• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help my nerd addiction; I want to upgrade my PC to kick online ass

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I'm not really 'behind' as I can play most current games on full graphics but am anticipating a few new games end of this year/sometime 2014 and wanted to start getting new parts to be able to run them (mainly Star Citizen) without having to slide the graphics down. Also, wanted some input/help on if I can run dual cards and possibly 2 monitors.

Right now I have:

CPU: Intel i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz
    GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX550 Ti (Fermi)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 here: Amazon.com: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard: Computers & Accessories
    RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) here: Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9: Electronics

From what I've read, the spots I'd need to beef up a bit are the GPU and the RAM. The RAM I think is easy, but am not sure if my motherboard can run this for 16GB: Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B * *: Electronics

Can I simply swap those out or does my motherboard not support it and/or able to run it?

Also, what should I look towards for a newer GPU? Could I benefit from getting a newer one and somehow running the new one and the one I currently have, or does that not work?

Could I run 2 monitors with a new card/dual card setup without it taking away from being able to run the high settings; if so, how would you do this and what is the best way as well as the best monitors to do so for mainly gaming?

Thanks

I'd get a quality ssd (like Samsung) since it comes with some great drive cloning software and then get another gtx 550. Most games support dual cards now and those two will be better then most cards in the 300-400 range right now I would think. I'm about to do the same with another gtx 670. I doubt you need any more ram and will see most of a change from what I mentioned. Just make sure tour psu can handle the power. Then you can do some OCing on your CPU and gpu and be good to go. Might need a good CPU cooler too. My nerdy .02.

To make a long story short, the best price/performance boost your looking at is getting another GTX 550, and learn how to overclock your CPU. Do a bunch of reading on it and you will be fine, Google is your friend. Everyone had to learn somehow. Your memory is fine, I would not worry about it. Even if you did upgrade your memory you wouldn't notice a different a slight bit from what you have now. Before you get into overclocking and SLI, I would take a look at your current setup and see if your cooling is sufficient. See what your current temps are now with your setup at idle and while gaming. If they are high temp now that is the first thing I would worry about before you do anything else.Proper ventilation is a MUST. After you are good to go with your CPU & GPU temps don't forget about you HDD. If you'r case can hold a fan on it or them and it doesn't have one I would look into getting one. Keep all this cool and you'r PC will run a little smoother I promise. As mentioned above make sure you have a PSU with sufficient power. You didn't list what you currently have for a HDD, but as said already You can look into getting a SSD if you can swing the coin. You will not be disappointed If you do, the performance increase is very noticeable.

you don't need anything more than your i5 2500 & 8gb of ram.... what would help the most is a new graphics card and a SSD. Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2013

I'm running an i7 2600k over clocked with a 570 graphics card OC'd to damn near a 580 and it will crunch damn near any game on the market right now and my computer is over 1year old... going SSD was the best thing I ever did. Once you go SSD you'll never go back. Boot up is stupid fast.

I'm not really 'behind' as I can play most current games on full graphics but am anticipating a few new games end of this year/sometime 2014 and wanted to start getting new parts to be able to run them (mainly Star Citizen) without having to slide the graphics down. Also, wanted some input/help on if I can run dual cards and possibly 2 monitors.

Right now I have:

CPU: Intel i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz
    GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX550 Ti (Fermi)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 here: Amazon.com: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard: Computers & Accessories
    RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) here: Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9: Electronics

From what I've read, the spots I'd need to beef up a bit are the GPU and the RAM. The RAM I think is easy, but am not sure if my motherboard can run this for 16GB: Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B * *: Electronics

Can I simply swap those out or does my motherboard not support it and/or able to run it?

Also, what should I look towards for a newer GPU? Could I benefit from getting a newer one and somehow running the new one and the one I currently have, or does that not work?

Could I run 2 monitors with a new card/dual card setup without it taking away from being able to run the high settings; if so, how would you do this and what is the best way as well as the best monitors to do so for mainly gaming?

Thanks

you don't need anything more than your i5 2500 & 8gb of ram.... what would help the most is a new graphics card and a SSD. Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2013

I'm running an i7 2600k over clocked with a 570 graphics card OC'd to damn near a 580 and it will crunch damn near any game on the market right now and my computer is over 1year old... going SSD was the best thing I ever did. Once you go SSD you'll never go back. Boot up is stupid fast.

What is SSD? I read a page on it and am more confused than before. What's it do, what does it replace?

Was thinking I am going to toss up 16GB RAM eventually (Im fine now, but in 2014 I think the 16GB will help) and eventually get a newer card. Nice thing with cards is that the absolute top card now, which would run Star Citizen at max everything will be $200 or less in 6-8 months from now.

SSD = solid state drive..... it replaces your spinning disk type hard drive.... information transfer and boot up times are stupid fast

seriously, it has been proven with today's games, anything over 8gb of ram is a waste

your i5 2500k processor is a fantastic proc.... nothing wrong with it especially if you have a nice GPU heat sink and fan & you over clock it

best improvement would be with a better graphics card... newegg.com is your friend! 128gb OR more SSD, and a new graphics card would make you tip top!

I love building computers! you should see my home theatre! it is sick! onkyo 7.2 surround with polk audio tower speakers & 12" powered sub, 60" lcd tv, all hooked up to my custom built computer tower with blue tooth keyboard & mouse. Snowboarding, computers, electronics, reloading, and firearms! how can you go wrong! just some of my favorite hobbies / sports.

