• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me with prone

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
I just started shooting prone, before this it has always been bench work. First time to 200 prone and these are my 2 problems.

My setup is trg 22 308 20", vortex razor, atlas bipod, reloads that shoot 1/2 moa.

1) After the shot the gun jumps left. I continued to shift my body left to the point of being 30 degrees (guess) to the left and still jumps left.
2) I was getting groups that were ok on windage but the vertical spread was 5 inches.

Any pointers or ideas to help?
Thanks

I was in your position about a year ago. Something that helped me immensely was a training DVD from Rifles Only. I think they call it Fundementals, or DVD #1. It is well worth it.

First, learn how to build an unsupported prone position. This is a position which is supported from bone alone. Learning how to build a position from bone alone will reveal when NPA has been adjusted properly, the position is muscularly relaxed, and when the position is using bone rather than muscle for support. Beginning with any artificial support will dull the knowledge of when NPA, bone support, and muscular relaxation have been completely realized. Thus, the artificial support will serve more as a rest rather than a support; and, consistent control of the rifle, from trigger pull to bullet exit, will not be possible.

Last edited:
First, learn how to build an unsupported prone position. This is a position which is supported from bone alone. Learning how to build a position from bone alone will reveal when NPA has been adjusted properly, the position is muscularly relaxed, and when the position is using bone rather than muscle for support. Beginning with any artificial support will dull the knowledge of when NPA, bone support, and muscular relaxation have been completely realized. Thus, the artificial support will serve more as a rest rather than a support; and, consistent control of the rifle, from trigger pull to bullet exit, will not be possible.

Great information here.

Ok, some of what was said here was over my head. I have the magpul dvd and have watched it. May need to rewatch it. Will I learn much more from the snipers hide or the rifles only DVD?

Ok, some of what was said here was over my head. I have the magpul dvd and have watched it. May need to rewatch it. Will I learn much more from the snipers hide or the rifles only DVD?

Yes, both are excellent at hammering home the fundamentals. Concise and to the point.

A lot of your vertical movement will come from trigger being to much finger not enough finger since your starting out on prone it could be and issue do to your elbow being to far forward or back. Like sterling shooter said Natural point of aim and bone support not muscling your gun into place will make a huge difference and what helps me is being directly behind the weapon to make that recoil come strait back and you will have better follow through. Hope this helps

the same problems can be encountered,analyzed and resolved w. a 22lr. rifle,if available, in the same position you're using your rifle of choice_
that will be CHEAPER but NOT MORE FORGIVING by any means_
Actually I'm degrading myself prone w./sling w.a .22, and it's really an humbling experience, but even at 50meters all my bad habits are shining under the sunlight, at the fraction of a .308 costs_
(and when my position is wrong, the bone/muscle pain is a better warning sign "before" than the low scores "after" my shoots)

Last edited:
Rifle jumping left as stated by others before can be caused by shoulders not being square, body being angled to the right of the gun, butt not being in your shoulder pocket correctly or your left elbow being too far forward(not being square again). I had jumping left issues and pulling my left elbow in helped a lot. I occasionally have it happen now because for some reason I keep sticking that elbow out there.

Rifle jumping left as stated by others before can be caused by shoulders not being square, body being angled to the right of the gun, butt not being in your shoulder pocket correctly or your left elbow being too far forward (not being square again). I had jumping left issues and pulling my left elbow in helped a lot. I occasionally have it happen now because for some reason I keep sticking that elbow out there.

After rewatching some of the magpul video and reading this I would bet this is my problem. I put my left elbow almost straight out. I will try some stuff out and report back.

Thanks

I really need to get these videos! Great question learning a lot from everyone!! If the gun is jumping left wouldn't you want to move your body right to straighten out the angle that the energy is being transfered into the body? By moving left the angle would increase instead of decrease? Much like a hinge, Just an idea!

OP.

You may want to visit the United States Army Marksmanship web site. Their Service Rifle Team has prepared a few shooting tips videos, and, as I recall, one of these is about building a prone position. Here's why I am suggesting this: right now it's the bipod which is distracting you and undermining your results. The sort of videos you are seeing show the proper techniques with such a device used as support as opposed to it being used incorrectly as a rest; however, learning to first build a position from bone alone where the non firing hand will be out on the fore end with elbow almost directly underneath the fore end will allow for recognition of muscular relaxation. When you start out with a bipod you will not get a sense for muscular relaxation; and, not having a sense of it, you will likely be using some muscle while executing the two firing tasks, which will disturb aim. Although, the disturbance may be miniscule, it will nevertheless prevent the best results. Also, when the rifle is resting on a bipod, it's real easy to unconsciously steer the reticle to the target while shouldering the rifle thus preventing recognition of NPA, and since the brain wants you to stay on target, NPA is never realized.

