• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help - Remington 300 WSM Long Range Tactical

OceanTackle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
I have some questions about putting together a long range/sniper rifle in 300wsm. I want the 300wsm over 308 for the flatness, extra power, and so I can hand load for this and my hunting rifle with the same equipment. I have searched all over and I’m just not coming up with very many heavy barreled 300wsm’s as a starting platform. I figured going Remington and short action, I could keep a lot of the simplicity and accessory options as going 308. I am on a pretty strict budget, as this is my 1st LR rig and I am not going to go overboard with custom actions, competition barrels, etc…

Here are my questions:

Is there a reasonably priced Rem action available in wsm or do I need to buy a full rifle and sacrifice everything but…?

What is a good barrel option in the $150-200 range? I definitely want to put a brake on it so it doesn’t beat me to death like my hunting rifle.

Can I use the same bottom metal/magazines (Wyatt’s DBM) as you would for a 308?

Will I need a gunsmith to mate the barrel and action?

Ultimately, I’m looking for something I can grow with and upgrade as I go. I’d really like to get the barreled action under $700 if that’s possible. I’ll worry about the stock and extras later.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I am coming up blank on searching all this stuff.

Re: Help - Remington 300 WSM Long Range Tactical

Cheap and good can be a difficult combination...

You're right there aren't many good Rem 300wsm options. I think that's mainly due to Rem's own 300saum, which you can get on a few heavy barreled models. Very similar ballistics, but brass is harder to come by.

You might try going with the AAC .308 w/1in10" twist and get a good smith to rechamber it to .300wsm, open the bolt, add an extractor, and true the action. For sub 1k you could have a pretty nice shooter.

When I look at a PSS, SPS Tac, SPS Varmint, or AAC-SD, I'm into the rifle for $550-900 and I'd have to upgrade the stock on all but the PSS. That's why I'm trying to see if it is possible to get the action and barrel for under $700.

Not likely in a Rem 700... After finding the action/bolt, and getting the barrel, then doing the gunsmithing...I think you'd be over your stated budget. You might wanna look at some of the Savage or Win models.

Yea, the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking that a more simple 308 platform would be better to start with. Thanks for the replys and advice. I'd rather be on the range practicing with a PSS and worry about the custom stuff later on.

For turn key 300wsm look at the FN TSR. It's a bit over your $700 but it does include a tapered scope base. The Houge stock should get you by for a while as it is a full chassis block as opposed to the pillar model that Remington uses.

Savage has a couple of models in 300 WSM, i have a left handed savage in 300 WSM with a custom stock and bolt and it shoots like a dream, if i was looking for another 300 WSM I'd go with savage.