• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick my m brake

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
Before any of you macho men come out and start calling me or my rifle names, yes, I am putting a brake on a heavy 260. I have shot it plenty and my shoulder is just fine, however, I want to see impacts on higher magnification.

So, I wanted a good brake and I had my eyes set on the J.P. Tactical but the OD is ~.080" smaller than the Savage bbl I have. I might go with the original muzzle brake from them but the thing is funky lookin. Anyone have any recommendations for a good brake that will fit a 1" bbl? (good = effective and no downward blast)

Re: Help me pick my m brake

Give the APA Little Bastard a look. Standard diameter on it is 1" and it works well in my experience.

The Vias on my winmag is fantastic. But it does have bottom ports. However, they have never been an issue for me. My winmag is like a puppy dog with it on. Insanely loud though

I just got a Holland Radial Baffle Brake put on by Holland himself. I'm quite happy with the results and wrote up a review here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3664715#Post3664715

I also put together a video of the recoil before and after the brake here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZAVmVaFWo&feature=youtu.be

You really need to watch the video close to see the difference. Watch not only the muzzle but also how it affects my body. The gun doesn't come off target even at close range with the brake even if you've not got a good understanding of recoil management. Also my mom was scared of my 308 after shooting it. But she's 5'8" and still weighs only about 115 lbs and in her 60's. After installing the brake she says it kicks well less than her 270.

Hope this helps.

~Brett

I have the JP recoil eliminator on my .308 and I love it and yes it's funky lookin. It allows me to see impacts on higher magnification and removes the recoil.To others it may look strange, but all thats counts in my eyes is, it works very well. Also you will stand out at the range and real men use brake's!!!!!!!

I like the Badger Thruster (and others like it) that can be turned down to match the contour of the barrel perfectly. It is a clean and seamless look if you're like me and don't care for the "howitzer look".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with Ross Schuler here on the Hide (RWS). You can't get a better deal, or brake. </div></div>

Agree 100%, we have 3 of them and can't be beat for quality and price. No holes on bottom, can use a crush washer or rubber O-ring to time and will make it the diameter you need. No need to spend big buck to get good equipment.

Topstrap

I'm a huge fan of the Muscle Brake from Jim See at Centershot Rifles. Tamed my 300RUM to less than a 308! I stay on target with that consistently so shouldn't be a problem with a 260..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">R&D Randy's brake </div></div>

1+ because it works and is low profile sticking with barrel contour.

I have the jp Bennie coolie compensator brake on my .308. Keeps the muzzle on target for follow up shots. Thought it was going to be louder than it was. Used foam earplugs and was not bad. A couple others on the line had .30-06 hunting rifles non braked that where louder.

I put a Badger FTE on my 6.5CM and really like it. It came down between that and APA's brakes but just liked that the FTE doesn't need to be timed and I liked the aesthetics better.

My GAP Hospitaller has the FTE brake. It's effective and adds character to the long, heavy fluted barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with Ross Schuler here on the Hide (RWS). You can't get a better deal, or brake. </div></div>

The RWS is looking the most appealing to me since it does not need to be timed and it is already finished black and has a sufficient OD. The only point of concern is that the smallest opening available is meant for a 7mm bullet. Am I going to lose much efficiency having the 0.5mm oversized exit?

If I go with RWS, the only point of concern is that the smallest opening available is meant for a 7mm bullet. Am I going to lose much efficiency having the 0.5mm oversized exit?

The JP Bennie Coolie do a very good job of reducing recoil and muzzle jump. I put one on an M1A and love it. I have one ordered for a Savage FCP-SR that is being held hostage waiting on background check for 7 days now.

I have a Little Basterd and a Big Basterd on my guns and have a noticeable change in the performance of the rifles.
Cant go wrong with APA.

I have a titanium 3 port angle brake I bought from this web sight for $150 I really like it

elkmeadowperformance.com

Rat Worx Big Chubby. Just put one on my Savage 10 FCP-SR. Shipped same day I ordered it. Couldn't be more pleased with the brake and customer service.