• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help needed!

Dinger77

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2020
I have a question for some veterans out their! I’m looking to spend 2000$ on a new rifle it self. I already have money set aside for scope and ammo. This rifle will mainly be used for shooting ling range with the occasional hunt every now and then. What do you guys recommend?

If it was me I would just buy a RimX or Vudoo but that will be over your budget by the time you get everything. You could also get a Bergara Barreled action along with the chassis or stock of your choice and a nice trigger and be right around $2k all in.

Vudoo has the support and proven in my opinion. Rimx might be just as good but I know 100% that if I had a problem or needed support vudoo would stand by their product. And mine shoots lights out if I miss it is because of me not the rifle.

Reactions: STex
After what I have been through in the past few weeks, a CZ 452 on a home cut chassis in AI skins using Tenex drops 1 hole groups at 100m.

I have a question for some veterans out their! I’m looking to spend 2000$ on a new rifle it self. I already have money set aside for scope and ammo. This rifle will mainly be used for shooting ling range with the occasional hunt every now and then. What do you guys recommend?
You are talking about a .22 right? Long range target and hunting and rimfire aren’t usually used in the same context.

After what I have been through in the past few weeks, a CZ 452 on a home cut chassis in AI skins using Tenex drops 1 hole groups at 100m.
Maybe its hitting 1 round on paper and the rest off target?

I mean you can hunt squirrels and rabbits...400yd is pushing elr territory for a .22lr, just hoping to clarify what the OP is looking for. A $1800 vudoo isn’t gonna bag a deer or ring steel at 1k very easily.

Maybe its hitting 1 round on paper and the rest off target?
My .22 will shoot a one hole group at 100, after I put 2 or 3 boxes through the target and punch a 2” hole through the target for the rest to pass through.

Since no one mentioned it. Think about a used anschutz 1710. Maintains value and plenty accurate for sporter uses. Plus there's just something about those actions that makes them awesome.

If you have $2,000 to spend you will need at least $700 for passable glass and rings.

Don’t skimp on the glass ...

If you have to buy now you best bet is a cZ in a manners CF stock or Bergara and a athlon or vortext scope. The Bergara’s that I have seen shoot very very well.

Or wait and save some more and go Vudoo.

All of the vudoos I have seen Just hammer ...

Search the 50m group and rifle. Have to love Tenex.
50m maybe but 100m I don’t think so
I would have to see it done
I run a 100 yard table top match an seen all brands of rifles an ammo
Have not seen a 1hole group in 5 years
Just saying
If your CZ will do it, that great
You need to shoot the nationals
You should win
Not saying it can not be done
J Irish has done it
Hell I shot a .262 group 1 time in my life but never been able to repeat it
To many variables in 22lr at 100 yards an beyond
I am not bagging on you , don’t even know you
But if you have a cz rifle that can do it
6 times in a row let JB know he will post it on the 5x6 thread
I have seen one big 1/2” to 3/4” hole group.
But don’t know how many shots were taking to make it
Any how
For the money a good barrel on Vudoo or rimx would be my choice
A few annies an walthers come close 2nd
A tx1 with good scope would also be hard to beat
A CZ with money dropped into it
(Barrel,trigger,true action)
Would also get you there
Lot of great rifles an ammo coming out for the 22lr
In the last year, it great for us
Yotr

Last edited:
This is the best group I ever shot with 22 . My vudoo at 100. As you can see it is.270 and there is also a group 1.05 so capable and consistently are definitely two different things.
EAE52E44-EB7C-4047-BF80-8AC7D31555EF.jpeg

You are talking about a .22 right? Long range target and hunting and rimfire aren’t usually used in the same context.
No, I was thinking 6.5 prc, I should have been more specific in my original post that I was hunting big game.

