• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me price a pre ban M1A

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    So I am thinking about maybe selling an M1A but I really don’t know what to ask for it. It is a 1985 Springfield Armory 5 line pre ban. All GI parts except for receiver and stock, and the stock is a factory correct and original Boyd’s. It is a standard model.

I have the original SA green box that says “America’s Leader in Paramilitary Firearms” which I think is pretty cool. I also have 14 GI mags of which about half are new.

The rifle has had probably less than 100 rounds fired through it.

So what is a package like this worth in this day and age?

They seem to be selling pretty high on gunbroker, so I’d search their “completed auction” listings for data. Over $2k for even a standard, and all those mags add much value too.

When you say 5 line do you mean a 5 digit serial number? Anything below serial number roughly 50,000 are all considered the pre-bans. Those are the forged Valley ordinance receiver's, probably the best Springfield ever sold. Ironically the contract with Valley ordinance ran out at almost the same time the Clinton gun ban come into effect in 94. The two events are not really related but just happen to coincide at the serial number just over 50K. After that they went to a cast receiver, and the stash of GI parts were starting to deplete. The G.I parts can have a impact on the price, a TRW barrel, bolt and trigger groups command a premium over say H&R. Without seeing it, a price would be tough. I have found a couple with a mix of all G.I. parts in the past for 1800 to 2000. I bought one with all matching Winchester parts, never fired on a preban Springfield receiver and got it for 2500, about 6 or 8 years ago. The M14 market seems to have cooled off in the past couple years, but with the political atmosphere we have now everything seems to be selling for a premium.

If standard models are going for around $2k, I wonder what my Glen Nelson built Supermatch is worth. All USGI except the barrel and rear lugged receiver. If I remember correctly it was built 2/95.

Nelson Supermatch is 2500/3500 currently. Your rifle is probably a $1500 bill and every 2 mags are $100. If you had a few hundred rounds to include, you could probably walk away with $2500.

I'm in the same situation here, I have a never fired National Match, #237XXX with a stainless barrel and green polymer stock. I can't find much of anything about a model with this color stock. I see some in FDE online but this really looks green to me.
    I just pulled it out today and was thinking it needed to turn into glass.

Any value info much appreciated guys, I think someone will buy local and someone is probably gonna get a deal.

Nelson Supermatch is 2500/3500 currently. Your rifle is probably a $1500 bill and every 2 mags are $100. If you had a few hundred rounds to include, you could probably walk away with $2500.

Have you checked prices recently? A modern production Springfield M1A is going for 2 K today.

What people are asking and what is actually selling are 2 different things. The M1A's that are selling are socoms and scout squad rifles. Zero fucks are given about pre-ban m1a's with gi parts. People want short M1A rifles for cqb setups.

If standard models are going for around $2k, I wonder what my Glen Nelson built Supermatch is worth. All USGI except the barrel and rear lugged receiver. If I remember correctly it was built 2/95.

I'll start the bidding at $10.01

My son picked up a brand new standard model for 1400. I just picked up a national match with original Springfield scope and mount with sling and case. Plus 800 loaded ammo and brass for 2000. He said I was the only offer.

The entire M1A market is really soft compared to what it was just 4 or 5 years ago. The new generation doesn't know what they are, and doesn't' really care about G.I. parts or collectability. The guys that do care are getting old and not buying like they used to.

Ironically I sold a mint condition Gen 1 SOCOM 16 recently. I had it on consignment at my local LGS since about November 1, listed for 1600. It sat there with no offers for months. I listed it on armslist, G of A, and never got one legit offer. It finally sold in February. I personally don't like the SOCOM but love a standard M1A. I only got rid of the SOCOM because I never shot it and wanted the space in the safe for something I would use.

A 5-line SAI means the number of lines engraved into the receiver heal (these were the first built). "7.62 mm MIA" was the second line engraved on the heal originally (and USGI). Eliminating one of the engraved lines saved money. Much later SAI chambered the M1a in 6.5 Creed., so it worked out.

Your rifle is probably worth $2k or more.
    USGI mags go for $35 and up depending on manufacturer and condition.

If they are going to be shot much the owners will start caring about USGI parts in fairly short order.