• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help needed on Proof barrel

who also purchased a Proof barreled gun from a gunsmith in PA that was messed up.

Your smith should have chopped that nipple off and called you when your barrel was ready for pick up without ever starting any of this.

I wonder if it was the same gunsmith.

I want to know who this gunsmith is so we can avoid him. I have a friend looking for a local gunsmith in Western PA and he does not need to use this guy.

Reactions: Stoweit
Ok so I'm the guy that bought the barrel. For all of you guys saying " that skinny part should be cut off", that skinny part is meant to be threaded for a brake or any other muzzle device you might want to put on it. It is threaded for 1/2x28. THIS IS A .338 CALIBER BARREL. No gunsmith or barrel maker would ever put that small of a thread on a .338 caliber barrel. I have never even seen a muzzle device threaded for that. My gun smith has already contacted proof with the serial number on the barrel. Proof says they never put threads on blanks. NEVER. How can you say that this is a new blank? It is very obvious that someone messed up by threading 1/2x28 on the muzzle and wanted rid of the barrel because they knew they messed up.
The "skinny part" is NOT meant to be threaded for a brake or muzzle device, it is to be removed by the builder, period.

Proof themselves told me this isn't normal. I have a ton of respect for the people that chimed in on this but I just feel like I got taken advantage of. I would not have bought the barrel if I knew someone had done work to it. Even if it was just threading the scrap end of the barrel. And I think a lot of people would feel the same way. How is that hard to understand? Lesson learned on trying to save a couple bucks on buying critical rifle components from a private party.
The only one that did work to that barrel before you got it was PROOF. There is nothing wrong with it. That section is meant to be removed by the builder.

New Proofs should look like the two below; not turned further and have been threaded. The blank may never have been used but is an old vintage.

proof-barrel-muzzle-notes.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Am I the only one that sees "8 months ago" and seller is just now getting notified by the buyer that he and his "smith" thinks the seller sold them something that has been jacked with, lol???

At this point we have just as much chance as the seller and his smith jacking with barrel as we do it NOT coming from Proof that way, lololol

Sincerely,
Theis

The blank may never have been used but is an old vintage.
Well, I guess my first thought it so what? Do they go bad? Did Proof make some change in the last 5 years that render this barrel obsolete?

I don't think so but....?

Am I the only one that sees "8 months ago" and seller is just now getting notified by the buyer that he and his "smith" thinks the seller sold them something that has been jacked with, lol???
I sort of vaguely think I remember that he was waiting for his action to come in before taking it to the smith...maybe??

I sort of vaguely think I remember that he was waiting for his action to come in before taking it to the smith...maybe??

Hi,

Raise your hand if you have ever bought an item, especially an item from someone on an internet forum and left it packaged without opening it to inspect it for 8 months.

Sincerely,
Theis

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Anyone else reminded of Encyclopedia Brown, call this "Sniper's Hide and the Case of the Threaded Proof Nipple?" LOL
Hi,

Raise your hand if you have ever bought an item, especially an item from someone on an internet forum and left it packaged without opening it to inspect it for 8 months.

Sincerely,
Theis
My wife mocks me, because the moment a package hits my hands I am pulling out my knife to open it, lol. Wouldn't have remained sealed for longer than 30 seconds for me under almost any circumstance!

People mess up the threading on the barrel and get rid of it. I asked him to send me an email stating that and he said that there's a special department that deals with snipershide posts and he would see what they said about the matter.

That's why I love this place. The depth of knowledge is amazing. Apparently that knowledge is so highly regarded by a major manufacturer that they have a designated individual as the go to for SH related questions. That person would, of course, be the guy who actually knows what he is talking about.

I check SH almost daily. As usual I learned something today.