• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help picking scope for Ruger American .308

rider01

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2013
NW Arkansas
Hey guys, first post here. I just got a Ruger American rifle, in .308 caliber, and would like some suggestions on a scope in the $200 to $300 range. I like Leupold and am kinda leaning towards the VX1 series.

I plan to use the rifle for some hunting and maybe an intro into long range shooting.
Thanks
Rob

Welcome to the Hide. I'm a fan of the affordable Ruger American, it is nice an light and there are several scopes for $200-$300 that would be great with it.

The good ole 3-9x40 is a tried and true size and mag range, and useful for that rifle at all realistic ranges.
Leupold is also tried and true, with thousands of Vx1's out there. They are not anything special optically though, and for that same price there are newer options that will be clearer and have much better resolution. If going with a Leupy, I'd at least step up to Vx2.

Check these out:

Vortex Diamondback
Burris Fullfield II
Sightron SII
Bushnell elite
Minox ZA

And definitely Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. You will not encounter better glass than the Conquest until you spend over $600. They can be found on close out for around $325-$350 and worth every penny, and is miles ahead of VX2 and on par/better than VX3, IMO. If that is too rich, the Minox ZA 3-9x50 (around $230) is also one of the clearest scopes under $600.

Thanks, Crosshair.
I'll give all these options a look. I've looked through the Leupold and didn't think the glass could get much better.

On my remkngton 700 sps tactical 308 I have the weaver grand slam 3-9x40 mil/mil midway special for $299. I like it a lot clear glass and hold zero. For the money I think it's a great scope. The mil dots aren't too thick and are visible at all power levels very clear. I purchased this scope for te same reasons as you. Using this until I can get my vortex or NF.

Maybe an swfa 6X42. Low enough power for hunting, enough magnification for ranges that that rifle is capable of, good reticle to learn ranging, and mil turrets if you want to start dialing in. Or pick up an swfa 3-9x42 used or on the samples list, they are really good. The weaver midway exclusive is also a good option, but you won't have much elevation travel.

I'm a fan of the Nikon Buckmaster line for that price range. I have a 4.5-14x40 on a cheap Ruger 308 and it works nice for the money

I found a Zeiss Conquest for $369, can get a Vortex Diamondback for $200. Is the Zeiss worth the extra $169 over the Vortex? Thanks for all the recommendations, I've been looking at the Nikons also.
What height of scope rings should I get?
I have an older NCStar on the gun now and the zero seems to be wandering is why I'm even in the market for a new scope.
Thanks

I found a Zeiss Conquest for $369, can get a Vortex Diamondback for $200. Is the Zeiss worth the extra $169 over the Vortex? Thanks for all the recommendations, I've been looking at the Nikons also.
What height of scope rings should I get?
I have an older NCStar on the gun now and the zero seems to be wandering is why I'm even in the market for a new scope.
Thanks

While I think the diamondback it one of the absolute best in the $200 price range, the Zeiss is definitely worth the little extra, IMO. I think most guys would say the Conquest is maybe the overall best hunting choice under $700ish. Even at the $500ish original prices, they were considered a best buy.

Either the Conquest or the Diamondback will make the NcStar seem like you have been looking through an optical mud-puddle on your rifle.

Last edited:
Visit www.natchezss.com and do a search for their remaining Nitrex TR1 scopes....basically around 3-9 scopes left to sell. Nitrex TR1 scopes are often compared to Weaver Grand Slam or at least Classic V scopes. The Nitrex were made in same Japanese Light Optical Works (LOW) factory as the Weaver Grand and Super Slams. Nitrex and Weaver owned by same company and Weaver will handle any warranty on the discontinued Nitrex label. Own a couple of the Nitrex TR2 scopes and there is no difference between them and the Weaver label Super Slam I own, other than the name on the scope. Low also makes the Bushnell Elites, high end Sightrons and other known brands. So, darn nice optics in the Nitrex and the turret adjustments should be just as nice.

Remaining Nitrex at Natchez are well discounted in price....quite a buy, probably around $120 in price. This is well below 1/2 the regular cost of the scope. Just be aware Natchez has two problems....probably a $15 shipping/handling charge and if you live in a state adjoining Tennessee, may not be able to buy from them.

The Nitrex are worth a look.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I went ahead and ordered the Zeiss Conquest, it'll stretch the budget pretty tight, but hopefully will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks Again

Rob

On my remkngton 700 sps tactical 308 I have the weaver grand slam 3-9x40 mil/mil midway special for $299. I like it a lot clear glass and hold zero. For the money I think it's a great scope. The mil dots aren't too thick and are visible at all power levels very clear. I purchased this scope for te same reasons as you. Using this until I can get my vortex or NF.

This. For a combo hunting and LR scope this is your best option in your price range. I have two and they've been perfectly reliable and track flawlessly. Glass is great for a $300 scope.

I'm a fan of the Nikon Buckmaster line for that price range. I have a 4.5-14x40 on a cheap Ruger 308 and it works nice for the money

I have this exact setup with Burris Low rings on the EGW 20MOA mount on my American in .308.

Guess I should have asked my question differently, is the 20 MOA mount taller than a standard mount, or does it point the scope upward to get the most out of the elevation adjustment? Not sure there's even such a thing, kinda new to long range shooting and just trying to get up to speed on it.

Thanks

Guess I should have asked my question differently, is the 20 MOA mount taller than a standard mount, or does it point the scope upward to get the most out of the elevation adjustment? Not sure there's even such a thing, kinda new to long range shooting and just trying to get up to speed on it.

Thanks

Exactly. They are for getting 20moa more elevation in addition to whatever you end up with after zeroing. I believe Conquests have 75moa of adjustment. So, depending of a 100 yard or 200 yard zero, you will have ballpark 37 moa of 'up' left over. A canted rail like the EGW would give you a hypothetical 57ish moa of up.

If you are using your rifle for a simple hunting setup you won't need one, as you will zero it and forget it. The only downside to a canted rail, really is that you don't look directly through the center of the scope and some scopes are slightly distorted, some are not noticeable. It's also nice to not have the adjustment close to being maxed out continually.

If you are wanting to flex it into a long range rig, you will be dialing the turrets frequently. In that case the extra 20moa can add up to a lot more range. That rifle and scope combo isn't ideal, and is certainly geared towards hunting, but for fun can be stretched out pretty far. When using a rifle in multiple roles you have to choose your trade offs. For hunting it is nice to have a compact capped turrets like the Conquest has, but they do make exposed turrets for them if you want to dial up and down a lot. This thread has some good info: Elevation Turret for Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40? - 24hourcampfire

If you've already ordered the Conquest, cool. If not, and are really wanting to dial out past 400yards much, the Weaver mentioned above would be a better choice for 'tactical' use, but not as ideal for hunting as the Conquest. I'd suggest learning with the Ruger/Conquest combo, then save it aside as a light weight hunter and get a whole new rifle and scope later on for dedicated long range precision. You can easily get a nice budget setup under $1k.

Heavy barrels, exposed turrets, bipods etc., are very useful for long range stuff, but very inconvenient for most hunting.

Thanks Crosshair, you just answered all my questions, even ones I didn't know I had until I read your post! LOL