No, I was thinking 6.5 prc, I should have been more specific in my original post that I was hunting big game.
Re-post your thread in the bol-action rifles section and you will get more relevant responses. I certainly can’t recommend any of these rimfire actions for your application!

no....no it doesnt.

in all my experience shooting smallbore....i can safely say a 1-hole @ 100 .22lr gun does not exist......and certainly not a CZ

although if you do have such a gun, you can easily sell it for $20K to any of the top competitors at Perry.

Reactions: STex and Yoteman2
no....no it doesnt.

in all my experience shooting smallbore....i can safely say a 1-hole @ 100 .22lr gun does not exist......and certainly not a CZ

although if you do have such a gun, you can easily sell it for $20K to any of the top competitors at Perry.

Have you read my other thread?

Have you read my other thread?
if you didnt link it here, im not going searching for it.

still doesnt change the fact that a CZ ( or any other .22) is not shooting 1 hole groups at 100

if you didnt link it here, im not going searching for it.

still doesnt change the fact that a CZ ( or any other .22) is not shooting 1 hole groups at 100

Then there is the problem. Basically I did everything wrong, CZ action, $8.90 piece of metal, dermal cuts, no bedding. But with Tenex the groups are gob smacking. The winter light at the moment means you can watch the bullet beyond 50m and through the March they arc into the target (and you can correct for the wind quickly too).

So, in simple terms, my advice FWIW, is spend most of the $2000 on the right ammunition for the gun.

• Haha
Reactions: Ncbrshooter
You could also get a Bergara Barreled action along with the chassis or stock of your choice and a nice trigger and be right around $2k all in.

This.
And if you decide later on you really want the Vudoo, just swap out the barreled action and sell the Bergara.

i can safely say a 1-hole @ 100 .22lr gun does not exist

Yeah it does. It happens. Not often, takes a long, long time to get it done, but it happens.
Everything has to go right...wind, setup, rifle, shooter, uniformity of the cartridges, and witnesses present.
I won't claim it's something that can be predicted, it's just a random act of accuracy.
It's not really building the rifle that's the hard part...it's finding ammunition good enough to get the job done.

I've lucked out and produced a sub 1/2" five shot group at 200 yards with a 455 Lilja using Lapua Biathlon.
Could I do so on demand? Heck no. That's why I've taken to calling it the "rimfire lottery". :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoteman2
i can safely say a 1-hole @ 100 .22lr gun does not exist

Yeah it does. It happens. Not often, takes a long, long time to get it done, but it happens.
Everything has to go right...wind, setup, rifle, shooter, uniformity of the cartridges, and witnesses present.
I won't claim it's something that can be predicted, it's just a random act of accuracy.
It's not really building the rifle that's the hard part...it's finding ammunition good enough to get the job done.

I've lucked out and produced a sub 1/2" five shot group at 200 yards with a 455 Lilja using Lapua Biathlon.
Could I do so on demand? Heck no. That's why I've taken to calling it the "rimfire lottery". :D
i can take a mosin and shoot 100 different groups from it......if 99 of those groups are 4 MOA.....but one of those groups happens to be .25 MOA.....that does not make the Mosin a .25 MOA gun.

even the shittiest gun is going to shoot a good group eventually.....but if you cant do it on demand, it doesnt mean shit.

so as i said before.....a 1 hole .22 doesnt exist.....because we dont rate gun accuracy on the best group its ever shot.....we rate gun accuracy on the average group size it produces.

I hear ya'Mc.

However, I'm gonna take a moment to offer a thought...or two.
Building a center fire rifle that is capable of bug holes at 100 yards is no big deal.
Then you figure out the handloads necessary to obtain consistent trajectories.
Once you accomplish that, folks won't argue with you about the rifle's capabilities.

