• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help me pick out a 1911 *TRP Full Rail FOUND!!!*

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
Hi guys,

I own a whole lot of rifles and pistols, but never a 1911. Well the bug hit me, and it hit me hard! So I need help picking out a good 1911.

From what I can tell, I have my heart set on a Springfield Trophy Match. It has a lot of features and upgrades that Im looking for, and the price seems to be very fair for what you get, $1300 plus fees.

Is this a good choice? or should I be looking at something els?

$1500 with tax and fees is my budget BTW.

Re: Help me pick out a 1911 please!

i know that kimber has gotten a bad rep using the MIM parts but i have a desert warrior that functions flawlessly and is accurate as hell. You cant go wrong with the Springfield Operator or the TRP. The operator full loaded seems right in your price range as well. hope this helps

I have a Springfield TRP and it has run well. I only wish I had gotten one with the rail though.

Cut

Anything wrong with the Trophy Match? Any reason to choose a TRP or Operator over the Trophy Match?

The only thing i can see different between the two is the rear sight the Operator has tritium sites and they arent as adjustable as the TM. The trigger pull is lighter on the TM. The TM has wood grips the Operator has pachmyr wraparound grips. The TRP doenst have a steel slam pad. The Operator has a integral picatinny rail and is coated with Armory Kote. The guide rods are different, the Operator is heavier but shorter in height. THe TM is 1573 msrp and the operator is 1359. I think that the 2 models were designed with different things in mind, the operator being more of a tactical 1911 and the TM being used in comps. just my .02. But like i said dont count out the Kimber Warrior or Desert Warrior

I carry a TRP most of the time, and a Champion some as well. If this is going to be a carry weapon, think about the fixed rear sights with night sights as an option. You wouldn't want to accidentally move the sights while in the holster, if your life depends on it. Otherwise its a good option for everything else. Make yourself a list of all the things you WANT in a pistol and it's primary use; you'll be surprised how quickly you can weed out what really works, and what isn't for you. Good luck.

I think Im starting to lean towards the TRP light rail model. But $1800, ouch!

Why not just get the loaded and add a magazine well? The models you're looking at all have adjustable sights--definitely not something I'd want on a combat pistol and a feature that you may find, as I have, that is TOTALLY USELESS.

The loaded model offers nearly everything you want and doesn't stick you with adjustable sights milled into the slide, and adding a magazine well is cheap and easy and gets you the same feature package that the more expensive TRP has.

Actually, on edit, I just looked at the loaded and it has a naked frontstrap! What a crock, no checkering on the loaded? That kinda sucks.

Still, I think that buying a loaded in the $800 range and having its frontstrap checkered and a mag well added would still leave money leftover for custom trigger work and be cheaper than the TRP.

Food for thought, anyway.

I kinda like the bull barrel on the TRP light rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I kinda like the bull barrel on the TRP light rail. </div></div>

Why? A bull barrel is a totally useless feature. What advantages do you see to a bull barrel?

for the same quality get a champion operator its the commander size w/ night sights ambi saftey and the light rail. and i believe it has a match bull barrel. the extra 1 inch on the frame and barrel isn't doing much for you especially if your carrying it. and you can get in one for about 800 bucks blued. spend all the extra on a couple wilson mags and a case of ammo

I have two sprinfields and wouldnt trade them for anything had a a1 since 96 and just bought a trp think that as long as you stay with a qualty name you will be fine

This is going to be harder than I thought. I just want the best 1911 $1500 can buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is going to be harder than I thought. I just want the best 1911 $1500 can buy. </div></div>

If you're set on spending that much money, get a used RRA. They're about $1800-2000 new and VERY nice, way nicer than any Springfield.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grunt soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the same quality get a champion operator its the commander size w/ night sights ambi saftey and the light rail. and i believe it has a match bull barrel. the extra 1 inch on the frame and barrel isn't doing much for you especially if your carrying it. and you can get in one for about 800 bucks blued. spend all the extra on a couple wilson mags and a case of ammo </div></div>

Champion = 4"

Commander = 4 1/4"

Definitely not the same size.

Springfield has not made a blued gun in a very long time, either.

If someone has adj Bo-Mar style sights and wants to change them out check in with John Harrison - he makes a fixed replacement for Bo-Mar cuts

USMCJ - everyone has an opinion on 1911s. I am a Baer fan. Ask Boltripper, he'll tell you that you are unwashed unless you own an STI and aren't clean until you own an SVI. Others like Springer. My advice - decide on caliber, if it is a range or a carry gun, and then get your hands one some that are hi cut (Baer / STI as an example) or not cut like a Springer. Then go read someone like Hilton Yam on carry guns or over on Enos's forum about range guns. Then get serious about what to get.

Good luck

ETA - (and I have 45k on my TRS) spend as much as you want on a 1911, it will never be as reliable as a Glock 17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ETA - (and I have 45k on my TRS) spend as much as you want on a 1911, it will never be as reliable as a Glock 17. </div></div>

My competition experience certainly doesn't verify this.

Have fun trying to find a TRP operator here in Kalifornia. There was a stoppage in getting them here. I waited almost a year on a wait list as the price went from $1300 to $1550 to $1600 to the final price of $1870 and still didn't have one so I told them to shove it and paid the extra and found a Nighthawk GRP Recon and LOVE it. You should just lurk around on the for sale section. This way you can get a used one that will not have the restrictions of Kalifornia when used. The Warrior only has one model that is Kali legal. The desert Warrior is not Kali legal. Can you tell I have been down the same road as you?

