• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help me pick a few knives as a gift for groomsmen...

j-moose32

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
Hey guys I'm going to get my groomsmen a gift of a nice knife. Looking at Benchmade or Spyderco as they are made in the USA (as far as I know). Open to suggestions but I don't want to get something that is a meat cleaver / massive. Looking for a folder or possibly an auto - something that can actually be an EDC knife. Looked at the Benchmade 940, and Bailout green so far.

Not a knife guy so very open to suggestions and input. Ive been saying for a good 3 years I'm going to get myself a nice knife to carry again and just never have. I curse myself every time I need one and don't have one 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also $200 ish range is the limit, lemme know some thoughts. Ill be keeping my eyes open for the black Friday/ Christmas sales in general.

Thanks boys

Reactions: Remington_Steel
Simple, elegant, and extremely effective

1606444474977.png

and in case you are attacked during your wedding your groomsmen can help protect the wedding party . you could always go with commemorative matching ar's for your wedding that would be special one for each of your groomsmen and for the bridesmaids just a thought . and maybe one for the nut case that suggested the idea hint hint lol congrats if your getting married .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: j-moose32
I'd go with Spyderco over everything mentioned so far if you intend them to be used regularly. IMO, benchmade is overrated for the money most of the time.

Spyderco works with damn near every steel under the sun, including some really exotic stuff like maximet. Their heat treat is usually damn good as well. Different steels are better suited to different tasks and a lot of the exotic stuff will hold an edge for a really long time and take a ton of abuse, but it's a huuuuge pain in the ass to sharpen when the time comes.

Good all around stainless and relatively easy to sharpen- CPM-154, 440C, AEB-L
Premium Stainless- M390, M398
Exotic- Maximet, S110V, ZDP-189, REX 121, tungsten carbide stuff

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of suitable steels and a huge range of heat treatments for each one. These are just a few examples. A good knife will last a lifetime. The spyderco won't have stag or exotic burl scales, but it'll be a workhorse. Polished blades and fancy scales don't stay pretty forever as EDC items anyway. Can't go wrong with the delicas.

Reactions: CraigG1
EDIT: Missed the folder part. Bugout would be my recommendation. But see below. The big Buck made a huge impression on my guys, more so than a folder would have IMO.

I gave these to the men in the family when my nephew got married earlier this year. Buck Knives 192 Vanguard Fixed Blade Knife W/Sheath, Rosewood Handle. Decent leather sheath too.

America!
0192RWSBP5__27659.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington_Steel
and in case you are attacked during your wedding your groomsmen can help protect the wedding party . you could always go with commemorative matching ar's for your wedding that would be special one for each of your groomsmen and for the bridesmaids just a thought . and maybe one for the nut case that suggested the idea hint hint lol congrats if your getting married .

I actually laughed out loud at this haha. Im not a "poor" but rifles for everyone aint happening ha

Reactions: acudaowner
kinda thought i was reaching a bit with the rifles , but derringers might fit in that budget .
under 200 dollars and even colors for the women . more like 1/2 of everything you own and your balls as a trophy's just to piss you off .

Last edited:
kinda thought i was reaching a bit with the rifles , but derringers might fit in that budget .
under 200 dollars and even colors for the women . more like 1/2 of everything you own and your balls as a trophy's just to piss you off .

good news is...she makes the same if not more than me : )

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner

good news is...she makes the same if not more than me : )
smart man .... and if she is alot younger, she can support you in retirement. I just bought my wife a benchmade for her birthday.
I married above my scale too, good man.

All mine got 18” Ontario machetes with a wrapped handle and paracord lanyard. Cheap, effective, and they all liked it.

The Leek is a great knife. Sharp, pointy, and easy to sharpen. It is a bit slick though, perhaps not the best for slippery conditions. That said, I cannot recommend a Zero Tolerance 0350 enough. The knife is solid, retains a good edge, cuts well, and locks open quickly and with authority. Very happy with my ZT.

All mine got 18” Ontario machetes with a wrapped handle and paracord lanyard. Cheap, effective, and they all liked it.

The Leek is a great knife. Sharp, pointy, and easy to sharpen. It is a bit slick though, perhaps not the best for slippery conditions. That said, I cannot recommend a Zero Tolerance 0350 enough. The knife is solid, retains a good edge, cuts well, and locks open quickly and with authority. Very happy with my ZT.

This. The ZT0350 is hands down the best blade out there under $200.

For ultimate edc, you can get them benchmade bugouts (I prefer the green and black). A little less practical but much cooler and still very usable is the benchmade fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: j-moose32
Moose, you received some excellent suggestions above. I don't know if your groomsman is a precision shooter, or not, but one of my favorite purchases under $200 was Borka tools. However, a shooter always needs a great set of tools. You might look at the Borka site. Boris has some wonderful tool kits. They have excellent tool kits, or you can build your own. My recommendation is the Borka Torque Driver Kit which is $200-$250, give them a look at [email protected]. Better yet give Boris a call, he is incredibly knowledgeable and loves to talk with his customers.

First year your married you put a jelly bean in a jar every time you get laid , after the first year you take a jelly bean out of the jar every time you get laid. You'll never empty the jar.........

Not to be that guy, but pretty sure me and the ole lady disproved this. And only been married 3 years. No kids yet which probably helps.

Not to be that guy, but pretty sure me and the ole lady disproved this. And only been married 3 years. No kids yet which probably helps.

Same here. Don't let yourself go and you'll be fine. If you get hitched and then go straight to the buffet that's gonna be a problem.

The more interest other women show in you, the more you'll get laid in my experience. Stay fit and well groomed and it'll never be an issue.

13 years and four kids later we still need to wrap the headboard posts in socks to keep from waking the kids.

First year your married you put a jelly bean in a jar every time you get laid , after the first year you take a jelly bean out of the jar every time you get laid. You'll never empty the jar.........

Sucks for that guy. Definitely not my experience, even after 36 years. :)

Reactions: candyx
@Slash0311 your knife looks awesome I feel like I came across your pic somewhere else and was wondering what it was. I was on there site and they have some sweet stuff. How does it fit in pocket for edc? Looked at their site and it seems everything is heavier than similar sized benchmades etc.

@Rio2019 , good idea but I’m the only one who shoots any precision stuff

@PBWalsh , definitely going to look at the ZT as well

thanks for the good contributions so far everyone!

Reactions: PBWalsh
I posted that pic in the Beachmade thread. Couldn't let BMs get all the love. Emerson knives are heavy and built to cut open a tank. Ernest Emerson does blogs and is a ture American. It rides in a pocket great. Most come with a pocket clip for right hand carry and draw but you can order them for left hand carry. The wave feature is what sold me. Some people don't like it because they feel their grip changes too much but that happens with just about any knife from a pocket. Feel free to PM me or post any questions here.

Dude you will only find this love once and these men are going to be there to share your special moment as you and bride become one........nothing less than Randall will do.

Etiquette is you spend as much or twice on your buds what the rings cost.

PS - Tell your best man he owes me the case of 175 FGMM per agreement.

very impressive little knife.