• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help needed to pick a Tactical Riflescope......

Jager66

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Northern VA & Northern Italy
Hi Gents, I need help from you Experts to choose a scope for my next long range rifle.

The "must have" features I am seeking are :

- Illuminated reticle, graduated in Mils, with hash mark (no "round" Mildot type) in (at least) 0,5 - 1 Mils increment
- Tactical turrets, in Mils
- FFP
- Zero Stop
- Max power of at least 12X, but no more than 25x
- Parallax adjustment
- Good glass
- No flows on clicks repetition

Other "appreciated" features would be :

- lightweight and compact size
- lockable turrets
- Counter Clockwise turrets rotation

I was first looking into Leupold Mark 4, but..... ER series are not offered with Illuminated reticle and MR have mostly MOA turrets and Second focal plane...

Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers
J66

Last edited:
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP.

Has all your must have features.

Sport Optics gives a very nice Sniper's Hide member discount.

Thanks for your advice.

I forgot to mention I already own a Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP, which I am very happy with.

I would like to try a different brand this time, though.

J66

NEW, not old, Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50mm with the MLR2.0 reticle.

Truly impressive glass. They did something to them last year and you can disregard all the negative comments regarding poor contrast that are floating around. They are edge to edge sharp at all magnifications and very contrasty... like Hensoldt grade contrasty. The reticle is bold enough to be usable at low magnification.

It's a simple, bullet proof, great scope with awesome glass.

I would look at a Vortex Razor HD. You can get a really good deal on them right now since several models have been discontinued. Contact Mile High Shooting Accessories. They are great to deal with.

Hi Gents, I need help from you Experts to choose a scope for my next long range rifle.

The "must have" features I am seeking are :

- Illuminated reticle, graduated in Mils, with hash mark (no "round" Mildot type) in (at least) 0,5 - 1 Mils increment
- Tactical turrets, in Mils
- FFP
- Zero Stop
- Max power of at least 12X, but no more than 25x
- Parallax adjustment
- Good glass
- No flows on clicks repetition

Other "appreciated" features would be :

- lightweight and compact size
- lockable turrets
- Counter Clockwise turrets rotation

I was first looking into Leupold Mark 4, but..... ER series are not offered with Illuminated reticle and MR have mostly MOA turrets and Second focal plane...

Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers
J66

Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 with your choice of illuminated mil based reticle (TMR or Horus). I however do not know the availability of said scope.

Good luck.

Look no further than to the Vortex Razor hd, the generation 1 has the same controls as you are used to from your Viper PST but with much nicer glass.

Do you have a set budget in mind? Budget is going to dictate what features you get and what you don't.

To meet everything you want but are expensive :
S&B 3-20, or even 5-25 (little heavier) Steiner MX5i series 3-15 or 5-25. Also March scopes look good too.

Compromise for price:
Steiner T5Xi (no locking turrets but top notch glass),
Vortex Razor G2 (heavy), Bushnell 3.5-21 (slightly worse glass quality over others mentioned ).

I personally would steer clear of Leupold as I'm not a big fan of their products. I've heard of too many issues recently especially with turrets, the features are just now catching up to the rest if the optics world and they are way over priced for what you get.

With the exception of being a pig... the Razor Gen II offers the most features and at a very good price point. I'm very impressed with my 4.5-27 and may pick up a 3-18 for my Badger 308 and put the Steiner on the POF. Steiner does have some incredible glass quality for a cheaper than its competitors prices

Is there a SN cutoff to know whether you have a new or an old one?

NEW, not old, Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50mm with the MLR2.0 reticle.

Truly impressive glass. They did something to them last year and you can disregard all the negative comments regarding poor contrast that are floating around. They are edge to edge sharp at all magnifications and very contrasty... like Hensoldt grade contrasty. The reticle is bold enough to be usable at low magnification.

It's a simple, bullet proof, great scope with awesome glass.

Strike33, Razor is way too heavy, unfortunately.....

I shot with one today thanks to Rob...weight is not noticeable at all. I suppose that your use case may make the weight a problem which is a shame. Glass is much nicer than the Gen 1 (there was a Gen 1 there as well). Very clear and bright image. The -1C reticle was also really nice. Turrets were awesome - crisp and clearly readable. I had nothing bad to say after we were done.

I am in the same boat relative to looking for a scope for my semi 308s. I have seen nothing at this price point that is as nice. The only other candidate for me is the Khales K624i with the MSR reticle. Much lighter and supposedly as nice but $500 more.

Good luck with your search

Unfortunately, weight is an issue, as the rifle may be used for hunting in tough terrain, thus every spare gram (or ounce) will make a little but significant difference, at the end of the day.

Again, the new Steiner seems interesting. Just waiting to see what the first impressions will be.....

I like the Khales "Competition K" series, particularly the K624i and the "new" version of the K312i (Illuminated), even though not in the same price league.
I tootk a sneak peek at the Leupold Mark 6, but the price (let alone other issues) is a nogo ! +1000 U$D for the Illuminated version ? You gotta be kidding me !

J66

No issues with mine. I have a Mark 6 3-18 with the M5B2 turret and Horus reticle. I have had it about a year and have about 700 rounds down range so far. I know I'm only one person...but I think this scope is the ideal scope for a .308 gas gun. LE/MIL program does help.

Can't wait to see what SHOT will bring us this year!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, weight is an issue, as the rifle may be used for hunting in tough terrain, thus every spare gram (or ounce) will make a little but significant difference, at the end of the day.

Again, the new Steiner seems interesting. Just waiting to see what the first impressions will be.....

I like the Khales "Competition K" series, particularly the K624i and the "new" version of the K312i (Illuminated), even though not in the same price league.
I tootk a sneak peek at the Leupold Mark 6, but the price (let alone other issues) is a nogo ! +1000 U$D for the Illuminated version ? You gotta be kidding me !

J66

I will say the illumination of the Mark 6 is very impressive. When you look at the features the illuminated version provides, while it is still expensive its in the same league as other similarly equipped products.

All around champ: nightforce f1

Next best for the money: bushnell hdmr (great reticules offered) swfa 5-20 (good reticule, awesome turrets) leupold mk4 mil/mil m5 (only downside...no illumination...unless you are willing to spend 15.7k) I'd certainly also consider a USO sn3.