• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help needed! Vortex PST Gen2 5-25 or Meopro Optika6 4.5-27?

delinquent pleb

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Hi all

I am looking at either a Vortex PST Gen2 5-25 in SFP or an Optika6 4.5-27. The scope will sit on top of a .308/.260 Switch barrel that is used for ranges out to 900m (plinking and PRS mostly).

I haven’t used either scope before so hoping to get impressions and Insight from anyone who has used either of these scopes.

Thanks everyone

I use my PST genII 5x25 FFP, for my 600yd. shoots and I feel the glass clarity does not lack for anything, but I've never looked thru a 5k piece of glass either. Mac

Reactions: delinquent pleb
I use my PST genII 5x25 FFP, for my 600yd. shoots and I feel the glass clarity does not lack for anything, but I've never looked thru a 5k piece of glass either. Mac

Thanks for the insight, That (Our to 600yds/500m) is likely to be what I willUse it for mostly. I see that they deliver a lot for the money.

I also own a Kahles K1050. It’s superb and delivers amazing clarity at every power, even through difficult environmental conditions But cost $3650. I was quoting up the Kahles K624 and K525 and they are like $4200! The reality though is dropping $4K On a rifle scope is not so much an option these days. So I’m looking at the middle range Options.

Thanks for the insight, That (Our to 600yds/500m) is likely to be what I willUse it for mostly. I see that they deliver a lot for the money.

I also own a Kahles K1050. It’s superb and delivers amazing clarity at every power, even through difficult environmental conditions But cost $3650. I was quoting up the Kahles K624 and K525 and they are like $4200! The reality though is dropping $4K On a rifle scope is not so much an option these days. So I’m looking at the middle range Options.
I'm happy with mine. Only thing I've noticed is when I go between, say, 21x up to 25x, the eye relief can get a little finicky. Not terrible, just have to "fine-tune" your head behind the scope alittle. Mac

Does the glass get better in a mid-range scope than a leupold Mk5HD? Of course they have poor reticle choices though one could argue.

Does the glass get better in a mid-range scope than a leupold Mk5HD? Of course they have poor reticle choices though one could argue.

Not better In my observations. You look through a high scope like that and image is consistently sharp, vivid, and clear at at each end of the magnification range. The high end Leopolds are excellent.
I own a Kahles K1050 after using a NF NXS for a long time and it was substantially better in just about every optical measure. except the NXS would reliably survive being used as a club.

I’m wanting a scope in a 24-30x range and I’m not willing to pay $4200 For a kahles/High end leupold/ NF ATACR. So kim looking at Vortex’s.

Based on feedback here and reviews I have seen they seem to be an excellent mid range offerIng.

Can you buy one for under 1K?

I’m in Australia and you definitely will not find a Leupold Mk5 for Under $2k down here. But I could always save longer and buy better...I don’t have time to shoot all the time These days. Might be better to debut a awesome scope like a Mk5 and use it less frequently.

I have put over 250 rounds under my Optika6 4.5-27x50 FFP. Love it. Great Schott glass clarity and built stout. For a sub $850 scope it it will not disappoint.

Attachments

• IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 120
I’m in Australia and you definitely will not find a Leupold Mk5 for Under $2k down here. But I could always save longer and buy better...I don’t have time to shoot all the time These days. Might be better to debut a awesome scope like a Mk5 and use it less frequently.

I don't care for the reticle in the Mk5, Athlon Cronus glass is just as good to my eyes and I prefer both of their reticles. There's also an Ares ETR for under 1K. I think they're both better than the Vortex PST. No experience with the Optika.

I have put over 250 rounds under my Optika6 4.5-27x50 FFP. Love it. Great Schott glass clarity and built stout. For a sub $850 scope it it will not disappoint.

How does it look at max power? what weather conditions have you used it in And our to what range?

It looks great at max power, eye box is particular at max power too. I have used mine in sleet blowing sideways to hot and humid where you can watch the vapor trail all the way to the target.

I am patiently waiting for my Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27x50 and can let you know my impressions once I have it on hand. I don't have a PST 2 to compare to anymore, but I can say that I wasn't a huge fan of it myself. Heard great things about the ETR as well, but only looked through a Cronus and it was nice. If the ETR is anything like the Cronus it is a nice scope.

