• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a chronograph

Mohawk3a

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
California
I need a new chronograph. I will be using it primarily at local outdoor ranges, where there is usually good sunlight. I'm most conceded with accuracy above all. What are the top 2 most accurate chronographs regardless of price? Thanks

Re: Help me pick a chronograph

The CED M2 is what I'm leaning toward when I replace my Pact.

Stay away from anything with the CHRONY name on it.

So the 35P is the only one that'll drive 3 screens at once? Is it/are they actually needed, or what are your thoughts?

How about the USB ports on the CED II, do any/many here transfer to a computer?

I have the use of a 35P and do like it, but I went ahead and bought a CED II cause its simple, robust (dont ask me how I found that out, more than once) and accurate. Will be hooking it up to a laptop here soon as I get my building done.

Bryan Litz writes in his <span style="font-style: italic">Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting</span> that he tested a CED Millennium against a 35P and found their readings close enough that he switched to the CED. The processor in the new CED M2 is substantially faster than what was in the old Millennium model, making it even more accurate.

The three screens on the Oehler give it the ability to do QC on its own readings. It can time every bullet over three segments and if A+B don't equal C, or if A & B aren't very close, it reports an error. No 2-screen chrono can do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the 35P is the only one that'll drive 3 screens at once? Is it/are they actually needed, or what are your thoughts?

How about the USB ports on the CED II, do any/many here transfer to a computer? </div></div>

Yes. You can save everything. Create Graphs, and all kinds of stuff I do not know how to do yet. It was must for me. I have trouble reading my own handwriting, and very unorganized. I can keep word documents or excel spreadsheets very good though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the USB ports on the CED II, do any/many here transfer to a computer? </div></div>

I transfer all my data out of my CED. I then screen shoot it and edit them onto pictures of my target. Use target calc to calc the group size and add text to the pictures.

60gr-200m.jpg

Terry

I have a CED M2 and it serves me very well. I have never regretted buying it...it seems accurate and I have had good luck in very questionable lighting conditions even though I do not have the IR sky screen set...if I upgrade it will probly be to a pvm-21...chrono results downloading software is simple and easy to use. It is the only chrono I have ever used though so my experience is limited but seriously doubt you will feel like you mad bad decision

Oehler 35P is a nice bit of kit. I have used mine for over 10 years.
I think the three screens are needed. The first starts the timer, the next stops the first timer, and also starts the second timer. The last stops the second. It will tell you if the reading is accurate. It will do everything I need it to do and then some. JPG

Oehler if you can afford/get one
CED M2 should serve your purposes well.

Shooting chrony if your on a budget or prone to accidents.

laugh.gif

I bought my Oehler M33 back about 1982/3. It served quite well for 20 odd plus years. It finally died at the hands of a miss place 357 Mag; I was not the shooter. Since Oehler had no more spare parts I had to buy the CED M2. It served quite well for the first 9 months. One day it quit working. After numerous phone calls and "flash light tests" with the CED CS folks, it was determined they would replace my main unit; then one sky screen and eventually the next sky screen. This happened over the summer of 2010. I lost my entire summer's worth of shooting to this POS. Charles Hardy, the CEO, called me from Hong Kong, while on a business trip and after 20-30 min of talking deemed me fully capable of running a chronograph. Apparently he feels most customers don't know how to properly operate one. So after spending numerous hours on the phone and my own money to send each component back for replacement, the new components started working again but with a quirk. It started to have problems that equated to it not detecting the bullet passing overhead around 10:30 each morning. It was so weird. I could just about tell what time it was without even looking at my watch. After fighting with this for 3 months I was DONE. I sent a terse email to Hardy demanding my money back. It really went down hill from there. He accused me of not knowing how to operate a chronograph. He suggested for the M2 to work properly I should build a black box like the one they show in their DVD. Give me a break! If a chronograph needs to be place in a dark box to operate, what does that say about their unit? Hardy agreed to refund my money as it was still under the 1 year warranty. I got something like $60 some odd dollars.

