• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help reading an OCW test....

KOPFJÄGER13

If people were half as good as they think..
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
Hey everyone, new to this site, obviously first post.... i appreciate your patience with me on a very beat to death subject. What grain weight would you choose from this test?

Sorry, forgot to state that its my opinion 44.9 would be the best choice....

I’m not seeing a pic?
20180911_203829.jpg

Rem 700 5Rmilspec.... 308... round is 168gr SMK

The seating depth right now is set to mag lengh of 2.855".....that put that particular rifle at .065" jump.....

44.3 looks like its got a tight group with little vertical deviation. Did you get velocities for these loads as well? I like to compare grouping with velocity to add to the information i am looking at when selecting a load.
I dont know where youre at in your process for this round but i like to load my tighest groups and the charges around them to confirm what past results.
I would load every 1/10th grain from 44.2 too 45.0; 3 round groups and track velocities before i make a selection on a charge.

44.3 looks like its got a tight group with little vertical deviation. Did you get velocities for these loads as well? I like to compare grouping with velocity to add to the information i am looking at when selecting a load.
I dont know where youre at in your process for this round but i like to load my tighest groups and the charges around them to confirm what past results.
I would load every 1/10th grain from 44.2 too 45.0; 3 round groups and track velocities before i make a selection on a charge.
The whole point of OCW is to find a wide range of charges that shoot alike and well, not to find a magic charge down to the tenth of a grain. Breaking a 1 grain range into tenths to test again is tedious and not necessary IMO.

Reactions: Chalkeye
My understanding, aligned to the others, is that Dan Newberry’s OCW was intended to give you a charge that was less sensitive to temp, powder weight etc. According to the OCW you are looking for exactly is in the picture. 44.8 would be my choice. Depending on what your shooting purpose is either call it good or work on seeking depth.

Thanks guys, i just wanred to make sure my head was in the right place.... 44.8-9 is what i was thinking too....

No i didnt get velocities, i usually find "that load" and then zero the scope to it & get velocity, SD & ES in order to get a decent start to a dope card......

Reactions: OzTRG
Seems to me there is a node between 44.7 and 44.9. As @spife7980 said make a 44.8 load and play with the seating deph.
IMO a “node” between 3/10 of a charge weight is not a node. On a 40+ grain load I am looking for a node that is nearly a grain wide. I think he has that between 44.3 and 45.1. I would not want to settle at 44.8, only 3/10 under 45.1.

IMO a “node” between 3/10 of a charge weight is not a node. On a 40+ grain load I am looking for a node that is nearly a grain wide. I think he has that between 44.3 and 45.1. I would not want to settle at 44.8, only 3/10 under 45.1.
Are you saying 44.7 as "the load" youd work with? I was leaning toward 44.9 to maybe grab a few fps...but i dont want to cheat myself chasing velocity...

The idea is to get in the middle of the node so a little more or a little less pressure doesn't push you out of it.
.....and thats the wsy i understood it, 44.7-44.9 seems to be the middle of the node.... i just wanted everyones opinion, this was very tight as far as deviation, it seems as though the rifle will be relatively forgiving....

.....and thats the wsy i understood it, 44.7-44.9 seems to be the middle of the node.... i just wanted everyones opinion, this was very tight as far as deviation, it seems as though the rifle will be relatively forgiving....

No 44.7-44.9 is the node. 44.8 is in the middle. Or thats the hypothesis we gained from the target.

Reactions: KOPFJÄGER13
Thanks for taking a look at it with me everyone, i appreciate it, and will take the time to work with 44.8.......

Im at .065" now, im not use to seating further and getting better groups.... seems like its always been the case for me to seat between .045 & .010..... but ill give anything a shot to see if i can improve....