• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help . . . Remington 700 PSS or Remington 700 5R

mossyoak79

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
South Central PA
I'm new to the sport and this forum, Please give me some information. I want to build my first precision rifle and would like to know which is a better platform to start with.

Re: Help . . . Remington 700 PSS or Remington 700 5R

I am new to LR shooting as well and went through the same process you are going through just two months ago. I did a lot of research and spent countless hours on the forums asking these same questions although I was also looking at Savage rifles as well.

I decided on the R700 platform because there are a plethora of smiths that are familiar with that action and easy to find after market accessories that are in stock.

I opted for the Milspec 5R due to the stainless, the rifling and the fact that it has a 24" barrel. It comes with a quality HS precision stock that makes the rifle ready to take to the range the day you receive it without having to modify anything. Above all else, the rifle has a great reputation for being one of the most accurate factory rifles out there. The only thing I wish is that it came cerakoted already from the factory (something I plan to do real soon with mine!!!). Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either one you choose....buy what you like based on your needs and desires. By the way....another R700 you may want to look at is the 700P with a 26 inch barrel and also comes with a quality HS Precision stock.

Here are some images of my 5R with NF 5.5-22x56 scope on NF 20 MOA base and Leupold Mark 4 rings:

Infidel_0046.jpg

Infidel_0047.jpg

Infidel_0048.jpg

Thats a sweat looking R5 you got

Thanks......can't wait until I get the smithing done and migrate the action to the AICS.

Gt thanks for the info, I had already checked out your thread and was drooling. .. I have already done a pile of research on the 700p and 700 5R, that was my question which one to go with. the P is about 200 bucks cheaper than the 5R and I was wandering other than the rifeling what is better about the 5R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gt thanks for the info, I had already checked out your thread and was drooling. .. I have already done a pile of research on the 700p and 700 5R, that was my question which one to go with. the P is about 200 bucks cheaper than the 5R and I was wandering other than the rifeling what is better about the 5R </div></div>

IMHO, I wouldn't classify one as better than the other....it comes down to what you need/want from either of the choices you are considering. Obviously cost is a consideration but to me the rave reviews by folks about the accuracy of the 5R helped. For example, in my research I kept coming across statements such as the one here that CanSniper posted:

<span style="color: #3333FF">"I have had my 5R for about two years, with nearly 3k rounds down the tube it is still an absolute drill. Very happy w/ mine." </span>

Beyond that I preferred the twist rate of the 5R over that of the 700P and the shorter 24" barrel as well. The 5R's stainless steel barreled action was also a plus. To be honest regarding accuracy, I also came across lots of comments from 700P owners that stated their rifles to be very accurate as well.

Of particular note were guys that had both a 5R and a 700P and claimed there was very little difference in accuracy between the two. Also, they both come with HS Precision stocks although the vibes I got from guys that had played with them both was the HS stock on the 700P was better (why....I don't know). Since I was already planning on changing out the stock, I wrote off that feedback. So for me it really came down to the reasons I stated. Hope that helps amigo.

GTGunner

Do you like chocolate or vanilla? There isn't real much difference between the 700P and the 700 "5R". It really comes down to a personal preference they should both perform about the same.

The main difference in the two HS stocks is that the stock on the 700P has a palm swell and is basically the same configuration as the stock used on the M24, sans the adjustable buttstock and its in short action. The stock on the 5R does not have a palmswell. The 5R as has been mentioned is a Stainless Steel barreled action with a 24"barrel that has a 1/11.25" twist and 5 grooves. the 700P is parkerized,with a 26" barrel, 1/12" twist and 6 grooves.

I don't think one has any inherent benefit over the other performance wise. It all comes down to which flavor you want. I like attributes of both rifles.

I liked the idea of the longer barrel and knew that I was going to scrap whatever stock the rifle came with for a new AI AX stock. So in the end I decided to go with the SPS Varmint and give the Rem varmint stock to my dog as a chew toy. The SPS V and 700P in a 26” are the same exact rifle with the exception of the stock.
The AX stock that I ordered from Mile High comes in on Wednesday. I'll post some pics after I get it together.

Happy New Year,

Ike

The stock on my 5R most certainly has a palm swell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had my 5R for about two years, with nearly 3k rounds down the tube it is still an absolute drill. Very happy w/ mine. </div></div>

Likewise here. This will be the last rifle sold if I had to sell any.

5R. Mine shoots lights out. Just about to drop it in a MCM A5.

I bought a PSS in an AICS 1.0 for my first. Was not too bad, but my 5R has been better from day 1. I put it in the AICS that the PSS was in and have not fired the PSS since. I'm considering shipping the PSS off to have it rebarreled in .260. I think it might get some range time then.