I took that $ and ordered a new Oehler M35P and MAN let me tell you. That thing simply works in any condition I've used it in. Overcast, sunny, cold, bright and sunny with snow on the ground, early, mid day, freezing temps and the sun direction has not affected it one single bit! Their's a string of conversations over on Longrangehunting.com and numerous CED M2 users have also had horrible experiences the M2.

Maybe I got a lemon and then another lemon but it sealed my opinion of CED after dealing with Charles Hardy. He needs to leave his CS issues to his CS folks.

Alan

I have an Oehler 35-P. Bought it last year. Like the previous post, it operates well in all conditions I have put it in. Sunny, cloudy, 20-30 mph winds(tethered down of course)...no problems whatsoever. I picked mine up at Mr. Oehler's office since I live in the Austin area. Mr. Oehler personally walked me through all the parts and set up procedure. We then sat down and discussed the finer points on ballistics. If my daughter wasn't running around his office I got the idea he would have been plenty happy to sit there and talk to me all day long. Great company, local and a super nice man.

As a side note, the company has always had replacement parts available for people who needed them, even when the unit was not available for purchase.

I have no experience with the CED. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks for the help, I'll be looking into a 35p

I really like my Oehler 35P. I've had other's in the past. This is the best. Professional quality and accuracy.

I have a CED M2 because I wanted a 'good' reliable chrono and didn't have the $$ for the Oehler.

Also, at the time I didn't realize how often I would be using my chrono. I use it all the time for both rifle and pistol. Always nice to have a sanity check when playing with new powders.

I personally think the CED M2 feels like a KB toy when I use it. I'm always cursing those damn cheap plastic arms that you mount the shields in and I know it's just a matter of time before they break. It frustrates me to no end. I wish I had saved my $$ and bout the Oehler as I understand this isn't an issue.

I am pretty happy with my CED M2 though..

The CED Millenium 2 has worked well for me for the most part. I have issues in the evenings when the shadow of the roof of the range awning partially covers the screens (like on one screen and not on the other). Sometimes switching to the IR screens helps with this. The IR screens are very sensative to battery condition. If the battery is not fully charged, I get errors.

It is much better than the POS Shooting Chrony that I returned prior to purchasing the CED.

I own the Pact Model 1 XP. A buddy has one and his has always worked pretty well. Mine has been back to Pact 3 times. First 2 they replaced the sensors, worked about 20% of the time. Last 2 times back the main unit was in a couple of pieces as I kicked it as hard as I could with size 14 steel toed boots. They repaired it time before last but last time they sent a new head unit. It works pretty well if the sun is directly overhead. The last time after reading how good the infra-red sensors work, I ordered them when they sent the complete unit back. I got around to building a black box to put it in so it would work in any kind of condition. Cannot get it to read anything that is faster than 1500 fps. Reads pistol rounds about half of the time. Everytime I've called I'm given the same old story that you have to make sure the cables are seperated and you need to have the sensors at least 10' away. Well the last time after telling him I had the center of the screens 10' away, was told that my problem was muzzle blast and I needed the screens 5' away???? Said not to have the head unit where the muzzle blast would effect it (sensor in head unit???). I really called to find out what wavelength the IR lights were because I could see nothing with my night shot Sony camera. He didn't have a clue but said you should be able to see a faint red glow down in the sensor. In complete darkness you can see 1 infra-red LED. I don't think 1 LED is going to cut it in my black box unless I shoot in total darkness (muzzle flash would prevent that from working). So now, I've got some white LED light strips ordered to place inside the box and just use the regular sensors. Maybe that will work. I've wasted enough ammo trying to get the damn thing to work that I could have bought 3 35P's.

If you have the funds, go with the Oehler 35P. I have used several others on the market and the Oehler is the most consistent that I have used so far.