• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me understand what a data book will do for me?

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
I ordered an impact data book. And inside are a number of pages with different targets and formulas and other stuff, etc. What I want to know is what do I do with the information I gather? How do I use it to make me a better shooter? What does the information actual mean? This may sound kind of trivial, but I want to get the most out of this book, please help me.

Reactions: Rmas308
It’s a great question, and I apologise I don’t have much time to answer. Ian sure others with more experience will. For me it contains everything in one place, load development, round count,actual dope v try dope for elevation and wind. This is the stuff you can quantify. I also include what objectives, what working on eg physical and mental, track changes with new equipment or something I tried. His is the qualitative stuff, review and learn, plan. A quick search of the internet will reveal the data stuff, good resources on SH as well, the other stuff is based on lanny bashams work. I hope this helps

I’ll give you a very basic idea: It allows you to keep track of how your bullet reacts to a set of variables. The sum of these variables being POI. Recording these “equations” allows you to build a data base from which you can work off of to better understand where your POI will be when you experience these variables, or similar ones, in the future.

Now I’ll move aside and let the experts take over.

I'll just add that it can also be a place to record correct wind calls for different ranges/locations/matches. Oh, and cold bore shot POI can be recorded as well, and often to a lesser degree second shot POI.

If you record each shot as you make it the very first thing it will do is slow you down. This should have the effect of allowing you to focus on each aspect of building your position to getting your NPA set and pulling the trigger. As you record the shot, do not let it become a rote procedure, focus your attention on how you made the shot. If the shot was not what you wanted, where did it go wrong.

I’ll give you a very basic idea: It allows you to keep track of how your bullet reacts to a set of variables. The sum of these variables being POI. Recording these “equations” allows you to build a data base from which you can work off of to better understand where your POI will be when you experience these variables, or similar ones, in the future.

Now I’ll move aside and let the experts take over.

Are you running a Data Book for each gun you have?

It’s a great question, and I apologise I don’t have much time to answer. Ian sure others with more experience will. For me it contains everything in one place, load development, round count,actual dope v try dope for elevation and wind. This is the stuff you can quantify. I also include what objectives, what working on eg physical and mental, track changes with new equipment or something I tried. His is the qualitative stuff, review and learn, plan. A quick search of the internet will reveal the data stuff, good resources on SH as well, the other stuff is based on lanny bashams work. I hope this helps

What you say makes sense. What it makes it difficult for me is that when I shoot, how do I know what I'm doing is not an error on my part, as a shooter, versus what the bullet is doing? Then taking this information and saying, 'Ok I missed 1 mil low and now I see what my error is.' Or is it 'I continually have such and such error, but its the shooters problem.' I'm not sure if that makes sense

Are there any legit YouTube videos that would help get a better understanding or maybe a system to emulate?

I'm super new to this as well but for me it's a place to have all of my rifle's data in one place. What I shot through it, how many rounds, when it was cleaned, what changes were made if any, and then of course the dope which I refer to later as well. It's kind of like a gun diary, awwww.

First it will NOT do a lot for you at 100 yards.. A data book as you know is for documenting your D.O.P.E. By very definition DOPE is; Data On Pervious Engagements (not just the bullet come-ups). So in other words, it is a historical log that "was" instrumental pre- solvers in predicting were your rounds might land in the future when you encountered the same distances, AOF, conditions and winds. Today, it is used much in the same way for documenting, but more for confirming and tuning your solver with your own personal offsets.

Forget the Data book for a minute.. toss it out.

Now grab a college lined note book and pen.
Write down you load data and firearm information (all of it)
Write down all the environmental details. Wind wind wind too..
Write down you target locations
Write down you solvers prediction
Write down your your actual centered POI settings..

You can then see a picture over time that might not agree with your solver and have the historical to fix the issues... Maybe the velocity is wrong, BC, ranging of your targets or just the solver.. without the actual data, you have no way of fixing it. Learning the wind is made much easier when you go back and look at what you thought it was, but compare it to what the bullet actually did.

This will also allow you to see if something is going south, learn etc.. does this make sense on the most basic level? If it does, now go back and engage your data book. Some of the pages may not be necessary for you.. but don't sweat that part. Get ALL the important stuff documented.

