• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me plan my drive down I-40 to CA from PA

doctordoctor

El Doctor
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Erie,pa
SO I am done with The NE and will be moving back to Kalifornia. I think this time we will be taking the I-40 back home.

What are the gun stores that I need to visit? I don't want to veer to far off route, but we would like to pick up some supplies on our way home like Primers and Powder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! It's going to be a long drive so something to look forward to each day will help make it less painful

I suggest you either drop anchor and freeze before you get anywhere close to Chicagoland, or make a careful u-turn towards the immediate southeast. Barring that, fair winds and following seas.

Dude, its like you are standing on the window ledge, I for one feel a moral duty to speak up and yell "Dont Jump". Kali aint like it used to be. Come south or hit another western state.

My family is all there and I miss it. My first love is surfing. I have property in Utah so I can escape there when needed. I figured it is easier to start out in Kali and then leave versus the opposite. I work in the ER and I was lucky to get the job that I did. We all talk about leaving but the darn weather is hard to beat. I've lived in plenty other places and my heart is always there. Maybe it will change... but for now...I am coming home.

Understand, I lived there once, its an absolutely beautiful state, I go back and ride the PCH every couple years on my Harley, visit my old stomping grounds in Monterey, I just cant live there again and that my friend is sad. Same go's for my home state of Jersey, cant ever go back there to live again either for basically the same reasons. Utah is another paradise that I could live in today.

I would stay off 40, too many dam trucks. You should consider making an adventure out of it and run Old Rt 66, you meet real America on that road, discover what good people we have in the country.

I suppose that you needed to get a hook-up somewhere. I take it that you'll have attending status? Your family is there, yes, but without seeming hypercritical, note that human beings succumb to frailty everywhere, unfortunately without the good pipes and curls you miss. Did you ever think that stocking up on supplies might simply be securing seizure fodder when Cali finally implodes?

Third generations brick & mortar store is about a mile off of I-40 in El Reno, Ok. They have a lot of stuff that is in the store that is not always reflected on their site. Not open on weekends. Might be worth an hour of your time.

Same go's for my home state of Jersey, cant ever go back there to live again either for basically the same reasons.

The Northeast is like hopscotch with landmines, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm not sure where you are going to pick up I-40, but it looks like you will be taking I-81 southerly until you get to 40 somewhere east of Nashville.
I worked ER's and frankly if you are an ER type, you will have no trouble finding an ER job in any city or larger town. It just isn't that hard.
I have family in LA area, and some in SF area, but I wouldn't live in that sate if you paid me double. In fact when I was working, I got double salary to move to Texas.
Before you buy, take the time to really look around yourself in California. It sucked 20 years ago, and it sucks far worse now.
Take a look at San Angelo, TX and Midland as well.If you are partial to the coast, look at Rockport or Corpus Christi, TX.
Good luck and safe travel.

Good for you man, bring your PA 2nd amendment loving ass out to CA and stand fast to all the BS the liberal fucktards are going to give you. Hoping you have the best of times! Seriously more people need to go into the fray and fight. I have lots of family in Cali. And they are fighting for 2A as well, enjoy your journey!

Thanks guys. I grew up in San Clemente. We are the majority in Orange County. With Camp Pendleton as literally our backyard we are for the most part very pro military and very pro gun. It is the libiots that are trying to ruin the state and have done a good job at it. I will fight the good fight. I drove the 80 on the way out there so I figured why not drive the 40 home? Is it not worth taking the 40? I will be in a big penske truck so thought I would try to avoid some hills by taking the 40 and also allow me to see parts of the country that are still free and uphold America's values.

I know I 40 very well from Alb. New Mexico to Kali. Not too many Gunshops. Kingman might be worth a stop over it has a couple of shops for supplies, but it is hit and miss as is everything right now. Albuquerque to Kingman is doable in a day. You will be going through Flagstaff, which is also worth a stop. While all of this is right off old Route 66, most of Route 66 is paved or or simply gone. There are a few stretches left, outside of Gallup N.Mex and Flagstaff, Az and Kingman, Az., but not too much in miles. Albuquerque has a really cool crossroads of highways in old downtown and cruise night on Fridays/Sat is kind of interesting.

Flagstaff is beautiful and a little college town in the pines. Pretty good eats and a fun old town area. Williams has the railroad to the Grand Canyon. Although there is distance shooting in Ashfork, I don't know of any retail shops for firearms there. Ashfork is small. Prescott which is south of Ashfork has Gunsite between thema bout 55 miles south, if that is a stop you would be interested in making. Gunsite is in Paulden.

I used to make that drive every couple months and know those routes well. I would recommend Avoiding 40 as much as possible. Big trucks, mountains, tons of cops, and if you get stopped they often falsify K9 alerts just because they can, then tear your vehicle apart and dont even say Im sorry. At Knoxville, head south toward Chattanooga and Birmingham, then at Meridian Miss. pick up I-20 to Dallas then I-10. Its a much prettier drive, less mountains, less trucks and less traffic in general. Have a safe trip.

H&H Gunrange is right on I40 in Oklahoma City. They aren't the cheapest place in okc to get things, but it would be a nice stop for lunch time, as they have retail shop, an indoor range, and a cafe/resturant all in the gunstore. And as other Okies have said 3rd generation shooting supplies is right off of I 40 in El Reno. Great place with lots of goodies. Safe travels.

