• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes HELP PLEASE: M70 Pre 64 Scope Base

j_ryman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Hello,

I am having a Winchester M70 Pre-64 feather-weight (originally built in the Mid- 50's i believe) custumized. I am wanting to put a 1 piece tactical scope mounting rail on the rifle but can not seem to a company that make one for this particular rifle. Can anyone tell me what brand and module to use? I will be mounting a ziess conquest 4.5x14X50 scope inside Seekins 1" Rings. Any addvice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

call richard near (near mfg). He will make you a nice one. You will need to know which hole design your m70 is as i believe there were 2 different configurations on the pre-64 depending on the year. You might also ask him about the alpha hunter base/ring. He makes it for weatherby and winchester. It is a gorgeous mount, and would be much more graceful on your pre-64 imho.

J

Near mfg is a very good advice, one of the better ones out there for sure.
Badger?
Ken farrel as mentioned.
EGW has a ton of models for m70's.
Seekins precison used to have them available on web site i believe.
Us optics if they make bases anymore.
Recknagel.
Nightforce?
Weaver?

My M70 has a leupold and dovetail, not what your looking for.

I would call Farrell. I have had good luck with other products from him.

Be careful with ordering the Near base. They list a model for the pre-64 but I got two separate bases from them that would not fit my pre-64 action. They may have remedied this now, not sure.

Again, the pre-64's had 2 different rear hole patterns if i remember correctly. Some of the early ones did not have any holes drilled. You just need to measure yours and tell him what you have.

I have an Alpha Hunter and it's not even close to a tactical set up but I do like it a lot and will be getting another soon for my new to me Mark V Lazermark in 257 Weatherby!