• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me make up my mind

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So Im about to take all my parts into the smith,(rem700, Kreiger 7.7 twist .224 barrel) to be made into a .223 rem Match shooting 75-80 gr Amax's, I have been bouncing all around at what length to cut the barrel, at first i thought i wanted to go with a 20 inch, but then I got all worried about loosing my velocity, so I thought 21 or 22, but now I'm going back to my original argument that I want short and stiff. I DONT KNOW! please convince me one way or the other.

Re: Help me make up my mind

Just remember that you can always take off more later ...........

Kinda hard to add it back !

I know, but I dont want to do it twice.
    blush.gif

I had trouble deciding too. I went with 22" from the recoil lug. So I guess it's a 23" BBL
    smile.gif

Lee.

The first question that needs to be answered is what max range are you wanting out of it? Also, are you paper or people punching? A longer barrel will have more velocity and better accuracy farther out. If you are shooting 100yds it really doesn't matter but if you are going out to 500 or 600 then I would say longer. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night if you are wondering...............

Look at some of the posts over in beyond 1000. They are pretty informative.

Yes Im very aware of those, I am shooting out to 1000, thats why Im shooting the biggies, so again, I'll ask, how long? how fast? what are you running? and with what load?

21" remains my favorite,mainly due to noise. I've no qualm with a 20" to 1K however,in regards to performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to think of it this way, PAlma shooter use 32" with their .308's to get to 1K...

What you are talking about is approxiamtely 100 ft/secs with your heavies.

Shorter stiffer is sometimes better, longer faster and maybe tighter at the muzzle is always nice.

For super long range (with a .223) I'd have to go longest possible.

That used to be my 2 cents, but with inflation, cost of living etc... call it a nickel's worth of free advice. </div></div>

yes, but thats a .308, I'm talking about a 223. you certainly dont need a 32 in barrel to get a 155 to a 1000 anyways.
    What kind of max velocity can I expect out of a 75-80 bullet in a 20 inch tube?

My 1000-yard .223 has a 22" barrel. It balances nicely at 22" and gives velocities in the 2800-2850 range with 80gr bullets and either RE15 or 4895.

You might get marginally more velocity out of 24" barrel with very slow powders, but, when using a standard .223 case, more than 24" won't get you anything except increased sight radius if you need that for irons.

I also run 80gr VLD's in a 23" barrel. 2900fps and I have had no problem getting to 900yds using RL-15 and Lapua brass.

I don't shoot 75gr bullets. I shoot JLK 80VLD's with 24.5 of RE15.

You want a 21" 223AI kissing the 75A-Max anywhere between 2.450" and 2.500". 80's can't hang.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want a 21" 223AI kissing the 75A-Max anywhere between 2.450" and 2.500". 80's can't hang. </div></div>

Forgive the ignorance but, what do you mean "cant hang", explain please.