I run my Data book that has a "Call column" (or solver column) and an "Actual column". It quickly shows discrepancy in my wind ability or the calculators drop. The image below is very old just what was on my flicker account.

Last edited:
Are there any legit YouTube videos that would help get a better understanding or maybe a system to emulate?
On the impact data book website there is a video of him getting started with shooting, shot call, and plotting them. Can't remember exactly where it's located but maybe at bottom of the premade book page or under the choices on the left towards the bottom of the column.
Edit.
Found it on left side under reference info and instructions

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Again I am no expert, but my 2 cents worth on a couple of things so far:
Yeah I definitely have a data book for each rifle that I use at long range
I whole heartedly agree with diver with regards to recording data and used it to true and test (so as to gain confidence) in my ballistics app. Coldbore 1.0 on a cheap 2nd hand windows phone if you are interested.

Bare in mind that I am A competitor in a field style of long range shooting so your mileage may differ. In addition to what diver does (I record almost the exact same however I just write it on ruled rite in the rain page) as I add in a narrative. that I use to help me better understand, for example the wind. I shot this past weekend and recorded the weather forecast for the wind direction and speed (max and min) and used the same forecast to plug in environmentals into my ballistics app. I recorded predicted DOPE for elevation and wind as a reference. There was a potential swing of .5mil left to 2.4mil right. This helps me think about dial or hold and gets my head in the game ahead of time. On the day I take Franks advice and do a full 2 min observation and record data and wind. And at this stage I am thinking about any correlation between predicted wind and observed. I look at the environment an look to see what the wind is doing to a tree (I am lucky that there is a tree that is common through the areas I shout and I am learning to calibrate my wind call to its behaviour) and record this. I note if equipment worked, how I could use it better and a critique of what I can do better (eg noticed I was holding my breath, did I loss concentration later in the day because I forgot to eat etc). By reviewing this data I can track progress. I hope that all makes sense.

Tag heuer- your question is legitimate but the data book is just your performance diary. Same as a logbook you would use at the gym. Unless you have had instruction in how to bench how do you know how it should feel when done properly. I suggest you get the online training stuff on the hide. I constantly am reviewing it. Get some instruction and dry fire, and yes I keep a seperate log of my dry fire and cross reference performance with my data book.

Hope tha helps more than it confuses

Again I am no expert, but my 2 cents worth on a couple of things so far:
Yeah I definitely have a data book for each rifle that I use at long range
I whole heartedly agree with diver with regards to recording data and used it to true and test (so as to gain confidence) in my ballistics app. Coldbore 1.0 on a cheap 2nd hand windows phone if you are interested.

Bare in mind that I am A competitor in a field style of long range shooting so your mileage may differ. In addition to what diver does (I record almost the exact same however I just write it on ruled rite in the rain page) as I add in a narrative. that I use to help me better understand, for example the wind. I shot this past weekend and recorded the weather forecast for the wind direction and speed (max and min) and used the same forecast to plug in environmentals into my ballistics app. I recorded predicted DOPE for elevation and wind as a reference. There was a potential swing of .5mil left to 2.4mil right. This helps me think about dial or hold and gets my head in the game ahead of time. On the day I take Franks advice and do a full 2 min observation and record data and wind. And at this stage I am thinking about any correlation between predicted wind and observed. I look at the environment an look to see what the wind is doing to a tree (I am lucky that there is a tree that is common through the areas I shout and I am learning to calibrate my wind call to its behaviour) and record this. I note if equipment worked, how I could use it better and a critique of what I can do better (eg noticed I was holding my breath, did I loss concentration later in the day because I forgot to eat etc). By reviewing this data I can track progress. I hope that all makes sense.

Tag heuer- your question is legitimate but the data book is just your performance diary. Same as a logbook you would use at the gym. Unless you have had instruction in how to bench how do you know how it should feel when done properly. I suggest you get the online training stuff on the hide. I constantly am reviewing it. Get some instruction and dry fire, and yes I keep a seperate log of my dry fire and cross reference performance with my data book.

Hope tha helps more than it confuses

Thank you so much. One of the best answers I have received. I appreciate your help.