• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help On Berger 6.5mm 130gr VLD Hunting Projectiles For 6.5x55

Kiwi Loader

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2021
New Zealand
Hi Folks,
I'm new here and this has probably been asked before, so sorry in advance.
NZ is currently going through a crisis in purchasing, powders, projectiles etc.. I believe its pretty bad everywhere, not just here.
The shelves are bare for all 6.5mm projectiles, in the shops, online, nothing for 6 months at least. To the point I purchased a Troy straight pull in .223 just so I have available ammo, can reload something and not stress at the range how many rounds I'm using.
I happened to fluke a box of the Berger 130gr VLD Hunting pills, 1 box per customer only!!
Anyway I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5x55 both Tikka T3, the Creedmoor is a TAC A1.
I jumped at the chance and purchased the projectiles knowing that Berger is quality tackle, unfortunately I didn't do any data research for the projectiles.
Usually shoot the ELDXs but they are not in country.
I have found some information for the Creedmoor and am comfortable with the start loads COAL etc.. but really bought them for the 6.5x55.
I just thought I would download an app like Hornady pay for the cartridges and away I would go, (fail).
There is virtually no information on the net for the 6.5 x 55 and the Berger projectile. The only powders I have is Varget, H4350 and VV N560, not in great quantiles but enough.
Does anyone have any relevant information they could share for the 6.5x55 with the mentioned projectile/ powder types. Case length, COAL, Min and Max weight, and velocities if possible. I will tweak the loads after I get something to actually start with, I understand these projectiles are jump sensitive so know I will have to adjust the COAL after I get somewhere to start. I will convert to these for the 6.5x55 if I can get the grouping I'm expecting.

Thanks in Advance

Get the VV app. Then i would start off based on the 130gr hpbt Norma.
Unless they update.
Start 10% below minimum. And work up.

Just use any 130 data and start low.
H4350 and N560 will work.
Hodgdon has 129 grain H4350 data but looks mild for older rifles.
And vihtavouri has N560 data with a similar bullet.

Thanks Gents, I appreciate your feedback, my concern really is the COAL to start with, but if the 130gr hpbt Norma is similar in length will work with that. I usually start midway with powder weight and work from there, + less seating depth = less pressure, we don't have extreme temps here so happy to start 1/2 way, blah blah not preaching to smarter people than me.
I think the swede is a fine cartridge but it seems to be treated as an invalid as so many ancient ex military weapons are floating around. Shows the quality but doesn't help modern firearm owners getting the fps that could be achieved.
Thanks so much for your reply's, I think I just needed to run stuff by smart people to get a start on things.
Cheers
PS any load data will be appreciated

Thanks Gents, I appreciate your feedback, my concern really is the COAL to start with, but if the 130gr hpbt Norma is similar in length will work with that. I usually start midway with powder weight and work from there, + less seating depth = less pressure, we don't have extreme temps here so happy to start 1/2 way, blah blah not preaching to smarter people than me.
I think the swede is a fine cartridge but it seems to be treated as an invalid as so many ancient ex military weapons are floating around. Shows the quality but doesn't help modern firearm owners getting the fps that could be achieved.
Thanks so much for your reply's, I think I just needed to run stuff by smart people to get a start on things.
Cheers
PS any load data will be appreciated
In Scandinavia the 65*55 is the standard. Way before anyone heard of creedmore😁
80mm have not been an issue in anyone of my rifles. But you can always reduce col. I believe factory Norma is 76mm but load data for same bullets are 80mm.

Not a bad idea to jump test and see what works best in your rifle.

Like I said vitavoury has load data on site and an app you can download.

From app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-132318.png
    Screenshot_20210909-132318.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Yes, its a great round, I owned a 6.5x55 before the 6.5 creedmoor was in production or heard of. Researched the heck out of it before settling. I was a 270 fan and owner through and through before hand. I have the Vitavoury app and is awesome but no load data for Berger in the weight I purchased. I will follow what you have suggested. 80mm to start, low pressure charges, what could go wrong?? HaHa

The VLD and the HPBT are different shapes and will yield differnt pressure curves

Hi, So no to the loads ? Th1nor seemed very knowledgeable/logical, Where do i start then? Cheers
The difference is minor unless your at thermonuclear levels, if you start at reasonable starting load levels it’s a non issue.
People love to over think reloading, start safe, find your happy place and be happy.

6.5x55 is an excellent cartridge and the lapua 6.5x55 brass certainly helped the lapua reputation grow.
Lots of its data is neutered for old rifles but depending on barrel length 2800-2900 with 130’s should be a breeze in a modern rifle.

The vihtavouri 6.5x55 skan data for the 136 scenar Is what I would run with with any 130 grain cup/core in a modern rifle.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree with the above especially if the scandi guys have already done this empirically. i'm just mentioning the reason why you need to pay attention to what you are doing. Here is the spec sheet for berger bullets which has the 130vld vs some other shapes.

As an aside, the Berger folks in the US will often times give you loda data over the phone they won't publish publically for various reasons.

They also publihed one off load pages for newer bullets like 140gr elite hunter. They privately may have other data sets on other shapes eg 130VLD. There is VV560 load data in the tear sheet:

Last edited:
Thank you all for your time and wisdom, You are right, I am over thinking things, but like to get things right, Yes I bet there is a multitude of data not being shared and understand why.
Thanks again for you time and links, really appreciate it.