• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Please-7 rem mag case sizing

Hurricane7mag

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
About 1/4 of the cases that I FL size leave a dimple in the shoulder. I can not figure this out. I have some reloading experience but this is the first Belted Cases that I have tried to reload. I am using Redding dies. The brass is once fired "but not from my gun".
I have the FL sizing Die contacting the shell holder "as instructed on Reddings instructions that came with the die set." I have tried setting the Die off of the shell holder "a small amount" but the bolt on my gun "7rem mag" will not close when chambering a round. The rounds chamber fine when I set the die contacting the shell holder.
Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Terry

Re: Help Please-7 rem mag case sizing

Sounds like debris in your die. Have you cleaned them lately? Too much lube build up will also cause case neck damage, if you clean them it should fix the problem. As for the chambering issue I think you already figured that one out...

I took the die apart and cleaned it. I did not appear to be dirty. I'm using Imperial sizing wax. 1 out of 3 or 4 cases still leaves a dipple from the shoulder to the base of the neck. I tried to post a pic. but I'm new to this site. I'm not having much luck getting anything done tonight. ha ha.

I had the same issue and found a small speck of brass stuck inside the die. I could not see it at first. It wasn't until after cleaning it out with brake cleaner a couple times and still having the same problem that I looked inside with a light and saw the brass speck.

Sounds like too much lube to me. You might try VERY LITTLE lube and see if the dents go away.

I would also suggest a set of bump guages to check set back of the shoulder.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone,
I'll try everything ya'll have suggested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like too much lube to me. You might try VERY LITTLE lube and see if the dents go away.

I would also suggest a set of bump guages to check set back of the shoulder.

Good luck. </div></div>
+1, sounds like too much lube

There is a company that makes a sweet collet die for the belted magnums to bring the case to the exact size you need it for reliable feeding.Google 7mm rem mag collet die.He is in florida.

jonbearman ......

I'm the guy that makes the <span style="font-weight: bold">Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die</span>. SO far, there are almost 4,000 of them in use. However, this particular situation sounds like a hydrolic lube dent caused by too much case lube.

There is no reason for lube dents to occur, because the case shoulder doesn't require ANY lube - not even a little bit.

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I finally got some time to try everyones suggestions. I think using less lube did the trick. I also was using new redding dies that I failed to clean out of the box. I gave them a good cleaning as suggested.That may have help some also. My problem is gone.
I did not know that lubing the case shoulder wasn't required. Thanks Innovative .
Thanks to everyone for their help.
Great web site!