• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help me pick a scope for my AR10

JayCarver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Looking for something to top a AR10. My last one I had a S&B ultrashort 3-20. Don't have the budget for that this time and don't really want something that heavy.

For some background this is a 18" 308, it will pretty much live in my truck, will be my primary hunting rifle.

Things I want are:

Light weight
X-Mas Tree Reticle
Capped or locking windage
Low magnification of 2-4
High magnification of 12+

Some of the scopes that I'm considering so far:
Bushnell LRHS 3-12
NF ATACR 4-16

What other options are there? I'm hoping to keep it under that $2k range but thats not a must

You said something not that heavy but the 4-16 is similar in weight.
The Bushnell dmr2 with h59 fits well on a big frame ar.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

You said something not that heavy but the 4-16 is similar in weight.

True, it's at the top end of were I want the weight to be, really only considering it because I have a 5-25 ATACR on my 338LM bolt gun and love the FOV and brightness.

I will check out the DMR2 also, thanks (Edit: That suckers too heavy @ 34oz)

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat, trying to scope a 20" KAC SR25/M110. It currently has a USO LR17, but it's WAY too long and it's heavy too. But all I had laying around. I would love one of the S&B's for this rifle, but not gonna happen. If you don't mind a 5-25x though, you can pick one up on here for a killer deal. Always awesome deals on 5-25x's on the 'Hide!

So I'm considering the ATACR 4-16 now myself, not sure if I want the Tremor 3 reticle or what. Never used those before, been a GAP or TMR type myself. Leupold Mk6's were nice, priced competitively, UNLESS you want an illuminated reticle, I guess that's an additional $1500 or so! Man, I looked at 'em all night long last night. Then I ran across the Hensoldt 4-16 for $2600 with the NH1 illum. milling reticle. I hear this is one of the best optics made, period. Glass is peerless, built like a tank. 13", 2lbs. I had a hard time finding anything shorter or as short but lighter in a significant way that wasn't significantly more than $25xx. For a little less there is the Hensoldt 3-12x which looked PERFECT to me at first, but on closer review noticed it only comes with the mildot reticle. The 4-16 can be had for a bit less with the same reticle. Just your basic mildot, hollow dots, full line illum. just like the other. Steiner M5Xi's in 3-15 were going for $2500 also and there may have been some others.

I also looked at the Nightforce NXS scopes, I like the idea of 2.5-10x in a small scope which comes in 3 different obj. sizes, many of which were quite short and light. No fancy reticles. Those were $500 or so less than the ATACR which can be had with newer reticles, 34mm tube and more mag. for $500 more. In short, there are plenty of optics like this in the $2500ish range.

Go "back" and here on this forum there is a sticky thread about tracking. HIGHLY recommend going over that before making ANY purchase. Tracking is really everything when you think of it. Some were way better than others, and results of some shocked me. Anyway, good luck!

I'm in a similar boat, trying to scope a 20" KAC SR25/M110. It currently has a USO LR17, but it's WAY too long and it's heavy too. But all I had laying around. I would love one of the S&B's for this rifle, but not gonna happen. If you don't mind a 5-25x though, you can pick one up on here for a killer deal. Always awesome deals on 5-25x's on the 'Hide!

So I'm considering the ATACR 4-16 now myself, not sure if I want the Tremor 3 reticle or what. Never used those before, been a GAP or TMR type myself. Leupold Mk6's were nice, priced competitively, UNLESS you want an illuminated reticle, I guess that's an additional $1500 or so! Man, I looked at 'em all night long last night. Then I ran across the Hensoldt 4-16 for $2600 with the NH1 illum. milling reticle. I hear this is one of the best optics made, period. Glass is peerless, built like a tank. 13", 2lbs. I had a hard time finding anything shorter or as short but lighter in a significant way that wasn't significantly more than $25xx. For a little less there is the Hensoldt 3-12x which looked PERFECT to me at first, but on closer review noticed it only comes with the mildot reticle. The 4-16 can be had for a bit less with the same reticle. Just your basic mildot, hollow dots, full line illum. just like the other. Steiner M5Xi's in 3-15 were going for $2500 also and there may have been some others.

I also looked at the Nightforce NXS scopes, I like the idea of 2.5-10x in a small scope which comes in 3 different obj. sizes, many of which were quite short and light. No fancy reticles. Those were $500 or so less than the ATACR which can be had with newer reticles, 34mm tube and more mag. for $500 more. In short, there are plenty of optics like this in the $2500ish range.

Go "back" and here on this forum there is a sticky thread about tracking. HIGHLY recommend going over that before making ANY purchase. Tracking is really everything when you think of it. Some were way better than others, and results of some shocked me. Anyway, good luck!

I too have spent a lot of time trying equip an AR in 308/260 -- keeping things streamlined and light is not an easy task. I'm currently running a MK6 3-18x w/ TMR reticle and it's not bad for the weight. I think I liked the March 3-24x a bit better to be honest. (but, I did pay about $600 more for the March)

Thanks for the replies guys, leaning toward the ATACR 4-16 but not really liking any of the reticles they offer, the hunt continues...

I feel I lucked out on a 4-16x42 PMII that came equipped with an H37 reticle. I really like it on my 7.62/.308. If I didn't have this one I'd be looking at either the Gen 2 Razor 3-18x50 EBR-2C or the Mark 6 3-18x44 H59.

Attachments

• photo60952.jpg
    photo60952.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 42
I went through the same process. LHRS for me. Met all my criteria for a truck hunting rifle.

Currently I'm mostly running a NF 4-16 and two 3-12 Bushy LRHS on my precision riffles. Unless you're likely to be shooting further than 800m regularly I'd opt for the LRHS. It's a really great little scope. The NF is better, but the difference is a lot closer than the price would suggest.

I feel I lucked out on a 4-16x42 PMII that came equipped with an H37 reticle. I really like it on my 7.62/.308. If I didn't have this one I'd be looking at either the Gen 2 Razor 3-18x50 EBR-2C or the Mark 6 3-18x44 H59.

That my friend is a sweet scope/setip. Love that reticle.