What is SSD? I read a page on it and am more confused than before. What's it do, what does it replace?

Was thinking I am going to toss up 16GB RAM eventually (Im fine now, but in 2014 I think the 16GB will help) and eventually get a newer card. Nice thing with cards is that the absolute top card now, which would run Star Citizen at max everything will be $200 or less in 6-8 months from now.

Do you have your set up in a "gaming" case? You want lots of airflow when you start overclocking. Also suggest liquid cooling for your cpu. Like a corsair H80 with dual fans. Very easy to set up and works great. I am running a amd phenom II X4 956 black quad core 3.4 Ghz oc'ed to 4.04Ghz and it only hits 58C when running full out with prime95 or intel burn test. Also have the RAM and GPU oc'ed.

Last edited:
    SSD = solid state drive..... it replaces your spinning disk type hard drive.... information transfer and boot up times are stupid fast

seriously, it has been proven with today's games, anything over 8gb of ram is a waste

your i5 2500k processor is a fantastic proc.... nothing wrong with it especially if you have a nice GPU heat sink and fan & you over clock it

best improvement would be with a better graphics card... newegg.com is your friend! 128gb OR more SSD, and a new graphics card would make you tip top!

I love building computers! you should see my home theatre! it is sick! onkyo 7.2 surround with polk audio tower speakers & 12" powered sub, 60" lcd tv, all hooked up to my custom built computer tower with blue tooth keyboard & mouse. Snowboarding, computers, electronics, reloading, and firearms! how can you go wrong! just some of my favorite hobbies / sports.

Whats the best/safest way to overlock my CPU and how far do you think I should take it?

I have a gaming case, 7 case fans as well as watercooling.

For step by step how-to guides, builds for every budget, etc., try Technology News, Computer and Notebook Reviews, Computer News, Computer Mods, PC News | Maximum PC . They have a great print edition magazine as well.

If you play FPS you may want to consider the switch to console games and make life easier when the XBox One comes out in November. MSFT has reversed course on all their BS policies. I am old enough to have put quarters in a Pong video game in the early 1970s and am still going. I play with a large group of adults who are almost universally married with kids, with some in their 50s and we are top-tier COD players. So if you're worried everyone is a tyrant tyke on consoles, don't be. Kids play Nintendo, teens play Playstation, and adults play XBox. Obviously these are generalizations. And more young people play button mashers like Halo than COD, etc. But you can be an adult and enjoy console games. And nothing like a smart mouth little dumb-arse talking shit getting ganged up on by six experienced adults in the trash talking war -- the tables are turned on little shits! Or you can be in a private party and not worry about them at all.

Just thought I would plug the concept as I gave up on trying to keep up with PC technology for gaming years ago and haven't regretted it.

What games do you play, what resolution are you using on your monitor, and what is your budget. Your CPU and RAM are good to go but the graphics card is holding you back. The game and resolution will give you a target to look at for graphics card. SSDs are just stupid fast. It will be the single biggest visible speed improvement you will see. That being said, for gaming if you are budget limited I would consider spending SSD money towards more power on graphics. The NVidia GTX 7xx series cards are fast. I went from GTX570 to the GTX770 and it was night and day on BF3. The 760s are reviewed here as well as benchmarks for other cards.

Depending on the cash you want to spend, for SSD take a look at the PCI card slot models. They're a blur!

And make sure your Internet is actually going as fast as it can with no bottlenecks (slower switches, hubs, cables) and wired instead of wireless. It'll cut the lag time.

Here is what I would suggest to get you the most gaming value for the money:

Upgrade your video card to: GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition

HARDOCP - GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition - GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition Review

Second, get a 240 Gigabyte or bigger Intel 520 series SSD, or Samsung 840 PRO series SSD (if Samsung make sure it is the PRO model)

Those 2 things right there will make the biggest difference in the world for your gaming, very few games are CPU or memory limited, so put the money into those first 2 things and they will give you the best value and then also last for several upgrades.

Then if you have the money:
    Upgrade your ram a bit to have 16 gigs (Really for most things 1333 or 1600 speed is more than enough, no need to get super special memory, there is a diminishing return on trying to go crazy on memory speed, your motherboard should support most DDR-3 1333/1600 and greater modules)

Upgrade your CPU to either an i7 2600K or the fastest CPU that your motherboard / budget can handle and invest in a very good cooler so you can overclock if you want.
    Check out: HARDOCP - Cooling & Cases Page 1

Seriously, if you want good gaming performance, dump the money first into that video card & then into an SSD & you will kick ass and then everything else is optional.
    Add in an upgrade to 16 gigs of memory and a i7-2600k off ebay & a good cooler and you will be set for the next couple years. Later if you want, you can upgrade to Dual video cards, but unless you are doing like a 3 monitor gaming setup that 1 video card will be all you need.

For gaming, either do 1 monitor or do 3 monitors. Actually playing with 2 monitors usually winds up being less than ideal due to the center line issue which 3 monitors solves. I think however you would probably have more fun with a single really good 30" monitor than doing a 3 monitor setup unless you specifically want the wider view.

Gee, and I always thought "gaming" was for pimple faced teenagers and socially awkward basement dwellers, not the full fledged shooting experts lending their advice in this thread.