutrients (like protein) to the muscles faster as it allows your muscles to HOLD onto that water, So it speeds up recovery time, will it allow you to get stronger? sure, but not because it is a wonder drug, it just allows a quicker recovery, and better distribution of nutrients due to its properties (I simplified this for the sake of understanding)

If you want to get stronger?/ or bigger, sorry question youre asking is kind of vague...

HEAVY Compound lifts are best IMHO...

SQUATS, DEADLIFTS, BENCH...and if youre like me OLY lifts (CLEANS, JERKS, SNATCHES, and Front SQUATS
grin.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eboggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you want to put weight on EAT LIKE A MOTHA-EFFIN MAN-BEAR-PIG!

</div></div>

So true. Be methodical about it. Eat every couple hours. Eat healthy stuff, not fast food.

Tmank, if your schedule allows for it, eat every 3 or so hours. Make sure to get protein in each of those meals. Eating frequently is one of the very best things we can do to maintain muscle mass.

For general weight gain guys will quote anywhere from a gram a day to 2 grams a day of protein per pound of goal body weight.

If you can, try to get it from whole foods. If you need help a good protein shake can help a lot.

Keep a log here or on a website like BB.com to track progress. Having that data and showing your success will go really far in helping you out.

Also not sure if you know, but depending on rate of metabolism, your body can only process 15-30 grams of protein per 15 minute period. If you're taking a protein shake with more than 30 grams of protein, drink half wait 15-20 minutes and drink the other or you're literally just shitting your money away.

forget about gaining weight. What you want is to be lean and strong and FIT. Your body is telling you what you might not want to hear. Adding muscle bulk can be done, but it will come at a cost (physically/aerobically and monetary).

Hey man I'm in the same boat as you, I have a VERY HIGH metabolism. I recently found a product by Optimum Nutrition called Serious Mass. This is the only product that has allowed me to gain weight and keep it. Also this is one of the only supplements that taste good. I mix with milk and its just like a milk shake. I was able to gain 1.5lbs a week taking a half dose a day. when I stopped the weight stayed on and I just look a little buffer not fat or anything.

1st: Drop the chew, that's not helping at all.
2nd: You don't eat breakfast? That's a huge problem. You should eat as soon as you roll out of bed, then do some activity and then eat some more because if you do work and get your metabolism going before you've added any fuel to your body all you're going to do is burn off any stored energy that you have which will make it harder to gain. I eat a pbj every morning right when I wake up when I'm gaining, followed by a huge breakfast about an hour later (4 eggs, 2 sliced of bread, mashed potatoes, and sometimes beans)
3rd: The other thing that helps is making sure that you never eat too much in one sitting. Your body can only absorb a certain amount of calories per hour and any more that you eat will just get passed through.
4th: instead of increasing protein, try to eat a balanced diet with plenty of vitamins, if you aren't getting your fruits and veggies adding protein won't help all that much
5th: for muscle gain, the general rule is that you need one gram of protein per pound of body weight that you are trying to get to. So if you want to be at 195, you need to have a daily protein intake of 195 grams. 1 gram of protein = 4 calories.
6th: caffeine doesn't help either, drop it if you can function without it. Don't drink anything that says "diet" (like switching from regular soda to a diet, caffeine free soda) because that has appetite suppressors.

Other than that, don't gain weight if you don't need it. because lets face it, all you've got to do is carry it around and if you aren't using it then it's slowing you down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly think that an intermitant fasting diet would work well for you , I know a few MMA fighter than do this and these clowns are in amazing shape.

Basicly you dont eat anything for 18-20 hrs then in a 4-6hr window you have a couple big meals

What these guys do it eat a meal about 4pm , somthing like 10-12oz ground beef or chicken (dark meat) and 12oz sweet potatoes.
5:30pm workout for 2 hrs
7:30 eat another 10-12oz meat and sweet potatoes
9:30 eat more beef of chicken then dont eat again till 4 the next day

I personaly cant do it because i lose muscle not being able to get enough cals it but im some 60-80 heavier than them so its expected but people who are ectomorphic this seems to work great </div></div>

As an MMA fighter I would just like to say that the only time I've done this diet is when I was cutting weight for a fight, and it makes you feel like shit the whole time.