When the TRP is in stock you can get them for $1500 from Impact guns...Try looking around online and forums, I dont know where you live but you can pick a used one for $1000-$1400 ish...I wouldnt pay more than $1000 for one that has rounds through it...the reason I say that is I missed out one for that price a few days ago. Its alright though I have a Kimber on the way. TRP is def a nice one Id get one maybe in a few month haha!

I may be able to pick up a used one for $1300 after transfer fees and such. Seems like a decent deal on a $1800 pistol.

Well this just sucks! I just found out that the TRP light rail model is not Kalifornia approved. The only approved model was the full rail version which is nowhere to be found. Guess I'm back to the Trophy Match.

I bought a TRP about a year ago. The gun doesn't have a light rail and I don't think I would use it anyway. I pay 1180$ out the door + tax. I think if you shop around you can find cheaper. The TRP has run flawlessly over about 600 rounds so far. I carry the gun daily and also shot a practical match with it, when it doesn't land on the same day as the rifle matches I shot. I don't think you could go wrong with the TRP. You may want to see if you can buy one from a gunshop out of state and go thru a FFL in state you may save a hand full. You state
1800$ for it I know 1200$ is want I gave for mine. Thst 600$ savings right there.

Call and see if this place will do out of state trasnfer on one:
http://www.waltercraig.com/

Thanks but the gun has to be on the Kalifornia safe handgun roster or we can't get it. I'll just have the local shop see if he can find one for me. If not then the trophy match will be my choice.

Is it just the rail that keeps it off the safe handgun roster?

So you can't get either verison of the TRP? That sucks!

Give STI a look a lot of people shot them at the matches but they go with the high cap wide body models. They do have single stack models that look real good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sti is a bit out of my price range. </div></div>
Check sti's web site. They have several single stack models under $1500. Including one with a rail for $1299

PC9105LCA
is the Kalifornia model and the only thing that has to be done is a special grip from what was told to me by Springfield when I was not and heavy for one. They can make it and they will make it I am sure since production levels are starting to catch up. The place I was going to get mine I am sure still has theirs. In my opinion just keep checking the for sale section and something will come up unless you have to jump fast.

I don't know if its been suggested or not, but on some boards, (Glocktalk) I've seen Les Baer TRS for around $1.5K...if you don't mind slightly used. Fantastic pistol. Can't go wrong with one.

The Kimber Warrior has been suggested too. They can be bought for around 13 hundred OTD.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlySolo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sti is a bit out of my price range. </div></div>
Check sti's web site. They have several single stack models under $1500. Including one with a rail for $1299 </div></div>

I don't know why I always forget STI, but definitely check them out! They've got a very nice line of pistols and you might find exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks guys. I called a local shop and they have 2 non railed trp's comming in today or tomorrow and a trophy match. I'll handle both and go with whichever feels best in my hands.

I can do without the rail. Not a big deal. If a used full rail model pops up later, I'll just buy that too lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ETA - (and I have 45k on my TRS) spend as much as you want on a 1911, it will never be as reliable as a Glock 17. </div></div>

My competition experience certainly doesn't verify this. </div></div>

Are you saying that with a straight face? Maybe you and I have been to different types of matches but from what I have seen it is a blue moon to see a Glock shit the bed - not so much with a 1911. Like I said I have around 45k on that gun and it is my daily carry - but I have no delusions about what is more reliable with less maintenance over the life of the pistol. Even Glock mags are more reliable than 47d's, Tripp's, Mod'ed Tripp's, CMCs - you name it.

I like 1911s and think they are great. I also see their limitations.

Good luck

Hell yeah thats a bad ass pistol. Congrats on the find

thank you, The guy was really nice, he called me back fast and answered all 1001 questions, and decided to sell to me even though Im behind enemy lines (Kali)

Now I have to go talk to my FFL and hit the post office for a $1425 money order.
grin.gif

Ill post pics when I pick it up, about 2 weeks I would say at the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You want a rail gun. Don't settle. Be patient. </div></div>

BTW, thats for that piece of advice, it feels real nice not to settle for something less. Finding what you really wanted feels so damn good!

Yes it does! Glad you got what you wanted. They are great pistols and will love it. Now you need to go back and find a Surefire X300 for that rail.

As if finding the TRP I wanted wasnt good enough, I just commited to buying a used Trophy Match for $800!!!! comes with everything it originaly came with and 3 extra 10 round springfield mags. I dont want to jinx myself, but maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket or something
grin.gif

That's a great look pistol you found!! You will fall in love with it. My TRP has not left my side since I bought it. I have run Kimber,Chip McCormick, and Wilson mag's with no problems in it and also the springfield 7 rounders it can with, all other are ten round mags. That full rail sure makes it stand out from the rest.

The lotto ticket my be a good idea. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You want a rail gun. Don't settle. Be patient. </div></div>

BTW, thats for that piece of advice, it feels real nice not to settle for something less. Finding what you really wanted feels so damn good! </div></div>

For sure. No reason to settle. I've been looking for a couple of guns, just kept waiting, there were lots of them that were "close" but not quite what I wanted. No reason to rush into something.

I've been looking for a TRP full rail myself, so I know you'll love yours.

This thread makes me want another 1911.

Nice set Downzero!

I just got back from the gun store, completed the paperwork on the Trophy Match. Ill be picking it up in 10 days (stupid Kalifornia 10 day hold)