Last edited:
Here's why I am suggesting this: right now it's the bipod which is distracting you and undermining your results... NPA is never realized.
He is using a bi pod. He wants to use a bi pod. Maybe let him use a bi pod. Maybe even give him some advice about how to use a bi pod properly instead of claiming that NPA can't be achieved with it.

OP, you don't need to learn how to build an unsupported (sling supported) prone position for the purpose of using a bi pod. You don't need to learn long division in order to use a calculator. And you don't need to learn to use iron sights in order to use a scope.

I do agree with Sterling about the incorrect use of the bi pod in the Magpul video, though. None of what you saw in that video is over your head: Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain. Throw out that video and get real instruction that is not organized and financed for the purpose of pimping gizmos.

In the interest of full disclosure I admit to having a bias toward the instructors there (LOL!), but get the Rifles Only Fundamentals DVDs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skog

The rifle's only video is good, I own it and have watched it several times.

HOWEVER, you might want to consider SS's advise, that being the assets of the ARMY MARKSMANSHIP UNIT.

It seems every time the AMU is mentioned by SS or my self we start feuds. So be it. But ask your self this, Who wins most of the International Sniper Competitions. Who does the SEAL Sniper School Use for the Marksmanship Portion of the Seal Sniper Training (read the Red Circle by Webb, the chief seal sniper instructor). Who wins most of the Inter-service Rifle Competitions. Where did the Secret Service, FBI, and Marines, (yes I said Marines) sent their instructors when they were getting their programs started.

The answer is the AMU. Go to the CMP books store and find DVDs made by the AMU. They're expensive, probably run you about $6.95 each (some are more).

you don't need to learn how to build an unsupported (sling supported) prone position for the purpose of using a bi pod. You don't need to learn long division in order to use a calculator. And you don't need to learn to use iron sights in order to use a scope.

Ever hear the expression, "you have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk".

Now to address the problem. It's as SS said, "the lack of relaxation". Relaxation is the most under used fundamental of marksmanship BUT THE MOST CRITICAL, in my opinion. Any time you act, there is an re-action, or opposite re-action. You swat a fly, you relax your arm, you jump when startled by a sound, then relax back into your position you were in before the sound.

The same thing with shooting. The hammer falls, you naturally fall back into a relaxed position. We try to compensate with this with follow through.

But lets try something else. Lets get in position to shoot, when you're all lined up, good sight picture, close your eyes and relax. Now open your eyes. what do you see in this total relaxed state. It its not the target over the sights or through the scope, adjust and do it again. Keep doing it until you have no movement at all in the relaxed position.

Now as you're relaxed, dry fire with your eyes close. Open your eyes, if your not perfectly lined up you didn't do it right, keep at it until the hammer falls, you open your eyes and everything is perfect.

What this means is there is zero muscling of the rifle. Zero muscling means you don't relaxed after the hammer falls, why, because you are shooting in the total relaxed state.

As to bi-pod vs. sling. With the bi-pod you are using it to mast muscling. Be honest with your self, its your scores or hits that count here. Telling us X or Y doesn't help you at all. Only you know what you see, and if you're honest with your self, you're going to look through the scope, and the steady bi-pod is going to cause you to have to wiggle a tad to get on. You can't cheat with a sling, a slight wiggle will get you. Cheating might get you by one or two shots, but you're developing a habit that will be hard to brake.

Using the sling un-supported is going to force you to do it right, which will carry over to your bi-pod, bean bags or bench.

Now everyone is going to chime in and tell me I'm full of shit, so be it, if you want to learn to shoot, first you have to be honest. Look through your scope while using a bipod, Don't have to come back and tell us, I know you'll cheat and wiggle a bit. But be honest with yourself, adjust your shooting accordingly. You can still come back and tell me I'm full of it, I don't care, I too old to worry about what people think of me. My wife and my dog like me, that's what counts.

I've coached rifle teams a long time, put on several sniper schools, I've found the biggest deterrent for a new shooter is the lack of honesty with themselves. You see it all the time. Shooter shoots, coach ask for a call, he gets IT'S GOOD. I know its not, he knows its not, but there is the lack of honesty.

Compare a new shooters score book to an experienced shooter. Look at the calls and compare them to the plotted hits.

We like to argue. All of us, that's what makes these forums fun, but with your self, there is no substitute for honesty. Only you know what you see through the sights. If it moved after the hammer fall and you open your eyes, and are not perfectly lined up, you're not relaxed, Bi-pods mast that, slings wont. I don't care who you are, after the hammer falls you're going to fall back into a natural state, and that is when your sights should be lined up.

