• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help read this brass!

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
Hey guys, I was getting ready to clean my brass and found these 6 cases from a batch of 100 that I shot in my ruger 77 stainless varmit rifle. I have been running the same loads in the gun since new. 80gr nozler balistic tips with 38.4gr of imr4895 and win primers loaded in win brass. I looked in the chamber and do not see any sign of corresponding marks. They are all exactly the same marks on 5 pieces and one has the longer mark on the right and one odd mark running horizontal above it.
The brass was on it's 3rd firing. I had necksized the brass when loading but I am oldmost positive these are from firing not loading. I did check the sizer and seating dies for forign material and did not find anything. These were loaded on a single stage press and I don't think I would have missed these marks while loading. Any thoughts?
243brass005.jpg

243brass018.jpg

Re: Help read this brass!

Looks like ya got something up in your chamber, possiblily a piece of the case mouth that came off a case. Shine a light up in there and hopefully it'll come out.

Topstrap

I would agree with something in the chamber. After you clean the bore of the rifle you need to clean the solvent and crud from the chamber. I use a 45 caliber cotton mop with a large cleaning patch wrapped around it.

ive seen the same marks on my 22-250 cases it happens when you seat your bullet a little shaving of copper is sitting around the case mouth and comes off in your chamber, just chamfer the inside of your case mouth before loading and that wont happen....

Thanks guys. I looked in the chamber again and nothing there. I suspect there were a couple shavings that got stuck in the chamber area for 6 shots then worked their way out. I just figured with as snug as the fireformed brass chambers I would have felt something in the chamber when trying to close the bolt but, I guess not. I will make sure to chamfer the brass a little more on the next loads.

You can see whatever was there, moved towards the neck shoulder junction on the case to the far right.

Copper jacket shavings off your bullets. Be sure to chamfer your case mouths before you load the casings. The Sinclair VLD chamfer tool on a cordless drill is the ticket. Hold casing over a garbage can and zap it. Done, ready to load, no damage to bullet, no casings in the chamber! Perfect.

John