Reactions: bman940
I am patiently waiting for my Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27x50 and can let you know my impressions once I have it on hand. I don't have a PST 2 to compare to anymore, but I can say that I wasn't a huge fan of it myself. Heard great things about the ETR as well, but only looked through a Cronus and it was nice. If the ETR is anything like the Cronus it is a nice scope.

Okay, well the waiting part is the same as here in Australia. There are not many of them here and will be a bit of a wait for one. Would love to have a look at one I think.

I’m taking my time looking at this and saving along the way.

For your purpose, the Optika 5-30 is a better option than the 4.5-27. Comparing the two, the 5-30 has larger objective, ED glass, better reticle for intended purpose and larger FOV. The reticle alone would be enough to sway me.

For your purpose, the Optika 5-30 is a better option than the 4.5-27. Comparing the two, the 5-30 has larger objective, ED glass, better reticle for intended purpose and larger FOV. The reticle alone would be enough to sway me.
I spoke with the LGS and the 5-30-56 looks very tidy. maIn reason for preference for 4.5-27 was a SFP. But I would say I’m coming around to the FFP options rapidly.

Also, remember that you are bumping up from a 30mm tube to a 34mm tube with the 5-30x56.

I didn't ask the question, but I'm convinced the Optika 5-30 may be the ticket. I was just really disappointed in my PST scope compared next to a Diamondback. I just expected more. Optika sounds like the way to go for that magnification range.

I need to go visit the px.

I’m in Australia and the 5-30 Optika6 offs about 300-350 cheaper than the PST. Just very surprised by that. Sound like the way to go I think.

Last edited:
The point again escapes your grasp. Litterly right over your head.

You are one data point of thousands. Of those thousands there are varying degrees of competency and use. Some poors who bought a cheap import scope becuaee they couldnt afford anything else, probally dont have the money to actually shoot them enough to see issues. Of that group a sizable percentage woudlnt even know an issue existed due to ignorance. Most people dont even do a tall target test to verify clicks. Many of us have owned these over the years and had bad experiences. A novice or incompetent shooter wouldnt know this.

There are hundreds of examples of the pst shitting the bed over the years. Enough so, that vortex essentially has so much margin built in they can afford to replace them 2 or 3 or 4 times and stay profitable. I am a huge fan of the razor and have one ontop a rifle right now, so not bashing vortexes abilty to make/source good quality.
They should really be two separate companies. One who sells imported phil/chineese junk and one who sells/imports jap&american products.

You claiming to not have an issue says nothing about the quality of the product. If a parachute has a 8/10 chance of working would you recommend it? Would you jump it?

There are enough verified reports of issues that its not even a question at this point. And the gen 2 has shit glass on top of it. Side by side with the nikon fx1000 which is another piece of imported shit, it looked like a S&B In comparison glass wise, and no one would claim the nikon has good glass. So i have no idea what it brings to the table when you can get a proven jap scope for the same money.

Real easy to say a product is good to go when you dont use it or run it hard.

Reactions: zaprosper
Oh Jesus Christ this attitude again. Don’t mind him Sniperwannabee.

I haven’t seen the Optika6 personally but a friend whose opinions I respect liked it over the PST. Given the price difference in Oz I’d need another reason (reticle consistency across rigs, etc) to justify going with the Vortex.

Your not the only one here he wears a uniform, in fact many here have CIBs and CAB & CARSs. Are you discounting everyone else who had serious issues with the gear?

Like I said in the original post, you will need that warranty.

No one knows how good the optika6 is, its relatively new and hasn't been out there in enough numbers to make a confidence call.

The PST has been out there and all things being equal, is a proven dud. A whole lot of them sitting on rifles that get shot once or twice a year. Just about everyone who has been shooting LR for years has tried these and either had one go down or seen one go down in their shooting circles. Its not some huge secret.

So if you had to choose between two, I would take the unproven before the disproven.

Jumping into the shitstorm, I've owned and sold a gen II viper PST and a bunch of other scopes over the years I can confidently say that the PST gen II is a steamy pile of shit. Anodizing is soft, turrets are mushy, glass is shit, had to play with the battery contact to get the red dot to work.