You have to learn to crawl before you walk. Learn to shoot without the bi-pod as a crutch. Then when you do move to the bi-pod you'll me much further a head.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with AMU, or with traditional marksmanship training. But not every marksmanship issue requires a twenty-year endeavor. And I would not use modern military sniper courses for comparison, nor would I use the agencies you mentioned as examples of ones that either does what the AMU does or first 'learns to crawl' using traditional training.

Last edited:
But not every marksmanship issue requires a twenty-year endeavor

But EVERY marksmanship issue requires the fundamentals of marksmanship, which RELAXATION is one, and a critical one.

Don't discount old guys and old procedures. I discussed Relaxation heavily. This was pushed by Cpt. Edward Crossman in the '20s. It hasn't changed. Go to any rifle match and watch the shooters. Some will be flopping around like a chicken with his head cut off.

And my favorite old shooter. Gary Anderson. Olympic metal winner in international rifle shooting (probably the most critical venue showing the importance of fundamentals). But that was a long time ago. Yeap it was, it was 1966 when Gary Anderson set a record in ISU 3 positions. Some people say, things have changed, equipment has changed, maybe so, but as of this date NO ONE has ever broke the record set by Gary Anderson in 1966. I'm old, and not the smartest guy on the prairie but I was smart enough when I attended an instructors course taught by Gary Anderson that I paid attention.

Learn the fundamentals, STRESSING the relaxation part, apply them, they will work now like they did when Crossman taught them, and when Gary Anderson used them and as Mr. Anderson teaches today.

Then and only then apply them to your bi-pod, shooting bag, or bench.

Don't take my word for it, I rather you didn't, don't take anyone else's word for it. Try it, see if it works. Be honest with yourself, it's your shooting you're tying to improve, not mine, not any one else on this or any other form.

I really don't care any more, I shoot for fun, I'd rather shoot an "8" with a 100 + year old 30-40 Krag standing on my hind legs then an X prone using a multi thousand dollar custom rifle.

I still coach, I still put on clinics and schools, I don't advertise much, don't have to because I don't charge. I've haven't ever been told, in my 40 years or so of coaching, teaching, had anyone come back to tell me they didn't get anything out of my classes. I'm not the best by a long shot, but I've helped a shooter now and then over the years.

You're not gonna hurt my feelings. I just want you to be honest with your self, keep it to your self if you wish, but be honest. Try it and see what happens. Right, wrong or indifferent come back and tell me I'm full of poop, wont hurt my feelings. If it works for you find, you don't have to tell me or anyone else.

Last edited:
That's good advice. Nothing wrong with it, as far as it goes.
But try relaxing with a high air-lead density ratio, or after having first run 400 yards to get to the firing position during a match stage.

But try relaxing with a high air-lead density ratio, or after having first run 400 yards to get to the firing position during a match stage.

You mean like a Rattle Battle or Infantry Trophy Match as shot by military teams.

Depending on rifle, combat or composite you start with a one or two mile run. The you go to the 600 yard line and from the prone, (sling un-supported) and fire as many rounds as you can in 50 seconds. The do the same thing at 500, 300 and 200. 6 & 500 are prone, 300 sitting and 200 off hand. Scoring is based on hits at the farthest range, so 600 is the most critical. The place where you want to get the most hits.

Yeap I've done that, several times, in such situations fundamentals are more critical then a slow deliberate single shot. After you learn the proper position, you're going to drop in that positions and apply the fundamentals instantly without thinking, INCLUDING RELAXING. If you don't you're not going to get the hits.

DEAR kraig wy: you're "full of shit'.?, Go poop. Now you're not "full of shit?". I read your stuff, like it" comes from the Bible". Those guys, that poop on your posts? FORGET about them. I'm listening.Thanks, for taking the time, to do some" Edjucatin"! This poor hillbilly wants to learn from the guys that know.

Last edited:

with all my sincerest respect, outside the air-lead d.ratio war scenario, here someone call it now BIATHLON, and that's something about fundamentals, beside bein' really hard _ I know that's w. .22s only, but I have a dvd about ol'mil.biathlon comps., w.real rifles & real snow etc., and the dance, as the fundamentals, seemed the same_

A little story about Biathlon.

I ran the AK NG Marksmanship unit. Part of it was supporting our biathlon team. I went on one of their practice sessions. It was just after the Olympics where a Russian won. So when I ran (skied) the course and found out I was only two minutes slower then the Russians Gold Metal run. I thought I was a hot shot, that is until my Biathlon coach reminded me I just did 7K, the Russian's time was based on his 15K course.

So much for my biathlon career.

...now I understand even better your steadiness about fdmntls...

and thank you very much for all your inputs here_

Last edited: