• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help press selection 1st time reloader

I have been using a RCBS Rockchucker for 40 years. It still works fine. That said I load most of my 9 mm stuff on a Dillon. Call me a snob if you must but a 550 is very hard to beat for versatility and production. There are plenty of better shooters than me who load their match rifle ammo on 550s. For the 9mm a single stage is a lot of time. When that was all I had I loaded after the kids were put to bed. When they were old enough to shoot I let them pick up brass I I got the Dillon.

I still us the Rockchucker to seat my bullets on match rifle ammo or when I am making a few rounds to try something different.

All of this theoretical crap from internet commandoes is not entirely untrue but much of it is not practically applicable either. If you will do all of your shooting from a bench on clear sunny days with no wind and the blue birds singing to you go ahead and worry about the shell plate tipping on a progressive or the difference in concentricity achieved from match dies vs Lee dies. Maybe even join in on the debate about number of Angles who can sit on the head of a pin.

Since your stated objective was to produce 9mm and .223 ammo my best guess is you want range ammo at an affordable cost. If you want /need some precision match in .223/5.56 you can buy a couple of boxes for the present.

With the 9mm the Dillon 550 with plated or polymer coated bullets will supply you with a good supply of ammo.

For a .223 unless you need MOA ammo you can easily make better than factory ammo with either the single stage, the turret press, or the Dillon. The difference between two minute ammo and three quarter minute ammo is bullets all else being equal, match bullets fly better. Bulk FMJ will vary some.

The bottom line will come to availability, budget and your aspirations. Also factor in your personal attention to detail. If you are too busy to read a manual just buy your ammo. If a slow learner or really tight budget get a single stage. If you have a good ability to focus and concentrate get a progressive.

Any of the iron single stage presses will work and last you a lifetime. Some of the Lee presses are aluminum and wear out quicker than the iron presses.

The progressive presses to consider are the Dillon and the Hornady. I am heavily invested in the Dillons and own several with extra tool heads and accessories. I have no experience with the Hornady but I hear good things and Hornady is a stand up company.

Watch some "Ulitmate Reloader" videos. Gavin is a talented guy who could probably make a diamond out of frog turd. I am not that talented so I take some of his "look how easy this is" inferences with a grain of salt.

Ultimately simple is the best to start with and can be complicated later.

cheers!

i saw what the rockchucker kit was going for, i about shit. why would anyone when a 550 aint that much more.

55o all the way. find someone in your AO that is willing to spend some time and help you get rolling. shouldnt be that hard to find someone. you can always post videos on here if you have an issue.

The ammo David Tubb used to win his national match titles was loaded on a 550. You can load precision ammo on one. It may be a little more difficult for a beginner, but...