• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help me plan my 6.5 creedmoor build

Dubs Chops

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
OK gang, Here is the requirements I have set for for myself.

Reliable
accurate
semi lightweight

THat is also the order of importance to me. THis gun will be used to hunt with so that is where the semi light comes into play.

So far I have
Mega MaTen matched extended rifle set
black hole armory 1/8 22" double fluted medium profile barrel threaded 5/8 X 24

I am looking at stocks right now. I would like something I can adjust cheek weld on and LOP, does that leave me with only the PRS? I know it is on the heavy side from what I hear

Also looking at CMC triggers. The only 2 stage I have ever tried is the RRA 2 stage and wasnt impressed. Would the tactical 3.5# cmc be best for prescision or would something like the 2-3 cmc 2 stage be better? I don't want to rule out the cmc 2 stage just because I didn't like the rra

the Gas block I am looking at is the syrac gen 2 adjustable gas block

would a JP low mass carrier be a good option or will it affect the reliability? I only ask due to trying to cut weight where I can.

glass I am considering is either a bushnell DMR or ERS or maybe even a vortex viper pst ffp

Anything else I should be putting more consideration into?

I would look at the Geissele Hi-Speed Match Trigger and SLR Rifleworks Adj Gas Blocks.

Couple thoughts

Syrac and SLR both make awesome adjustable gas blocks. If you are trying to shave price you could also go Wilson if you aren't suppressing it. Other it's unlikely you will need to change it on the fly.

Also while JP low mad carrier does save some weight the overall effect is marginal as far as weight goes. The low mass system is more about recoil reduction than weight savings.

Stocks- the only other option I found was the Battleline industries SAPR, Rainier arms was having a sale on them, a while back otherwise they add a bit of cost to the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd look at a higher end barrel if you want good accuracy from an auto loader, that can be difficult even with a nice barrel so I wouldn't handicap yourself early. Krieger, Bartlein, etc.

I'd look at a higher end barrel if you want good accuracy from an auto loader, that can be difficult even with a nice barrel so I wouldn't handicap yourself early. Krieger, Bartlein, etc.

I Have read nothing bad about black Hole barrels, And have talked with Jason on the phone a lot. I have confidence If I do my part the BH barrel will shoot.

I have a cmc trigger with the straight bow on mine and I like it a bunch. It has a little creep that you push through, then it locks up pretty hard. About one more pound and a half and it breaks pretty cleanly. Wasn't sure if I'd like it as it was my first two stage, but I only fired it a few shots and that's all it took. I'm hooked on them. Also the simplicity of the install is hard to beat. Punch your pins, pour out your old stuff, slide this unit in, replace the pins and go shoot.

Would you recommend the 2 stage of the single stage tactical unit that is supposed to be a straigh 3.5#

What is your height/weight and reach? With a large frame AR10 receiver set, shooting from realistic field positions becomes more difficult, especially with a 22" barrel.

No matter what people are looking for in a long gun, I try to place as much emphasis on fitting the gun to your physical frame as possible. Get the balance as close to your center as possible, so that the rifle handles like it was meant for you.

I personally would build off a DPMS GII receiver set and BCG/barrel extension if I was hard set on 6.5 CM, since the GII feels like an AR15.

I already have a 22" .260 Rem AR10, but it's a heavy target gun set up at over 14lbs with optics and bipod. It's a laser, but not ideal by any means for a hunter.

The biggest thing that will help you out with balance is using a good carbon fiber handguard. There are some new rifle stocks with adjustable cheeks and butts that are much lighter than the PRS, for less money. Luth-AR has one, and I recently saw another addition to the market but do not recall the name of it.

What specific hunting requirements are you looking at? Game size, distance, and type of terrain/region of the country would help really steer you better.

What is your height/weight and reach? With a large frame AR10 receiver set, shooting from realistic field positions becomes more difficult, especially with a 22" barrel.

No matter what people are looking for in a long gun, I try to place as much emphasis on fitting the gun to your physical frame as possible. Get the balance as close to your center as possible, so that the rifle handles like it was meant for you.

I personally would build off a DPMS GII receiver set and BCG/barrel extension if I was hard set on 6.5 CM, since the GII feels like an AR15.

I already have a 22" .260 Rem AR10, but it's a heavy target gun set up at over 14lbs with optics and bipod. It's a laser, but not ideal by any means for a hunter.

The biggest thing that will help you out with balance is using a good carbon fiber handguard. There are some new rifle stocks with adjustable cheeks and butts that are much lighter than the PRS, for less money. Luth-AR has one, and I recently saw another addition to the market but do not recall the name of it.

What specific hunting requirements are you looking at? Game size, distance, and type of terrain/region of the country would help really steer you better.

THanks, But I already ordered the Mega Maten extended rifle length upper. It feels surprisingly light to me. I am 6' 190# with a 29-30 Draw on a bow if that tells you anything lol. I will be hunting from a fixed position most times and very seldom if ever shooting offhand. Usually from a blind in western OK or maybe out of the back of a ranger using the roof as a rest for the gun for long shots out in NM. Other than that I will be shooting from a bench for fun. Game size will be Mule deer and down. Although I have seen many successful elk hunts with the CM I will probably take my .338 LM for that.