• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help reloading for 6.5 creedmoor in an LMT/AR10 platform

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
So I just swapped to a 6.5 CM barrel for my LMT MWS. 20" SS with 1/8 twist. Started working up a load using the satterlee ladder test. First time trying this and I usually do OCW.

Components:

Starline small primer brass
Fed 205M primer
H4350
Sierra 142gr SMK
COAL 2.815"

Charge and velocity as follows:
1) 41.0 - 2695
2) 41.2 - 2716
3) 41.4 - 2720
4) 41.6 - 2726
5) 41.8 - 2747
6) 42.0 - 2755
7) 42.2 - 2755
8) 42.4 - 2767 (blew out the primer so I stopped here)

Looks like I have a pretty wide node between 41.2 and 41.6 grains. So I loaded up 5 rounds with 41.4 grains and got the following chronograph numbers:
MV = 2717
SD = 9
ES = 22
I had one flier that made the group 1.13 MOA. Without it the 4 shots were 0.66 MOA with 3 rounds through the same hole. So it looks like this is a winner.

Now two questions/problems. First, I had loaded up a few rounds with 40gr of powder to use as sighters. All other specs were the same and I got the following chronograph data from 10 rounds:
MV - 2677
SD - 6
ES - 23
Didn't measure the group size but it was >1 MOA.

Second, every single one of the rounds I fired from 40gr up to 42.4 gr had some primer cratering and most had some ejector swipe. The primers were not flattened and the edges were definitely still rounded.
I shouldn't be over pressure on the lower charge weights I don't think. I even shot some hornady factory ammo to check if maybe the velocity was excessive for my barrel. It was hornady black loaded with 140gr BTHP and I got a MV of 2657 FPS and no primer cratering or ejector swipe. The factory ammo had large primer pockets though so I'm wondering if this is normal with small primers.

So do you guys think I could be over pressure on the 40gr and 41.4 gr loads? Is there anything else that could be causing the cratering and should I be worried? I sometimes get ejector marks when I'm shooting the .308 barrel with the LMT but it doesn't look as bad as this. I can attach pics if that would help

Second, what load would you use based on the date? Both will stay supersonic out to 1000 yards which is as far as I'm going to be shooting.

Couple of things you might look at. If you’ve got mileage on your BCG, a fresh set of gas rings might be in order. Would also play around with a heavier buffer weight and higher spring rate to slow down BCG a bit. JP silent capture spring is very tuneable, Tubb Carrier Weight and flat wire spring another option.
I shoot 41.5 H4350 with 140 AMax in two different AR’s with very good results, both with small diameter firing pins and don’t beat up brass much, if at all. Lots of load data in reloading threads, some specific to loading large frame AR’s. Search function is your friend.

Ok, first looking at primer cratering, this may simply be due to bolt firing pin clearance. May or not be pressure. I would also recommend switching to Rem 7-1/2, or CCI 41, BR4 or 450 primers which should have harder cups.

Comparing velocity to Sierra 6th you look like you are hitting max pressure/ velocity about 1 grain below Sierra’s max load of 43.3/2780 out of a 24 in barrel. Hodgdon lists 41.5/2694 in a 24” barrel and you are there.

I think your 41.4 is probably where I would stop, and i would look somewhere around 40gr for a node. BUT thats just my opinion.

@bobke I've got a little over 1000 rounds on the bcg so it should be ok. I'll look into the springs you mentioned. I've looked through and it seems like most people are using 40-42 gr h4350 with 140s in 6.5 including in ARs so it seems like the charge weights should be gtg.

@Doom thanks for the input. I was looking at the sierra manual and I had loaded charges up to 43gr based on that. The hornady manual for 140-143gr bullets has a max charge of 41.5 so between all these I think I'm leaning more toward looking more at the 40gr range. It should still give me enough velocity for my purposes.

I had the 20” Creedmoor barrel in my LMT and I was never above 41.2 grains with the 140’s. I had the best luck with the 130 tipped Match Kings and the 130 AR Hybrid. I think I was at 41.5-42.0 grains of H4350 with the 130 grain bullets