• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

**Help new reloader ** Binding case with Forester sizing die 6.5 creedmoor

Brian Turner

Target shooter mainly
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2023
**Help**

Not sure why but I’m getting binding when I put in a spent cartridge about half way up- have to stop. Tried with and without my decaping pin. Rcbs Rock Chucker. No problem with virgin brass.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong?

+1 on the advice to read a reloading manual, a good one will save you a lot of headache

Ditch that crap and use imperial die wax. Had several stuck cases with the one shot. Never stuck another after changing
Have never had a stuck case with One Shot. Haven't resized magnums yet, if I have issues with my upcoming 6.5PRC setup then I'll reevaluate. It takes more One Shot than you might expect sometimes, I usually lay the cases out on a towel and hit them 5-6 times, rolling them around between each coat. No issues when I'm liberal with it.

Have never had a stuck case with One Shot. Haven't resized magnums yet, if I have issues with my upcoming 6.5PRC setup then I'll reevaluate. It takes more One Shot than you might expect sometimes, I usually lay the cases out on a towel and hit them 5-6 times, rolling them around between each coat. No issues when I'm liberal with it.
Most were my 300wm but also my 6.5cm. Not worth it to me. The wax works amazing

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Most were my 300wm but also my 6.5cm. Not worth it to me. The wax works amazing
I get the impression that it's very reliable, yeah. It's just way too slow for me, I can't dedicate 10 secs per case for lube. If I start having stuck cases I'll reevaluate, but I'm up to about 4000 across three cartridges (all sub-magnum) with no issues. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, OP, sorry to derail. Glad your problem got solved.

Reactions: Brian Turner
I had an issue with one shot also. I've been using good Ole rcbs lube pad and lube and never had an issue since. It's pretty quick actually and works great.

I stand my cases on a board with space between each case then spray them from all four sides, only briefly. A short spray in the die and it all works nicely. Also have some Imperial wax for when doing just the odd case.

It's just way too slow for me, I can't dedicate 10 secs per case for lube.

I use Hornady Unique case lube and apply it by hand right before I put each case into the press. Perhaps about a second per case.

Hornady spray lube will not give you a stuck case... until it does.

I use Hornady Unique case lube and apply it by hand right before I put each case into the press. Perhaps about a second per case.

Hornady spray lube will not give you a stuck case... until it does.

Yes. Imperial is maybe 3 seconds per case but part of the advantage is the rubbing lube with fingers is another case inspection step. You can gain efficiency other ways, like organizing your parts and processes. Also, repetition can lead to efficiency. I'm an old fuck and I've learned to enjoy the time commitment to reloading, but I still strive to develop efficient, quality SOPs.

I buy One Shot by the case and have used it for many years now no issues.
I do still use Imperial for forming and some special cases and dies.
What gets some folks is using Imperial or similar then trying One Shot without cleaning dies first.

Yes. Imperial is maybe 3 seconds per case but part of the advantage is the rubbing lube with fingers is another case inspection step. You can gain efficiency other ways, like organizing your parts and processes. Also, repetition can lead to efficiency. I'm an old fuck and I've learned to enjoy the time commitment to reloading, but I still strive to develop efficient, quality SOPs.
I use Imperial sizing wax and it doesn't add any time to my sizing process as I have my cases dwell in the sizing die for 4-5 seconds to minimize spring back and during that time I'm finger lubing the next case to put into the sizing die. When I started reloading I tried the spray lube and had a couple stuck cases. Since I began to use the Imperial lube I've not had a single stuck case; in fact, I've not even come close to have a problem removing a case from a sizing die.

I have used just about every case lube out there. If I only shot 250 rounds a year and loved reloading as a hobby, imperial sizing wax is it. This used to be me. Once I started shooting matches, reloading became a chore. Then my wife started shooting. Then my two daughters. Now it is a FUCKING CHORE!

Mixing 1 part liquid lanolin with 10 parts 99% Isopropyl alcohol is a spray lube that is cheap, quick, and works. I use my cartridge boxes to stand cases in a plastic container all mouth up. I put the cases in the ammo box mouth down, and when I'm ready to reload I put the container over the ammo box and flip the whole thing upside down. Then I carefully pull the ammo box off the top of the cases. This leaves the cases neatly stacked so you can spray the lube in the case mouths easily. I spray from all 4 sides and then roll them around in the drawer and let the alcohol evaporate. Then size away.

As long as you use the lube liberally, you will not get a stuck case. They size butter smooth and on normal size cases my extreme spread of base to datum measurement is normally .001" or less. It is the best process I have found for getting very consistent shoulder bump and also happens to be the fastest.

Since seeing the YouTube video by 6.5 Guys and trying it, I would not do it any other way now. It is that good.

Also, as was suggested earlier, please buy a reloading book or find an online resource to help. Reloading obviously carries a fair amount of risk. It is helpful to understand all of what happens when a case is fired and the why behind the step by step process of reloading. Following someone's strict step by step process might serve you. However, the deeper understanding of what is happening and why allows us to troubleshoot as well as create process variations that best serve our particular interests. Without a thorough understanding of the basic concepts you are floating on a life raft in the ocean.