If you decide to use I-40 and are driving a large Penske truck as you described earlier, don't be surprised if you get stopped by the West Tennessee Drug Task Force between mile markers 22 and 30 in Shelby County TN...especially if the truck has Texas or California plates. They will be sitting in the median in solid black or white Tahoes and are hard to miss.

A little more on topic, the Outpost Armory in Christiana TN would be a little bit of a detour off of your route but it's a great place to stop. Typically have lots of loaded ammo, reloading supplies, guns and accessories (magazines/holsters/etc) for very reasonable prices in my experiences there. The shop is owned by Ronnie Barrett, if I am not mistaken.

If you decide to use I-40 and are driving a large Penske truck as you described earlier, don't be surprised if you get stopped by the West Tennessee Drug Task Force between mile markers 22 and 30 in Shelby County TN...especially if the truck has Texas or California plates. They will be sitting in the median in solid black or white Tahoes and are hard to miss.

A little more on topic, the Outpost Armory in Christiana TN would be a little bit of a detour off of your route but it's a great place to stop. Typically have lots of loaded ammo, reloading supplies, guns and accessories (magazines/holsters/etc) for very reasonable prices in my experiences there. The shop is owned by Ronnie Barrett, if I am not mistaken.

As I was saying....They are always there. sometimes Homeland Security as well. We now live in a police state.

Theres another right around Lonoke Arkansas, just east of Little Rock, then from there west its just one after the other. They think that because they represent the law, they are above the law, and just do what ever they want. Thats why I suggested the other route...through it does go through Deming NM, where the cops anally raped the guy, several times.

As I was saying....They are always there. sometimes Homeland Security as well. We now live in a police state.

Theres another right around Lonoke Arkansas, just east of Little Rock, then from there west its just one after the other. They think that because they represent the law, they are above the law, and just do what ever they want. Thats why I suggested the other route...through it does go through Deming NM, where the cops anally raped the guy, several times.

What the hell is going on down south?? And people ask why we live in Alaska, damn it man.

You beat me to it. I was going to say "lock the doors and hammer down through Memphis" but you can almost always could on the drug task force to be out from exits 25 to 20.

When you hit Albuquerque make sure MAKE SURE you stop at Dions (Pizza/salad/etc.) It's one of the only things I miss (and I miss Dions a lot) about ABQ. If that doesn't sound good try a Lottaburger another ABQ staple. Albuquerque has some of the best food I've ever encountered, the city fucking sucks and I mean SUCKS! but the food is awesome.

P.S. DO NOT stop in Grants (AZ/NM boarder town). It's the only place worse than ABQ and it's worse by a shit ton!

So It sounds like the 40 sucks more than I thought it would. Should I just head back home on the 80?

I take I-40, 4 times a month I enjoy the drive. Sorry I am one of those "damn trucks" you all seem to hate. Coming from the northeast you would be better served taking 80 into Ohio than I-76 to I-71,I-70 into St Louis go around St Louis I-270 to I-255 to I-44 all the way to OK city than hit I-40. If you run down 81 to 40 you're adding miles and fuel cost's.

40 has a few more hills than 80. The problem with 80 is that it is a gradual climb from Omaha all the way to the top of Sherman pass. ( between Cheyenne and Laramie) The weather in Wyoming is unpredictable. Especially west of Laramie all the way past Elk mountain. I don't know when you intend to travel, but I've seen snow in Wyoming in june. Also the trip down I-15, I swear this is were the old adage "I walked uphill both ways to and from school" came about. Because it's a constant climb all the way to Vegas.

If you want the flattest ride go down to I-10. I just dislike 10 due to the amount of populated areas you drive through. I usually go around Phoenix. I-10 to I-8 to US 85 out of Gila Bend AZ. It adds all of about 8 miles to the 391 miles of I-10 through Arizona.

I can't tell you not to move back to Cali. Personally I love it out there myself. But I can tell you how to get there and where to park your Penske truck. As I drive 100k-120k miles a year. Running from Long Beach to the east coast twice a month for the better part of the last 7 years.

Good luck in you endeavors.

Sorry I am one of those "damn trucks" you all seem to hate.

I'd MUCH rather drive with a bunch of 18 wheelers than cars. At least you guys are paying attention and know what the fuck is going on. You guys get big time respect on and off the road from me! I've had some good times rolling with big trucks on long drives.

when traveling to California one must take 1-70 through the rockies, make a hard left turn and drive off a cliff and kill theyself

when traveling to California one must take 1-70 through the rockies, make a hard left turn and drive off a cliff and kill theyself

You have to understand that the movie was a real watershed moment in VJJ's life ...

mgeu5K.gif

I'd MUCH rather drive with a bunch of 18 wheelers than cars. At least you guys are paying attention and know what the fuck is going on. You guys get big time respect on and off the road from me! I've had some good times rolling with big trucks on long drives.
As another "Professional Highway Engineer Specializing in the Safe Transport of OverWeight/Overdimensional Loads," I appreciate your compliment.
However, I am deeply concerned with the "new Breed" of drivers. Many of them drive like Nascar Drivers, only they aren't smart enough to realize that their vehicle is larger, heavier, and much more dangerous, especially as the highways weren't built like a race track.

Enough of the rant.

However you choose to go, OP, try to take time to see some if the sights along the way. This is a beautiful country, and no matter the route, you will see landscapes that will take your breath away.

Cheers,
Tim
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed