• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me overcome my fears...

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    I’ve accumulated a bunch of high-end all-factory black rifles — KAC SR-25’s, SR-15’s, Noveske’s, LMT’s, some mid-range POF’s, etc.

But... they’re all still black. I hate black.

I’ve never rattle-canned anything other than steel plates on my range, but here I sit with a bunch of brand new Krylon Camo spray cans next to my high-dollar rifles. I’ve watched the YT videos and seen some amazing paint jobs. I use my guns, and don’t sell my stuff, so I’m not really concerned with affecting “resale” value.

But, for some reason, I just can’t bring myself to do it. Should I skip the cans and go to a qualified Cerakote applicator? Will Cerakote wear and give that patina everyone seems to covet?

Or should I just man-up and blast my $10K gun/scope/MAWL?

I know what your going through. Its a fun thing to do and it looks cool. But, another thing to consider is resale value. With AR's it isn't great to begin with, painting it will make it worse.

I have a few Frankenbuilds, mostly PSA stuff. I’ll start with them. I think I need to just do it once or twice and then I won’t be such a wuss. The only issue is, I like to keep my guns wet, so I slather them in Mobil-1 inside and out. That’ll take some work stripping it down and getting it dry.

I have a few Frankenbuilds, mostly PSA stuff. I’ll start with them. I think I need to just do it once or twice and then I won’t be such a wuss. The only issue is, I like to keep my guns wet, so I slather them in Mobil-1 inside and out. That’ll take some work stripping it down and getting it dry.

There's no reason for that, a few drops on the BCG keeps it running all day.

I can relate. Maybe this will help. I sent one gun off for Cerakoting to Mad Custom. Looks great, very happy with it. Then I rattle canned another. Very happy with it. All the rest I finished myself, Krylon/Rustoleum, and haven’t looked back.

I’ve got a background in interior finish work, drywall and painting, so I wasn’t too concerned. Grab some cheap throwaway stocks or old beaters from a gun show, practice on those. Pretty good chance you’ll know then what you’re willing to do after that.

Show us how they turn out!

ETA: like is often pointed out, it’s really mostly about prepwork, keeping each coat lighter than you think it should be, and be patient. Base coat lighter color.

Reactions: TheHorta
    Maybe this will help....My project today is to finally get around to painting my scope to somewhat match the rifle:

zco_mounted.png

All total..scope and rifle and accessories....this lump of metal is just under $10k....I HATE plain ole black rifles....everyone has one...they get hot in the summer....and they are BORING. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but sometimes you gotta make things appeal to you...and not those around you.

My goal in painting my rifle is stop babying it...to use it as the tool it is....don't worry about a ding or scratch here or there....it's a friggin tool....go put it to work. They cry when you put them into a safe....they beg to get out and stretch their legs.

If you love your rifle....you will allow it to be whatever color it wants to be.

I like spray paint because if your ever want to change it i you just soak it in some acetone and spray it off and your back to black...

Nice thing about doing a cerakote base layer for the same reason

I'm having this same dilemma too. Start with something less valuable and see how you feel about it. I shot my tripod setup with green krylon and have been using the heck out of it. I regretted my decision for the first five minutes, but it's developed a cool patina and I spend more time using it and less time worrying about keeping it perfect now. Plus, everyone I shoot with seems to think it looks cool, and if I get tired of it I'll just wipe it off and spray on another color.

As Kamerad said, use a couple of light coats instead of one heavy one. Make sure to post some pictures!

- Will

Ovens are for PopTarts....not Rifle Scopes ;)
    That must be Leupolds’ secret with the Mk 4. Bake it at 4.5-14x50mm Fahrenheit For 100 Minutes of angle. Let cool, and serve with recoil.

Cerakote is a good product, good support and very good instructions for someone who wants to DIY.... Start small and work up to larger objects. It's a great learning experience.

Hobo

I'd strip my entire rig down to base Cerakote if I could find a place to do that Cerakote Laser pattering that I saw on a Shot Show video.