Looks like money is an object with your choices.
I'd narrow it down to features and reticle you want before asking. On a budget Bushnell's line of scopes are nice. What's your budget?

Japanese and European mfg. Are solid choices.

The fact that the PST 2 is so polarizing should be an indication of the quality control. You never know what you might get. I must be one of the unlucky ones who ended up with a bad one too and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. I can't comment on the Optika 6 until I get my hands on mine, but seems to be more hit then miss.

Even though I do some freelance work with Meopta, I'm only going to pass along information that I feel is truthful and pertinent to what you guys will be using this scope for. From my own hands-on experience, I have been impressed with the Optika6 5-30x56 from objective to the eyepiece. This scope was well thought out and will help you reach out to your target. I have now shot mine to just under 800 yards and did great thwacking a 10-inch plate at that distance. I found the ED glass to be very good and the turrets tactile and precise. I think those of you looking for a sub-$1000 scope will be impressed by what Meopta has brought to the table with their Optika6 line of scopes.

Well I officially put a deposit on the Optika 6 5-30-56. MRAD RD reticle. Reviews are too positive and Pricing was too good to ignore any longer. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I’m in Australia so Gas Guns are pretty much not an option but that is very cool.
Mine arrived in the mail this morning and I should be able to pick it up this afternoon. Look forward to seeing how it compares to my other scopes. Was originally supposed to get a 4.5-27, but they had incorrectly labelled it as in stock so I got upgraded to the 5-30 for free.

Zap, That is surely a windfall for you! You and Delinquent will both be happy with your Optika6 riflescopes. I have put over $1000 in ammo under my 4.5-27 and 5-30x56, both sitting on 6.5 CM Bergara rifles. Huge fun and they let me wring all the accuracy possible out of my rifles. I look forward to hearing both of your impressions and range reports. If you need help with zero stop drop me a note.

Where did you get your Optika6? I'm being told all over nobody has them, have to wait until September at least.

Also...

There are enough verified reports of issues that its not even a question at this point. And the gen 2 has shit glass on top of it. Side by side with the nikon fx1000 which is another piece of imported shit, it looked like a S&B In comparison glass wise, and no one would claim the nikon has good glass. ...

I have two Nikon Black 6-24 and one 4-16. All of them pass turret tests within acceptable margins of error (and effectively equal to each other) and the glass was noted as some of the best in their price points at the time they were sold, and I agree. Especially since I didn't pay more than $500 for any of them (new).

If Nikon was still in the game, put a Vortex/Athlon like tree reticle in them, and changed nothing... I'd buy more. I've looked through scopes that cost at least $2500 and up to $4000 and they're all better. But... I'd rather work on shooting skill than seeing a gnat's ass 1,000 yards away at sunset.

Where did you get your Optika6? I'm being told all over nobody has them, have to wait until September at least.

Also...

I have two Nikon Black 6-24 and one 4-16. All of them pass turret tests within acceptable margins of error (and effectively equal to each other) and the glass was noted as some of the best in their price points at the time they were sold, and I agree. Especially since I didn't pay more than $500 for any of them (new).

If Nikon was still in the game, put a Vortex/Athlon like tree reticle in them, and changed nothing... I'd buy more. I've looked through scopes that cost at least $2500 and up to $4000 and they're all better. But... I'd rather work on shooting skill than seeing a gnat's ass 1,000 yards away at sunset.
Got my Optika 6 in Canada special ordered. Just so happened to be 1 available. I picked it up a couple hours ago and I'll have a chance to mount it later tonight to get an idea how it feels behind a rifle.
I did notice the scope didn't necessarily seem new taking it out of the box. Had a couple scuff and rub marks. Could be from the factory, who knows. I'll post some pictures and first impressions in the next day or so.

Zap, That is surely a windfall for you! You and Delinquent will both be happy with your Optika6 riflescopes. I have put over $1000 in ammo under my 4.5-27 and 5-30x56, both sitting on 6.5 CM Bergara rifles. Huge fun and they let me wring all the accuracy possible out of my rifles. I look forward to hearing both of your impressions and range reports. If you need help with zero stop drop me a note.
The manual is helpless when it comes to zero stop. Mind posting something?

This info should help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.29.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.29.18 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.29.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.29.32 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.29.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.29.42 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 110