• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me pick a Steiner..

fewlio

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2014
I'm really liking the closeout deal on discontinued scopes offered by eurooptics right now. They have a 3-12x56mm for 1099, a 3-12x50mm for 1199, and a 4-16x50mm for 1299. I'm favoring the first one because it's cheaper and has more light transmission. Any reasons I should reconsider and buy one of the others?

Also, I'm mounting to a Savage 10fcp w/ integrated 20 moa picatinny scope rail. What are some quality rings, and what height should I be looking at? I'm picking up that rings that allow the scope to be as low to the barrel as possible is best?

this will be my first optic beyond fixed 3x flip to side optic mounted on my ar15. Thanks for your time and expertise.

Last edited:
Are you low light hunting with it where that additional objective size (and associated weight and mounting limitations) will be advantageous to you? If so, then go with the x56 if you feel you need it. If not, go 4-16x for sure as the additional magnification will certainly pay off as you start stretching the legs, and you can always dial back the magnification to allow more light to hit your eye in the twilight hours.

As for rings, Seekins have become my personal favorite for quality, strength and not a bad price. For height of them there's a sticky in the optics forum for that, check this post: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...info-how-measure-correctly-5.html#post2349606

Welcome to the Hide.

I have the 3-12x56 and I love it. I think it is a great scope. I have it mounted on an AR15, although its quite big, it makes for a great SPR scope for my needs. I am impressed with the scope and will hang on to it for a good while. As a side note, if you are wanting more power with limited cost in the same glass league (at least to my eyes) go with an SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD. You won't be disappointed with any decision of these scopes.

I purchased the 3-12X56 back when Sportsman's Guide was having a sale on 'em. I believe they were going for a bit more, $1399 if I remember correctly. I've got mine mounted on a Savage 10FP in .308. I shoot the rifle pretty much exclusively off a bipod so the weight/bulk is not an issue. I mounted the scope with a Warne 20 MOA one-piece base and 34mm Warne rings. Sits high enough to clear Butler Creeks by about 1/4".

I shoot my set-up out to about 600 yards and am plenty happy with the glass quality and the magnification level. I'm sure it would do fine out to 1000 yards or so as well. If you're looking for further information on this particular scope check out this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzx3DscRvwo

Here's my set-up:

ASUS_-_20140307_164233.jpg

If price is a consideration look at the Burris XTR II stuff, they have a Steiner feel to them but cheaper. If you can get a Steiner 4-16x they are very good scopes the NEW 3-15x are also very nice.

If price is a consideration look at the Burris XTR II stuff, they have a Steiner feel to them but cheaper. If you can get a Steiner 4-16x they are very good scopes the NEW 3-15x are also very nice.

Are the new Burris XTR II's really up to the same quality and glass level of Steiner's?

i went with the 3-12x56 reasoning im a newb and 12x should be good enough(i understand the military uses 10x max). i have good eyes 20/20 vision and it seems from reviews that the Steiner has top tier color and optics which is important to me. got the seekins lows as well, hope the bell clears my barrel! i didnt have a tool to measure on my rifle and i didnt want to risk losing my "bargain at $2000 " scope for $1050 while i got my shittogether and then it sold out. if it doesnt clear euroootic said i could exchange for the next size up rings. thanks guys. i did order vortex 30mm bubble level earlier anticipating a 30mm scope (doh!!!)
with rifle and accessories, im at $2600 and counting..my most expensive firearm system of all time :)

Last edited:
They are great scopes for that price...You can't go wrong with them. I just picked up one of the 3-12x50 for $1099.00 (less if you call them and use eCheck) with Seekins Low .92" rings for my Medium Palma barrel. They said that ring height will work.