I know what your going through. Its a fun thing to do and it looks cool. But, another thing to consider is resale value. With AR's it isn't great to begin with, painting it will make it worse.
    RESALE? You guys actually SELL your guns? My guns are like family. Once they make it into the family, never on the market again.

Who cares about resale value or if you fuck it up? It's rattle can paint, you can take it off if you want to.

Just go for it!!!

IMG_20200603_205617_922.jpg
    IMG_20200603_205421_670.jpg
    IMG_20200603_205117_994.jpg
    IMG_20200514_030344_785.jpg
    IMG_20200214_211611_502.jpg
    IMG_20200214_211401_708.jpg

Those are just a few I've done, I have more but need to look for those pics.

Best thing about Cerakote is that it holds paint really well.😃

Not sorry.

It would be my luck that I’d get everything taped off perfectly. Go to paint and have a nice even coat on the scope lenses, and nowhere else...

It would be my luck that I’d get everything taped off perfectly. Go to paint and have a nice even coat on the scope lenses, and nowhere else...

that's why you take everything apart, that means removing the scope...
    20200601_191329.jpg
    IMG_20200603_123145_968.jpg
    20200206_013919.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: gro
    I remember being nervous about it for my first rifle. I babied it until I accidently gouged the receiver. Just had to tell myself "it's only a tool, it's only a tool." The hardest part is the first stripe. Just close your eyes and let one rip, after that it's easy. It's also just a fun way to make it yours. Only one of my rifles is non-painted now, but it's gonna get it in a week or so.

Cerakote looks great as well, but I like mine to wear, and I want to change up the colors on occasion.

And yes, the knight's armament was the one that had the most hand-wringing before rattle-canning. But it made it even more awesome. No regrets.

Good luck.

Just throw them down the driveway a few times. The paint look is so 2010, now it's all about battle worn look for operators.

DD4F25FA-2B57-4733-96C2-90E0A38FA0BE.jpeg

low res picture, but diy krylon paint job. Once you are done hit it with a few coats of matte clear coat and it will last a real long time.

I’ve accumulated a bunch of high-end all-factory black rifles — KAC SR-25’s, SR-15’s, Noveske’s, LMT’s, some mid-range POF’s, etc.

I’ve never rattle-canned anything other than steel plates on my range, but here I sit with a bunch of brand new Krylon Camo spray cans next to my high-dollar rifles. I’ve watched the YT videos and seen some amazing paint jobs. I use my guns, and don’t sell my stuff, so I’m not really concerned with affecting “resale” value.

But, for some reason, I just can’t bring myself to do it. Should I skip the cans and go to a qualified Cerakote applicator? Will Cerakote wear and give that patina everyone seems to covet?

Use a certafied Ceracoat applicator. Costs more but well worth it.

Here are some of my rattle can painted rifles
    Hrg2fCH.jpg

234ASbH.jpg

dhwnywx.jpg

Or you could get in on the Shortbus group buy about to start round 2.

Rattle canning scares me so much but damn the results are sweet, especially when you beat on them.

Locate some cool stencils and start spraying.

Attachments

• 20181025_195225.jpg
      20181025_195225.jpg
      692.6 KB · Views: 78
    Reactions: secm
    The good thing about rattle canning over the top of a nice Cerakote is....when you decide to wear different shoes and carry another purse....you can acetone the paint straight off and change it to match your outfit of the day.

This is my I Don't Give A Fuck paint job:

zcopaint1.png

And later on...when I wanna go to something else...I can strip this off in an hour. Sorry @CSTactical for covering up your beautiful Cerakote job :)

you can do it ... if worse comes to worse you just have it repainted black and only you would know the difference . Best case sinareo you love it and over do it with everything start painting the walls of your house like your guns and your car , and kids , wife and people think you lost your mind and you get a paid vacation to a place with padded walls but even that has a up side , the meds are included so live it up .