• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes help me pick my scope mounts

Dustin1984

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
Alberta, Canada
My custom Remington 700 .308 is getting a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 in the new year to replace the old bushnell 10x. There are a lot of different options as far as rings and picatinney rails... but now I need to choose. I was thinking about the NF rings because of the level and angle indicator top half ring available. Also suggested to me were Badger rings, and of course Near is always an option. help me wade through and decide guys!

Re: help me pick my scope mounts

I pretty much run Seekins gear on all my rifles now. Used Badger mainly in the past, but just prefer the finish and aesthetics of the Seekins.

I'm in the same boat but I'm really thinking about going with the NF because like you said because of the level and angle indicator top half ring

Pick any of those you mentioned, all good, everyone has their faves

Geez guys, thanks for helping me narrow it down
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pretty much run Seekins gear on all my rifles now. ..... </div></div>

+1. Solid rails & rings...they just plain work.

I have a few rifles with Ken Farrell bases and Leupold MK4 rings.Also have Badger rings and base on another.Also have Nightforce on another.I really can't tell any difference.All of them are strong,all work,all are mostly repeatable when removed and reinstalled,if a torque wrench is used.The Ken Farrell base is thicker than most,enough so,that a lower set of rings may be used.
The truth is,there's not many wrong choices here. Good Luck, Lightman

that actually does help Lightman, I guess when you get to the high end stuff in rifles, like with musical instruments, it's really just a matter of preference.

I used a badger ring and base setup. All from triad tactical. Rock solid construction with good instructions for torque values. I mounted an NF F1 also. The nightforce rings that come with the scope will probably be just fine.

Once you get to a reputable maker of scope rings, the importance is in the guy mounting the scope. There are many guides here to show you how to do it. I recommend using the feeler gauge method.

Seekins on two rifles and will swap the rest over to Seekins within the next couple months.

Shooting over 30 years... Used a lot of different scope rings. Can't say I have ever used anything better than Badger Ordnance rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seekins don't need lapping.</div></div>
Seekins told me the same thing. I have a lapping kit for 1" and 30mm; however, I need a good set of 34mm rings and 34mm lapping bars are rare and expensive, so I was hoping to find a set of rings that possibly did not need lapping. I inquired with Seekins about their claim of "Precisely machined pairs are serialized" and they responded with the following:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100% CNC machined and are in matched serialized pairs. No you do not need to lap them, if you lap them you will actually take them out of spec.</div></div> So there you have it, they claim they are machined together and matched perfectly. However, unless you have a perfectly machined base that has the rings mounted in perfect alignment on the base you still may be off slightly, but is it enough to make a difference? I don't know, I guess we'll find out.

I'm running Nightforce Ultralights on my two rifles with Nightforce scopes. I figure that since I'm putting pretty heavy scopes on the rifles, I should try to mitigate some of that weight with the lighter rings.