• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me put together a 223 please! Would like to stay under $1000

MouthMechanic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 27, 2020
Memphis, TN
I've been trying to find a .223 Rem that will have a heavy barrel and be about 20-24" and threaded. Currently shoot a Ruger Ranch in 16.5 threaded but it heats up fairly fast compared to people around me shooting heavier barrels. I was going to order in a Rem 700 ADL Tactical in 24" with threaded and heavier barrel and put it in a KRG Bravo Chassis. Savage has the Axis 2 Precision coming out with the MDT/Oryx Chassis but I like the KRG style better as I shoot a Bergara 6.5 CM HMR and love the stock. The Axis 2 has a 1:7 twist which I hear is awesome with heavier gr which I would like to shoot this gun 600-1000 yards.

So what 223 would you guys get that are a 1:7 twist or so and has a heavy threaded barrel? I would like to stay under $1000 or I would just order a Premier 223 from Bergara if funds were right. If I use the ADL to drop in a KRG Bravo will it come with the bottom metal? And what mags would I need for it?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
I would order a prefit barrel, action, trigger, gauges, tools, etc. from NSS and drop it in the chassis of your choice before I would buy a rifle that I know I would just tear down. You run a much higher risk of getting a lemon with factory barrels. You could probably watch for a Bergara stock as a take off on ebay or forum like SH.

Most chassis do not require bottom metal, it is machined in.

I would not get the Savage Axis, though they can shoot.

Reactions: bunsen27
Buying a 223 off the shelf to do what you want to do with it is unrealistic. I know from experience. The biggest limiting factor is gonna be the factory chamber not having enough freebore to load the heavies out far enough to give you the room for more powder.

Reactions: RTH1800
If you can find a win70 Heavy Varmint, it is going to be a hell of a rifle. Only plot twist is, you have to be open minded about its 9 twist. Mine has shot absolutely all kinds of factory ammo sub-moa. That includes cheap steel cased ammo and heavy 77 grain bullets too.

If not, check out if HOWA has any barelled actions.

The other option I would consider, Tikka T3 Varmint, thought it is an 8 twist and not a 7.

Reactions: Boltyboi
I would order a prefit barrel, action, trigger, gauges, tools, etc. from NSS and drop it in the chassis of your choice before I would buy a rifle that I know I would just tear down. You run a much higher risk of getting a lemon with factory barrels. You could probably watch for a Bergara stock as a take off on ebay or forum like SH.

Most chassis do not require bottom metal, it is machined in.

I would not get the Savage Axis, though they can shoot.

@MouthMechanic This 10x!! I went this route in 2018 and do NOT regret it, or the $1400 I spent for it!

Mag wise you want the MDT polymer mags for maximum OAL at 2.550in

Check out the for sale here. You'll get more rifle for your dollar that way.

There was a ltr recently in the px. Don’t know if it’s still there. I have the 308 version and it’s a good shooter.

Here are the pics of my build and what it has done. It is a Rem RR trued action, a kreiger 1:8 Barrel, X-mark trigger, and Leupold Mk4 Glass, bedded in a McMillan Carbon A5 Stock. The Shot Marker image is at 600 yds shooting 80 SMK, with a sling as support, the Ballistic-X pic is at 200yds on a bench with 80 SMK and 75 VLDs. The tightest group is at 50 yds using 77gr black hills during sighting in. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how wildly 223 can be out of a custom rifle.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9a8.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9de.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ee.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ea.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9b9.jpg

Unorthodox route: if you have an AR, get a Uintah precision upper for it.

Sub MOA guarantee with factory match ammo.

Buy the Savage Axis II Precision.

Or the Stag 15 Varminter. If you already have an AR, the Upper. If you AR has the collapsible stock, this setup.

I can't speak from experience about the Axis Precision, but I have a standard Axis II 30-06 with a Boyd's stock, and it's a sweet deer rifle.

The Super Varminter has been in my collection for over a decade, I have a pair of them. The more recent version, the Stag 15 Varminter, is essentially the same rifle with a different (Magpul) fixed stock. They are both very accurate, smooth, and reliable. You shoot one, you'll want one.

The first one was mine and is now my Granddaughter's, and I built the second one from the factory kit. They are as accurate, or moreso, than my bolt guns.

Further discussion on the Stags.

Greg

Last edited:
picked up a Ruger precision Rifle in .223 with 4 10 round mags for $950.

Can't really get there from here for that price.
You can compromise and get a howa mini chassis with an 8 twist. That will stabilize most 75 and 77 grain bullets.
If you can find a used RPR, they came with a 7 twist. Ruger no longer catalogs a 223 rpr.

Can't really get there from here for that price.
You can compromise and get a howa mini chassis with an 8 twist. That will stabilize most 75 and 77 grain bullets.
If you can find a used RPR, they came with a 7 twist. Ruger no longer catalogs a 223 rpr.

Exactly why I bought the Ruger, 7 twist instead of 8. Wanted to try 80 - 90 grain bullets.
Only thing is they only came in 20"barrel length would have liked 24" for more speed. The stocks adjustable too, barrel threaded.
Watch on gun broker for one or the other gun selling sights.