• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Help me spend money on NODs (or not)

How should I spend my money?

• Get a high spec PVS-14 for dual band!

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Get another MH25 for stereo thermal!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a new upper, suppressor, and spend what's left on ammo!

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey guys,
    Wanting a new shiny and am torn. How would you spend my monies? Already have the helmet and an MH25 and have an RH25 for the rifle. What next?
    Yes, hookers and blow are an option but not in the poll! Cause that is always a good option!

So many questions, and short of answers, anything would be a shot in the dark at an unknown target. I can do that... or:
    1. What are you doing with thermal now?
    2. Is there a current unmet need?
    3. Is there a need for movement in the dark (which is really the only reason to pick traditional over thermal, in my opinion.)
    4. What is your budget?

Start there, but "more training" is often on my short list of ways to up your game.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    So many questions, and short of answers, anything would be a shot in the dark at an unknown target. I can do that... or:
    1. What are you doing with thermal now?
    2. Is there a current unmet need?
    3. Is there a need for movement in the dark (which is really the only reason to pick traditional over thermal, in my opinion.)
    4. What is your budget?

Start there, but "more training" is often on my short list of ways to up your game.
    Good qestions!
    1) Hunting. Mostly garden bandits but yotes and hogs in the future.
    2) I don't know but some of the stuff I move thru seems tough to navigate with thermal.
    3) Yes and unseen barbed wire sucks!
    4) $5200.00

Cool, that helps.

My general setup is NODs for movement (dual 14s on a helmet) with a weapon-mounted thermal that also has an IR laser, for quick shots without transition to thermal - since thermal takes a few seconds to spin up, and laser is almost instant.

Assuming you have a certain measure of proficiency with your weapon, dual 14s is an awesome setup for movement. I've tried thermal/NV and my brain hurt - so I don't do that any more. Movement with NOD, transition to thermal for fixed-position shooting. I know some like dual thermal for movement, I do not.

Milage varies, but that is what works for me.

I've had great success with TNVC and with nightgoggles.com.

If going dual 14s, don't save money by getting a cheap mount - huge mistake. J-arms belong in a museum, next to a shitty M9 and a shelter half.

Good info gentlemen! So I an going to grab the PVS-14 (and the upper and suppressor will come at Christmas!) and am going with a L3 filmless WP tube. The place I am dealing with has 2 units built and ready to go. Specs...
    72 Resolution, 35.7 SNR, 2570 FOM, 1.2 EBI, 0.7 Halo, 63670 gain. No spots on data sheet but I see a little peppering.
    or...
    72 Resolution, 35.0 SNR, 2520 FOM, 0.4 EBI, 0.7 Halo, 63099 gain. No spots on data sheet. Has a less peppering but to my eye it seems more consistent are far as screen brightness goes.
    I know there is a balance and SNR trumps all but is a .7 SNR increase worth the greater EBI ? Not sure how SNR works but I am guessing I wouldn't notice the difference. 🤷‍♂️ I already have blems in my factory installed analogue units aka floaters in my eyeballs. :LOL:

Last edited:
    I second @Rerun7 . Get the tube with lower EBI. You won’t be able to tell the difference in FOM between the two, but you likely WILL be able to see a difference in the EBI.

I’m not super knowledgeable about this stuff, but halo is usually what I consider second after FOM. If two FOM’s are similar, then I look at halo, then EBI. Just my $.02

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Thank you again Gents! Ordering tomorrow!

I agree with the above for sure. I went 2 lower on SNR to get a 0.4EBI and 0.7 Halo. Plus, tubes are individual. Specs don’t mean anything if it doesn’t look as good.

Even if you don’t like the dual with thermal/NV you still have a good 14 that you can use solo, bridge to another 14, or get something like a COTI for spotting and switch to rifle thermal or use laser to confirm.

Well it has landed and I am impressed! Only played with it in a very dark room with the day cap on but DAMN! I can only imagine what the whole lens being uncovered will offer. Thank you again for the advice and the push guys. I am not disappointed!

Reactions: Rerun7