Now, we've established it's not that big of a deal to build a rifle that's capable of predictable accuracy,
so we know that it's really not the rifle that is the limiting factor, it's finding cartridges that are capable
of allowing the rifle to show just how good it is. With rimfire, it really is the ammunition quality
that limits the results of the rifle. No rifle can make cr*ppy ammo produce consistent trajectories.
With rimfire, I check that chronograph after every shot. Rarely does it spit out the "dup" code.
Getting tight mv's for 5 shots in a row is almost impossible. With an SD of 10 y'er already exceeding
the ability of the ammo to produce the trajectories necessary to produce a bughole at 100 yards,
just from time of flight and gravity alone. It's not the rifles, it's the ammunition that can't get the job done. :(

Last edited:
I hear ya'Mc.

However, I'm gonna take a moment to offer a thought.
Building a center fire rifle that is capable of bug holes at 100 yards is no big deal.
Then you figure out the handloads necessary to obtain consistent trajectories.
Once you accomplish that, folks won't argue with you about the rifle's capabilities.

Now, we've established it's not that big of a deal to build a rifle that's capable of predictable accuracy,
so we know that it's really not the rifle that is the limiting factor, it's finding cartridges that are capable
of allowing the rifle to show just how good it is. With rimfire, it really is the ammunition quality
that limits the results of the rifle. No rifle can make cr*ppy ammo produce consistent trajectories.
With rimfire, I check that chronograph after every shot. Rarely does it spit out the "dup" code.
Getting tight mv's for 5 shots in a row is almost impossible. With an SD of 15 you already exceeding
the ability of the ammo to produce the trajectories necessary to produce a bughole
just from time of flight and gravity alone. It's not the rifles, it's the ammunition. :(
they are a system....and you cant exclude one from the other.

if you physically cannot get better ammo, it doesnt make any difference how accurate the rifle "can be".....the only thing that matters is how accurate a rifle "actually is".

if for some reason hand loading was illegal, and you could only buy factory ammo.....it doesnt make a difference if your rifle used to shoot .25 MOA with custom handloads, if your rifle only shoots .75 moa with the best factory ammo.....because the physical paper target doesnt care about your rifles "potential"....your group is your group.

also, 1 group doesnt even necessarily mean it was the guns/ ammos doing......it could have just been the statistical probability that all your shots ended up there.....not necessarily any inherent accuracy properties.

" just a random act of accuracy" Love it this willl be my motto on the off chance I get a good group.

Ok ok everyone is right to a point
I have seen hell I have shot a 3shot group at 100 yards with a rimfire that was one hole.
But to do it consistently every time not going to happen
As Justin said ammo is the big picture
Now wait for it
I have a built AR15 with a lot# of factory loaded 77gr it has shot 4 back to back 5 shots into one hole at 100yards by two different shooters
Just saying it can happen
Been there got the pictures
But back to this thread
Best I heard is EODDAVE advice
Bergara b14r then later you can always upgrade to a Vudoo barreled action
But you may find the B14r a hammer as I have
Then a Vudoo later as you build up funds is easier to move into
Bergara good glass an lots of ammo ( found lot#)
Is cheaper then vudoo
Still a tx1 or a cz is not a bad choice
Op lets us know your discussion
Then the hide will help you from there
Yote

Last edited:
i can take a mosin and shoot 100 different groups from it......if 99 of those groups are 4 MOA.....but one of those groups happens to be .25 MOA.....that does not make the Mosin a .25 MOA gun.

even the shittiest gun is going to shoot a good group eventually.....but if you cant do it on demand, it doesnt mean shit.

so as i said before.....a 1 hole .22 doesnt exist.....because we dont rate gun accuracy on the best group its ever shot.....we rate gun accuracy on the average group size it produces.
You sir also have a good point
But center fire we do have a little control over ammo
22lr is a hunt an find deal with ammo
Laupua test center probably has seen more one hole groups with rimfire then I will ever see but in a controlled atmosphere
Put a driver behind the rifle match n real world may not happen with the same ammo
Hell its rimfire
Shoot the best you can with what you got an move on an be happy
Yote
Damm just realities op was asking about center fire. Got us again
O well it has been fun debating back an forth with all but I am done.🙃

Last edited: