• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help on 308 Ammo for a Prep Situation

markinsevier1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2013
I['m putting this question in this forum as my weapons are 24 inch DPMS 308's.

Anyway, I've read lots of threads about the "best" 308 long range round so I've got that figured out well enough, however I'm in the process of buying all the necessary things for disaster survival & $40 a box 308 ammo is not in my budget abilities, when thinking of a couple thousand rounds to stockpile.

So my question is, what would be a good round that falls in the mid-range price category, say maybe $20 a box ?

What I need is something that will give me the ability to engage at the farther ranges, 600 to 800 yds or more. My goal is to be able to keep any potential problems as far away as possible as I have a partially crippled left leg and need the extra time to disappear.

I'd love to be able to load up on FGMM 168 Sierras' but I also need water purification tools, med supplies, etc.

Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you want something more than 150g FMJBT stuff I would look at:
Remington Core Loct 150g

or

Federal Fusion 150g

Both are generally readily available at that $20 or less per box(at Walmart no less) price point and they both have great terminal ballistics.

Another to look at might be Hornady 155g TAP, but I dont know if you can get it at that $20 a box price point.

SGammo.com has PPU 147gr brass case reloadable new for 60 cents a rd. Good ammo, good price!

Good quality match rounds will last you longer because of their predictable trajectory at longer ranges. Definitely less misses shooting at distance with good quality ammunition.

7.62 ball ammo still has a predictable trajectory...

When you decide what ammo you are going to stockpile, make sure you actually shoot some to see what the trajectory is. write in your dope book and go on.

I['m putting this question in this forum as my weapons are 24 inch DPMS 308's.

Anyway, I've read lots of threads about the "best" 308 long range round so I've got that figured out well enough, however I'm in the process of buying all the necessary things for disaster survival & $40 a box 308 ammo is not in my budget abilities, when thinking of a couple thousand rounds to stockpile.

So my question is, what would be a good round that falls in the mid-range price category, say maybe $20 a box ?

What I need is something that will give me the ability to engage at the farther ranges, 600 to 800 yds or more. My goal is to be able to keep any potential problems as far away as possible as I have a partially crippled left leg and need the extra time to disappear.

I'd love to be able to load up on FGMM 168 Sierras' but I also need water purification tools, med supplies, etc.

Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
My advice to you is not to come onto an open forum talking about engaging "problems" at distances where deadly force would likely not be justified, crippled leg or not.

Preppers... For fuck's sake.

Why is that a problem? He has a known engagement range and has a logistical problem to support the performance that he needs.
I suspect a whole lot of people have gone to the 7.62 platforms for similar reasons. Many here are not law enforcement or military.

My advice to you is not to come onto an open forum talking about engaging "problems" at distances where deadly force would likely not be justified, crippled leg or not.

Preppers... For fuck's sake.

Considering that those "problems" might well be equipped with weapons capable of eliminating any sniping activity (heavy machine gun, mortar, artillery, etc) the smartest thing would be to just hold your fire and evade.

Unless I'm in the middle of a flat open field then I've got lots of options when the "problem" is 600 or more yards away. Why would I want to take a shot and give away my position, especially if my mobility is compromised to begin with.

If one has a tactical position to defend then why not just learn from the Taliban. Mine the area with IED's and make it so any advancing "problem" has to stop and figure out what to do while YOU escape and evade. Rather than stocking up on 7.62 ammo just buy a copy of "The Anarchist's Cookbook" or a military TM on improvised explosives. Just don't blow yourself up while waiting for those "problems".

even after a disaster of biblical proportion there will still be some kind of law enforcement and in the end somebody will have to answer to who ever is in charge . defending ones home is not the same as trying to pick off people at 1/2 mile that may or may not seek you harm . if there is military intervention then drones render the avenging angel of the resistance an obsolete concept .
I know a thing or two about being preppard . I live in the middle of the forrest in an area prone to ice storms that happens to be in tornado alley located on the new madrid fault line I spent sunday watching a wall cloud go to the south of us a few miles and one go to the north you probably have seen it on the news by now. there is nothing wrong with having a supply of ammo on hand but I would put the emphasis on water first then food and medical supplies . I would also say hunting ammo would be better than target or mil-surp ammo and start reloading . quit watching tv and buy some good books like the sas survival guide and the air force escape and evation manual . mother earth news is a good magazine to subscribe to and start depending on yourself for basic needs and not rely so much on commercial outlets . for us the closest medical facility is 30 miles away and due to our location we are the last people to get assistance when there is a power outage so we prepare accordingly for that . I will say that from past experience when things have gone bad I use my chainsaws and tractor more than my rifles . one more thing federal fusion 150 grain soft points work great at a reasonable price.

You might want to check gun-deals.XXX. I didn't want to post the entire link because I think there is a prohibition about posting links to places that aren't site sponsors. The site I mentioned uses internet user input data to give you the most recent pricing for various types of ammo.

You might want to check gun-deals.XXX. I didn't want to post the entire link because I think there is a prohibition about posting links to places that aren't site sponsors. The site I mentioned uses internet user input data to give you the most recent pricing for various types of ammo.

I believe that "rule" applies to some of the dumbasses on the site linking to businesses they own/operate selling stuff without paying for the privilege of being sponsors/vendors of the Hide, as well as links to off-site auction type sites by others who are "cross-posting" or otherwise attempting to skirt the rules regulating the For Sale section...not links such as the one you almost provided, but refrained. ;)

In the spirit of "following" the rules...here's a couple good links to check out for ammo deals:

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

Free Shipping on 308 and 7.62x51 Ammo - AmmoMan.com

.308 / 7.62 NATO : Ammo To Go

.308/7.62 - Rifle Ammunition - Ammunition

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Good luck with your preparedness.

I think if we are creative, but restrain ourselves, we can give people helpful information while staying within both the rules, and Lowlight's intent for making those rules. XXX.gun-deals.XXX isn't too damned hard to figure out.

I think if we are creative, but restrain ourselves, we can give people helpful information while staying within both the rules, and Lowlight's intent for making those rules. XXX.gun-deals.XXX isn't too damned hard to figure out.

I'm not encouraging anyone to break any of forum's rules. Its LL's forum, so his house=his rules...no exceptions as far as I'm concerned. If I'm wrong in my reading/interpretation of those rules, I'll gladly stand down and apologize to the powers that be for my mistake(s) and see that I'm more careful in the future, but I think that you are misreading said rule and misapplying it to the info being given. Feel free to hit the "Report"/"Notify" button on my post above with the links in it and seek clarification from the Mods if you are so inclined. No worries from me either way.

I provide people with links to various sites for information purposes as well as for sources on where to purchase items on an almost daily basis, if not at least weekly basis, and have never been called out on potentially breach of the supposed rule you are talking about in the 8+ years I've been a member here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled, tin-foil hat zone preparedness readings/inquiries/etc. ;)

I don't have any beef with anyone's posting stuff. Whether or LL doesn't like what they post is between them and LL. I haven't yet felt the need to use the "report" button, and this topic is light years away from that. I always err on the side of excessive caution with posting stuff that may violate some rules or code of conduct, but that is on me. I'm not accusing anyone of any impropriety...this issue doesn't even get my "tell someone", or "I'm offended" needles to budge from the start position.

I like it when people post stuff that makes it easy for me to link to it, or to find it. That is one of the beauties of the internet.

Carry on, as you were, and all that stuff.