• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a scope

Warpspeed

Hopper King
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2006
SoCal
dramworx.com
I know there are probably a dozen threads already but my search skills are lacking greatly so here goes:

I think I might want to try my hand at a local PRS type competition.

Money isn't tight but I don't feel like spending $ 3K+ on something that might only come out a 3 - 6 times a year.

So I was thinking about something like a Leupold 5HD or a Bushnell XRS3 or maybe a Vortex Razor

What am I giving up to say a NF ATACR or Kahles or USO or ?

Thanks in advance

I think everybody will have their own view on scopes. Once you hit a certain quality / price point, the reticle becomes very important and the way the turrets feel to you. Scopes are like slippers. A scope will be right for you.

If you are looking at PRS, you will most likely want at least 16x, if not 20x or 25x. I would not recommend more, as you want to stay under $3k.

I think Leupold Mark 5HD is a good scope to look at. Downside is illumination is lacking, or an expensive option. Razor has a reticle that you will either like or not. Razor tends to have a steep depreciation in value, if trading scopes is every an ambition. Same for Bushnell. I would look at Nightforce NX8, and probably in the 2.5-20x. Athlon presents some attractive scopes that don't break the bank. There is a certain following here, and you will love it or you won't. There are some deals to be had with Sig Tango 6, which is a decent scope, but does not get a lot of respect.

For the use you are looking at might not recommend Kahles or ATACR, as you will spend a lot more to get 4% better results. You can keep spending more and your scope will feel like butter, but maybe that is another phase down the road.

I don't shoot many events, mostly just for fun. On the low end I like the Burris XTR II and the Bushnell XRS or DMR series. A friend has a couple and I am impressed with the bang for the buck.

You can also watch the used market for a lightly used ATACR or Razor as they can be had well within your budget.

If the scope only comes out 3-6 times per year I’m not sure the PRS competition is gonna go over very well. That being said to each their own I guess. I have a DMR3 and it’s very impressive. XTRII has similar glass and should be good if you want more power. They’re in the PX.

Reactions: Gohring65
I know there are probably a dozen threads already but my search skills are lacking greatly so here goes:

I think I might want to try my hand at a local PRS type competition.

Money isn't tight but I don't feel like spending $ 3K+ on something that might only come out a 3 - 6 times a year.

So I was thinking about something like a Leupold 5HD or a Bushnell XRS3 or maybe a Vortex Razor

What am I giving up to say a NF ATACR or Kahles or USO or ?

Thanks in advance
....you might want to look into the Brownell's Math Precision Optics (MPO) line, especially considering your reference to $$$. The 2020 SH article on scope tracking test results, the MPO garnered a 100% rating, see article here: https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/scope-tracking-test-results-2020/

...Koshkin did a review of the 3x18 model, which can be found here:

...there are an abundance of scopes that fall below the cost of the MPO line and above, with just as many opinions on those scopes as well, so filter all of the hyperbole out and consider your stated usage rate of less than 10 times a year -vs- cost of scope and how it would be used in those instances.

...Brownell's "satisfaction guarantee, no questions asked" is pretty good if you don't like the scope just return for refund.

Last edited: