• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help my father pick a rifle ($2K to $2.5K)

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
Gents,

I know there are dozens of these threads, so please be gentle.
eek.gif

My father has been bitten by the bug since I've gotten into some med/long range shooting and he asked me opinions on a rifle. I have my opinions, but it is mostly from things I've read on these boards....no real personal experience, so I wanted to throw this out at you guys.

I will try my best to list out everything you might need to know to help with a suggestion.

I know that he said he wants:
1. .308 Win
2. Budget from $2,000 to $2,500 (rifle only)
3. Capable of accurately punching paper/banging steel to 1,000 yards. Maybe we could go farther somewhere one day, but I do doubt it would ever happen. Let's just assume 1,000 yards would be the maximum....and it would be a while before he gets that far.
4. Factory rifle....this probably goes without saying because of the budget. I would assume $2K to $2.5K would prohibit most/all decent customs.
5. New rifle. He is not against a used rifle, but you know how that goes: finding exactly what he wants (once he decides), when he wants it, at the price he wants might be difficult.
6. Great "as-is" rifle. You would have to know my Dad, but he will <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> want to buy a rifle and then buy a new stock, replace the trigger, swap barrels, send to smith for bedding or truing, etc. He's the kind who wants a great gun he doesn't need to do anything to, but shoot and clean.

When we started talking about it, two rifles popped into my head: Sako TRG-22 and FN SPR A3G....but again, I'm not tremendously well versed in different rifle brands, especially ones in this price point. The reason I thought of these two was because I have read good things about them both and both come with nice stocks and triggers, etc....no significant upgrading required. The only fuzzy part to me about these rifles is nailing down an actual price. I'm not good at finding prices on the internet. I've read several references on these boards of prices being cheaper than what is actually posted on websites.

I'm open to suggestions as I have probably overlooked two or three other good candidates. I'd like to present him with the options and let <span style="text-decoration: underline">him</span> choose. I would choose the Sako personally (if it can be had in that price range), but I want it to ultimately be his decision.

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend me.

Re: Help my father pick a rifle ($2K to $2.5K)

It seems like Sako just raised their prices. The TRG 22 is about 3000 now.

But I think that's your best option.

I think the Sako is well worth the extra money over the FN.

Remember to Budget about 2k for your optic.

Not much help but for 2k-2.5k u can get a awesome used custom builds on this web site.. With low round count I've seen a lot of .308's for sell with less then 4-500 rounds threw em

Sorry I wasn't no help

Over the last couple years there have been a bunch of barely used rifles real close to your price point sold here. I would watch for a while. If you are patient I think you can find a custom rifle that is like new.

May want to look at the 260 rem. Bullets will buck the wind better

I have 2 TRG 22s (260 and 308) and they are awesome guns. No upgrades are needed for these fine rifles. If he plans on reloading and does not mind a 26 inch barrel, the 260 TRG is a sweet shooter. If he wants to shoot factory ammo or wants shorter barrel, the 20 inch 308 is nice. Can't go wrong either way and maintain resale value if he decides to let it go.

If you look around a bit you may find a Sako TRG 22 near $2,500. I would call Alex at Euro Optic and see what he has. Currently he has some TRG 42 338 Lapua Mags in stock for as low as $2600. Maybe he has a TRG 22 priced similarly.

I'm not much of a Savage guy, more REM 700's for me but I can't deny the fact that they shoot lights out, barrel swaps make easy caliber swaps, and the triggers are pretty slick. May want to look at a Savage in a 6.5 Creedmore. Spend the rest of the cash on a nice scope. Probably get the rifle and a used Nightforce and still have some cash left over for some Hornady 140 gn Amaxs. JMO.

......my dads the same way.

Tikka Tactical or Tikka Scout, then invest the difference in scope, reloading, ammo, and maybe a class.

Call Dick at Redhawk Rifles...he can get you in that price range and builds a very good gun.

Something to add if he is a Leftie could be a wait cause it seems the actions for the 700 LH are hard to find right now.

You can get a savage that comes from the factory in a mcmillan stock, with a heavy contour barrel that shoots lights out for around half of your budget, and that leaves more money to buy a great scope.

Why not a Cooper? They look good, the trigger is nice and they guarantee the rifle to shoot 1/2 MOA or less.

I see you are in Dothan, AL. If you want to meet in Birmingham you are more than welcome to try my TRG-22.

Guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback. I wasn't necessarily married to the FN or TRG ideas, but apparently they both are pretty popular.

The raising of the base price on a brand new TRG might deter my Dad (he can honestly afford whatever he wants, but he is frugal). Like I said, once he figures out what he wants, he might go for a used rifle.....just depends on if he can be patient.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback. I'll even bring up the Savage to him.

Much appreciated.

I have a TRG I bought from Euro Optics. I like the rifle very much and Euro Optics is highly recommended.

I see someone suggested a Cooper. Coopers are very nice and shoot very well. When they have the hardwood stocks they are beautiful. I had one in .243 for a couple of months. I just couldn't bring myself to drag it around the prairie and scuff it all up so, I sold it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback. I wasn't necessarily married to the FN or TRG ideas, but apparently they both are pretty popular.

The raising of the base price on a brand new TRG might deter my Dad (he can honestly afford whatever he wants, but he is frugal). Like I said, once he figures out what he wants, he might go for a used rifle.....just depends on if he can be patient.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback. I'll even bring up the Savage to him.

Much appreciated. </div></div>

You don't need to spend 3-4k+ for a good custom rifle. $2500 ought to buy a pretty damn nice custom. Brownells has Rem 700 SA's for $370. Start with that and start pricing out other components and costs and you might be surprised what you learn.

Find a used TRG!!! I got mine for $2700 but that was with a custom 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, bipod, the original 308 barrel, and a family discount
laugh.gif